HybridZ

ratty shakotan Z (i love pics)

I'm near Southfield Farmington Hills area. Are you going to do the welding yourself or do you plan on having someone do it for you? I'll most likely be installing coilovers in the next few week and i don't have a decent welder (or much skill with one for that matter, haha).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm near Southfield Farmington Hills area. Are you going to do the welding yourself or do you plan on having someone do it for you? I'll most likely be installing coilovers in the next few week and i don't have a decent welder (or much skill with one for that matter, haha).

im getting a family friend to weld it for me, i have no suplies to weld, and no experience haha. maybe come spring time we can meet up. you part of Great Lakes Z Club?

I haven't joined the Great lakes Z club. I probably should though. I looks like a cool group of people. I'd definatly be down to meet up at some point. Also feel free to PM me if you need a hand working on the Z. I also have a couple of extra sevice manuals and the SU carb tunning book.

What coil over setup did you decide to go with?

I haven't joined the Great lakes Z club. I probably should though. I looks like a cool group of people. I'd definatly be down to meet up at some point. Also feel free to PM me if you need a hand working on the Z. I also have a couple of extra sevice manuals and the SU carb tunning book.

What coil over setup did you decide to go with?

I got ground control

Custom made

350 front

250 rear

And 8" springs.

Should be here today!!!

But my z is back at my house. I'm on break so gtta do as much as I can!

Sounds exciting. Good luck on the install!

Thanks! I'll really need it.

If you don't wanna weld, I've heard of people using the circular clamp things where they have 2 screws and you tighten them and set the sleeve on that, I guess it holds up perfectly fine and you don't have to cut or weld

got a lot done today

spent a total of 15 at SOS! yeah i got lucky getting my title finally!

next i worked on the z all day. got some fuel lines situated and got it started!

20141215_140918_zpsgglxehfn.jpg

20141215_170252_zpsfzlmh5qs.jpg

something was causing this float to be really slow. turns out the extra line i had was blocked and caused a vacuum 

gas isnt supposed to be yellow right?sick.png

20141215_164307_zpslmqzko9e.jpg

then i got my coilovers too!!

20141215_172732_zpskzk9ysmq.jpg20141215_173107_zpsyaxjo0pc.jpg20141215_173116_zpskqqnarvg.jpg

also got my turn signals on... kinda...

20141215_140949_zpsjkf8t5ac.jpg

So i need to locate the metal piece of brake line that leads into the wheel well, for driver and passenger in the front.

Other than that I made great progress, have it all apart and grinder down just waiting on my guy so he can weld it.

So here are some update pics!

20141220_1236430_zpsbkpggux0.jpg

Thats a clean cut!

20141220_091654_zpssjmjj2yd.jpg

And all 4 struts decided to be blown and throw oil everywhere :/

Oh my! Got both of my rear spindles out quickly and easily, I'm so lucky!

20141222_101204_zpsmifvox2q.jpg

It used to be a thing to fill the shock body with oil to provide extra cooling for the strut. Maybe some oil spillage from there?

350 is pretty high for the front. Curious to see how long the stock rails hold. 

I know some people like hard suspension, but if you go too hard in our chassis it will find somewhere else to flex, most likely a spot that wasn't designed to. Would be wise to inspect for cracks after a while to see how the chassis likes that level.

Seems like your projects moving along at a pretty good pace, good luck sir.

It used to be a thing to fill the shock body with oil to provide extra cooling for the strut. Maybe some oil spillage from there?

350 is pretty high for the front. Curious to see how long the stock rails hold.

I know some people like hard suspension, but if you go too hard in our chassis it will find somewhere else to flex, most likely a spot that wasn't designed to. Would be wise to inspect for cracks after a while to see how the chassis likes that level.

Seems like your projects moving along at a pretty good pace, good luck sir.

Yeah being home from school is nice.

And I've heard that from a few people which is why I'm doing it, I want a stiffer rife, and I've been told it might cause some flexing, but I will find out, it's all about the set up, and I'm trying to do it right

Ok. I started in similar fashion by lowering my car with cut down stock springs. You probably want to baby it across any type of seam in the road like a bridge abutment or train crossing. That metal to metal feeling really hurts. It was at that point that I started developing cracks in my A-pilar and B-pilar. I know those cracks are common, but before I cut my springs I was crack free.