HybridZ

ratty shakotan Z (i love pics)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly dude, I think I'd try to reupholster them. It looks like someone pissed themselves in the one on the right, and if you have any hopes of getting a girl to ride in your Z, that's gonna be a show stopper. I don't know what your budget is like, but MSA sells kits for ~$250 that will do both seats. If that's too much, get some automotive fabric you like, and try doing it yourself, if you have a sewing machine available. You can use the old upholstry as a guide to cut out the new fabric. Your first try may not fit great, but IMO it'll be better than what you have.

BTW, are you driving it on salted roads? Your pic of the Z out in the snow has me worried, lol.

Edited by rturbo 930

Honestly dude, I think I'd try to reupholster them. It looks like someone pissed themselves in the one on the right, and if you have any hopes of getting a girl to ride in your Z, that's gonna be a show stopper. I don't know what your budget is like, but MSA sells kits for ~$250 that will do both seats. If that's too much, get some automotive fabric you like, and try doing it yourself, if you have a sewing machine available. You can use the old upholstry as a guide to cut out the new fabric. Your first try may not fit great, but IMO it'll be better than what you have.

BTW, are you driving it on salted roads? Your pic of the Z out in the snow has me worried, lol.

I'm building this z for me, not for others, I got those seats because I liked them, and want to keep them that way, I'd definitely clean them a ton, then I'd put the patches on a couple spots and where you sit.

As for the snow, I live in MI, so lots of snow and salt, but it doesn't run and I wouldn't take it out in the snow anyways

Let's see what they look like after you clean them. I like the pattern, but I'm a little worried they're past the point of fixing - mostly that one seat bottom.

I can understand that you want to build the Z for yourself, which is why I mentioned making your own, since it would be your own personal touch on the car.

I didn't really get what you meant by 'elbow patches' at first, but I think I've got it now. Kind of like what's on this seat on the bolster, right? That could be a clean way of patching them up. Give it a shot.

942-80-1605-62.jpg

Let's see what they look like after you clean them. I like the pattern, but I'm a little worried they're past the point of fixing - mostly that one seat bottom.

I can understand that you want to build the Z for yourself, which is why I mentioned making your own, since it would be your own personal touch on the car.

I didn't really get what you meant by 'elbow patches' at first, but I think I've got it now. Kind of like what's on this seat on the bolster, right? That could be a clean way of patching them up. Give it a shot.

Yeah that's pretty close, but I know leather isn't an option(just not possible) so I'm looking onto the material you see on sweaters, kinda like a rough velvet, I don't know what its called.

And most people ask me what color its going to be, the more I hear that, the less I want to paint it and let it surface rust more then clear coat it, "one of a kind" right? Haha XD

350 is way too stiff for a Z. Depending what you want to do with the car, somewhere in the 200 to 250 range should be about right.

Ive driven in a 400-275 miata and loved it, I've also driven my brothers dime that was 250-200 and its too soft for me.

Ive driven in a 400-275 miata and loved it, I've also driven my brothers dime that was 250-200 and its too soft for me.

That's not a Z though. My E30 has 315/570 springs rates, and it's fine, but it has a completely different suspension design (mainly in the rear), and a stiffer chassis. Zs don't need such stiff springs. Do some research - JohnC has a lot of posts on the subject. And if I remember right, the chassis is only good for something like 300-350 without reinforcement, and going up in spring rate doesn't actually make the car handle any better since the chassis is flexing. And then of course, your shocks need to match your springs.

This thread might be useful: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/109172-77-280z-ground-control-coil-over-conversion-question/

And read through the FAQ: http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/80-brakes-wheels-suspension-and-chassis/

Edited by rturbo 930

That's not a Z though. My E30 has 315/570 springs rates, and it's fine, but it has a completely different suspension design (mainly in the rear), and a stiffer chassis. Zs don't need such stiff springs. Do some research - JohnC has a lot of posts on the subject. And if I remember right, the chassis is only good for something like 300-350 without reinforcement, and going up in spring rate doesn't actually make the car handle any better since the chassis is flexing. And then of course, your shocks need to match your springs.

This thread might be useful: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/109172-77-280z-ground-control-coil-over-conversion-question/

And read through the FAQ: http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/80-brakes-wheels-suspension-and-chassis/

thanks, but i do want stiffer, since i will be lowering as much as possible. so gathering info from the one thread, i can order 10" springs from GC? and get regular sleeves. so then i might do 275-250?

i feel 250 is good for the rear, and 275 for front