HybridZ

Revised center console

madkaw

• 3 weeks later...

"Dry" carbon is kind of a new buzzword in the composites industry.Its commonly misused, and misunderstood. Forgive me if you know the following.

The satin/softer/dry exterior appearance is only attainable using prepreg fabrics, which is a whole different level of manufacturing, and are also extremely expensive ($100++ per yard of material). The parts do have superior physical properties (sometimes weighing as much as 70% lighter) then its "wet" counterparts.

Here is a wonderful article on the difference.

http://www.gruppemusa.com/2010/10/carbon-fiber-101/

Unfortunately, at least currently, we do not have prepreg capabilities.

But this does segway nicely into a question a I have for you, et all.

What is the preferred finish on these? Do people want these cleared? Do they want to clear them themselves? Do they want to refinish the parts themselves?

I ask because so many people want so many different things. I'd like to only do the bare minimum required, as that saves us time, and you money.

Also apologies if this reply seems unorganized and jumpy, I'm out of town for a few days helping my brother recover from surgery, and I'm posting from my phone.

@OldAndyAndTheSea

I believe some manufacturers often use just a Matte clear coat instead of prepreg fabric. This way they can achieve the look but also keep the costs the same. It would just be advertised as Dry Carbon Look. Just a thought in case you get some people who want to buy but don't like gloss.

Thanks everyone, the (optional) matte finishes may actually solve a couple of the last remaining difficulties in making these.

I'm actually pretty excited to get back to work on Monday and try out these new ideas.

And yeah Marcus, I'm with you on the two tone/flocked theme.

Also, I'll have you all know that we are currently making plugs for door panels. We wanted to change it up a little and do something simpler, as we reevaluate the clamshells, yet again.

More on that later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW, I Just found this.

First, I applaud you sir, this is amazing and very awesome!!! Second I agree with the matte clear finish. Third I'd wanna do a matching heater control unit bezel. I really enjoy the read, and the info. Thank you very much and I am eager to see your cup holder console!!!!!! 

Has anyone swapped a console from a different vehicle entirely into the 240Z? Just asking, I've done that with a Firebird in the past. I modded an S-10 console to fit. Sorry to throw it kinda off topic, just thinking of alternate but still cool console ideas. 

I've been thinking of making a CF center console for a while and was looking around for anyone else who was sharing the things they'd learned from doing it themselves.

I cam across this thread, have read through it all, am totally impressed.

I doubt I could do anywhere near as good a job as this so I'd be interested in a console and a clamshell (when the clams become available), would you ship to the UK?  :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a general question, but is there a difference between the series 1 and 2 center consoles? I have a series 1, and I mean as far as attachment points to the tranny tunnel.

Also I can't tell from the pics, but is there enough of a lip on the fuse panel area for have a metal plate for a switch panel? That's currently what I have, and would like to reuse that. 

When are you gonna start making these for production?

Bludestiny,

There is a difference from series 1 to the later consoles, particularly in the cigarette lighter/ash tray of the early version versus the fuse panel of the later series. I have a '73 with a metal plate hard mounted to the trans tunnel to fit the later style console. The series 1 has a different width and length to the later.