HybridZ

Revised center console

madkaw

I got a second set of clamshells today (thanks again Marcus!) so I'm going to spend the rest of my afternoon figuring out the shape and mounting angle of the pod.

Glad to help!

Can't wait to see what you come up with, given the apparent quality of the center console I'm sure this will come out equally or even better.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, it certainly helps.

Ran into my first bit of trouble today....

...So I've got the shape roughly where it needs to be in regards to the gauge pod. Here's a rough visual representation.

IMG_20141218_102445333_HDR_zpsf9t4bse6.j

IMG_20141218_102515175_HDR_zpsbamo0pcd.j

IMG_20141218_102349574_HDR_zpsvjgmiyst.j

My car has a stupid half dash cap that just so happens to interfere with my pictures. But hopefully you can see that the gauge pod JUST fits in that area. Ignore that the pod appears to be touching the dash. It's hitting my dash cap.

IMG_20141218_102553675_zpso35jqpza.jpg

Also needed to make sure that the OEM steering wheel didn't interfere. Pretty close tolerances.

IMG_20141218_102633797_zpsdfnjzmhk.jpg

Depth of the pod was good. It's about as small as I could make it, with still having Autometer stuff fit.

IMG_20141218_102146021_zpsjtifw0uw.jpg

At this point I was feeling good... Until I brought the setup back to the 260z...

The 260/280 dash angles out a bit more than the 240's.......Damn.....

(prepare for some of the worst images ever. Thanks to zero lighting in the garage where I store my 260.)

IMG_20141218_101452360_zpsg5aykoj7.jpg

IMG_20141218_101414560_zpsfebglhcw.jpg

Hopefully you can see that the bottom portion of the Tach/Speedo gauges are not angled as much as they are on the earlier dashes. This directly interferes with the current design, making it unable to seat fully. It also contacts the steering wheel....Sweet.

Looks like I'll have to make a separate 260/280 gauge pod option. But at this point, I honestly don't know if my gauge alone will even fit back there...I'm about to go out there and freeze for a minute to ponder on the subject.

Are there any lower profile gauges than the typical Autometer gauge(s) I am using?

I wonder if Autometers are just unnecessarily deep.

Any thoughts anyone?

Oh yeah, I made the first insert mold today. It'll be ready to pull sometime tomorrow.

...And I pulled the clamshell molds today as well, so those are progressing.

IMG_20141218_142136137_zpsgueqkcwf.jpg

No wonder no one has made these before. Kind of a pain in the ass.

But then again, if it were easy, everyone would do it.

One step back. And one step forward. :D

Hmmm... Perhaps fitting a cup style gauge holder would allow for you to tweak the positioning to be compatible with both early and late dashes (and steering wheels). You could then use your super molding clay stuff to fill in the gaps?

Should make for the smallest possible profile as well.

Edited by LanceVance

Hmmm... Perhaps fitting a cup style gauge holder would allow for you to tweak the positioning to be compatible with both early and late dashes (and steering wheels). You could then use your super molding clay stuff to fill in the gaps?

Should make for the smallest possible profile as well.

Good point. After quickly viewing the available options it seems that MAY be a possibility. I kinda like this..

http://www.fastwrx.com/collections/gauge-mounts/products/auto-meter-carbon-fiber-52mm-gauge-cup

We'd still be screwed with our Autometer gauges though, due to those unbelievably long threaded pieces. Unless we wanted to cut those off, and completely forgo the black mounting piece....But I don't really want to ask people to buy something then ask them to mangle a new aftermarket gauge before being able to use the item. haha. Interference fit maybe? I dunno...

That is some pretty complex geometry though, even if I were to modify it, it would be more difficult to make as a cosmetic piece, due to either 2 halves needing to be joined, or multiple pieces being joined together.. It, for all intents and purposes, cannot be made in one mold like the version you see me making now. Adds to complexity... and unfortunately adds to cost.

You don't mess around, and are making great progress. As far as the 260/280 goes, if the typical Auto meter will not fit, then perhaps it only becomes a single Innovate air/fuel meter. The unit is super thin.

Thanks,

I really don't like to do things twice....however, that seems to be the case more times than I care to admit... or count. That's true, good call! I also have a LC-1 gauge that I can use. Now that you mention it, I do remember it having a significantly lower depth. The question is: are most air fuel ratio gauges similarly sized, depth wise? If I can help it, I'd like to not have to suggest what parts people have to run on their car.

Maybe on the 260/280 you simply cannot run an Autometer Mechanical Boost gauge (I cannot say for the electric version) in the gauge pod provided. Or any gauge exceeding whatever that maximum available depth is.

Kinda sucks though. Maybe just another reason to buy a 240? Ha! I kid. I kid. While I am not defeated, not in the slightest, I am open to adapt and change as need be.

As long as everyone, who care to be, involved are okay with whatever that path may be.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Simple solution would be to make the back of the pod flat ( in relation to the gauge face).

Less interference from the dash, and those with AutoMeters could simply drill holes in the back for the studs. This eliminates the need for the black mounting piece.

Not sure if the studs will interfere with the dash, but I know I'd be trimming and using some black dome head nuts either way...

Booo...

IMG_20141218_193252085_zpszekci5hh.jpg

IMG_20141218_193210431_zpsxuqnxndw.jpg

Just popped my LC-1 gauge out. Depth: 14.5mm

The Autometer from the inside of the bezel to the end of the studs is roughly 60mm. In its current state the studs are about 10mm too long. It's real tight.

This pod may just have to be a low profile one. When it's light tomorrow I'll spend some time in the 260 and try to see what an appropriate course of action will be.

Here's an idea as to the variety of depth within the world of 2 1/16" gauges.

IMG_20141218_195009292_zpssllbktjg.jpg

I know the speed hut gauges I have mounted in my dash were very thin. At least as thin as that Innovate gauge if not thinner. Would likely save you a lot of hassle to just make the pod as large as you can to fit the 280z dash and just let people know at there are limitations in regards to depth of gauge that can be used. Can't please everyone.

Great job on your work so far.

Ouch... Time to find a low profile boost gauge that matches the entire set of AutoMeters I've got.

...Though, I'm not opposed to cutting the studs and using a spacer to bring the gauge forward. I've got a quick release and short hub adapter giving me plenty of space.

Much to ponder!

Edited by LanceVance

I know the speed hut gauges I have mounted in my dash were very thin. At least as thin as that Innovate gauge if not thinner. Would likely save you a lot of hassle to just make the pod as large as you can to fit the 280z dash and just let people know at there are limitations in regards to depth of gauge that can be used. Can't please everyone.

Great job on your work so far.

Thank you. This comment makes me feel better, as my first and foremost priority is making sure people are happy with whatever product they potentially buy. I'm glad it comes off that I care, because I do.

If I can, I will try to please everyone, but, as you said, that has its limits.

Ouch... Time to find a low profile boost gauge that matches the entire set of AutoMeters I've got.

...Though, I'm not opposed to cutting the studs and using a spacer to bring the gauge forward. I've got a quick release and short hub adapter giving me plenty of space.

Much to ponder!

Yeah, I'm about to head out and do some thinking on the subject myself. I'll report any findings. Regardless, I'm going to do my damnedest to make something that you, specifically, are happy with, since you have been very helpful to the project.

Why not just make a one peice A-pillar gauge pod?

A pillar pieces are pretty common, and the first gen Mazda Miata/Mx-5 pod is pretty frequently used/modified on the s30s. Some people don't like A pillar pods either, that's the other reason.

The clamshell pieces, and an optional gauge provision have been some of the things on a lot of guy's bucket lists. As far as I know, it has not been done before.

I don't know if I myself will opt for one, but I know lots of others want to stick gauges behind the steering wheel.

Thanks for the feedback.

I need a CF dash bad... Waiting to find one before i rewire the car.

Making these parts, I feel, is going to become a vicious cycle....I've already begun to feel it....I know I want a dash at some point too....so as these products become more finalized, I'll perhaps start looking into that. Door panels too.

Carbon flocked two tone..........droool.

I cannot express how much the feedback helps the research and development of the parts. Keep the suggestions coming, it helps justify the decisions I make.

Thank you all.

I'm going to do my damnedest to make something that you, specifically, are happy with, since you have been very helpful to the project.

I appreciate the notion, though I've hardly done anything to warrant extra effort on your part!

I've gone out and examined my hardware and realized why this problem wasn't apparent during my (albeit poor) attempts at making a clamshell gauge pod. I'm using a flat MOMO wheel on an NRG quick release, and a shortened MOMO hub adapter. This combination provides an extra 2 to 2.5 inches of forward clearance. Dished wheels, such as the stock piece obviously don't offer this extra wiggle room...

I'm not sure what the demographics are regarding those who would buy this from you, but I'd say people using aftermarket wheels and hub adapters would be around 25%? I'm just guessing and may be overly generous in my assessment, but then again I'm not sure what sort of numbers justify making each variation...

Carbon flocked two tone..........droool.

I was just struck with the vision of the suede MOMO wheel, brushed silver quick release hooked up along with your clamshell in CF (lower half) and black flock (top half). Kicker is I have all the flocking materials ready to go. Did I mention the DZ-Start pushbutton ignition with the silver 370Z bezel and red GTR button? So much sexy packed in such a small space; a symphony of monochromatic textures with the odd splash of color. Mmmmm....

I cannot express how much the feedback helps the research and development of the parts. Keep the suggestions coming, it helps justify the decisions I make.

Thank you all.

I'm glad to offer what assistance I can, hopefully more will begin to chime in with their ideas and suggestions as well.

Thanks to you for lending your talent and effort to the Z community, I know plenty of others want to see these go into production as well.

You're talking about the hood vents, correct? I, personally, wouldn't want to make those. You'll spend more time trimming than you would doing anything else.

Clamshell beginning stages. Freshly popped. Began roughly trimming. Haven't cut any of the important openings yet.

IMG_20141223_123830721_zpse1jymlns.jpg

IMG_20141223_124726426_HDR_zpsiqlhpuau.j

IMG_20141223_124712146_HDR_zps6a7rtlhz.j

Luckily they still appear to want to fit together. That's a relief.

IMG_20141223_141106949_zpselpayavn.jpg

IMG_20141223_141110377_zpsrj3jm68k.jpg

More to come..Lots going on.

It's a Festivus miracle!

Mocked together... they fit!

IMG_20141224_193402416_HDR_zpsjuhmofy7.j

Took me the better part of four hours to trim/shape the openings on these bad boys. That was some work. Looking to improve upon that.

Here they are tape mocked together, off the car.

IMG_20141224_192052961_zpsxpdqpiso.jpg

IMG_20141224_192058629_zpsxgaxafc0.jpg

IMG_20141224_192120857_zpsblp9ewte.jpg

More in action.

IMG_20141224_193330471_HDR_zpsksiqap0a.j

IMG_20141224_192909202_zpsofn2xbmz.jpg

IMG_20141224_192933494_zpsjifhwwgn.jpg

IMG_20141224_193129537_zpseapd76ac.jpg

IMG_20141224_193350662_HDR_zps4re3mqic.j

Mmmm carbon...

IMG_20141224_193612608_zpsnryesadz.jpg

Oh, And I have epoxy coated both foam gauge plugs. I also molded the base of each pod to match the shape of each mounting location.

IMG_20141223_173339463_zps4bblxjf4.jpg

IMG_20141223_173354476_zpsnkdqpjxs.jpg

Now I get to shape these into something worth looking at, and work on the next stages. Awesome!

Happy Holidays all!