HybridZ

Ford Mustang 2006 Rear caliper together with Toyota vented caliper.

Hello!

I've been reading for weeks about different rear brake kit together with the "classic" Toyota 4-runner S12W calipers with no luck =(.

I know for sure that there are a lot of problems with the balance with 240sx rear caliper and even with the 280zx rear caliper.

But now i found at "silverminemotors" that they have a rear big brake stage 4 kit with vented rotors and Ford mustang rear calipers.

The piston is 43mm big but is that really enough? I suppose the Mustang was using 4 piston front calipers..

I don't want to do the swap if I can't find bigger rear brakes.

The problem is that i need the mechanic E-brake..

otherwise i would have used the stock frontcalipers for the rear.

I hope someone are or have been using the "mustang rear calipers" and tell me more about how they work.

Best regards

Johan

I bought z31 rear rotors, 86 maxima rear calipers and k-e adapter brackets for my S30. havent put them on, but i can tell you the rear rotors are a larger diameter than the z31 front rotor/s12w+ caliper setup. I also got 79 280zx master cylinder. Went with stoptech maxima rear brake pads, and Z32 stoptech pads up front. Im hoping that has a good balance.

• 3 months later...

FYI Mustang rear caliper vs z31 rear caliper

43mm piston vs 42.9
Ford has 1.15x larger pad area BUT Ford pads are tapered so new pad vs new pad z31 actually makes more contact.
Z31 uses same diameter and thread pitch as all Nissan brake lines but Ford uses different thread pitch.

Presently, on my 260z I am running stock (dual sided 60mm pistons) up front and Z31(late) rear calipers with 240sx(Early FRONT) vented rotors in the rear. The braking is crisp and if you don't have fresh pads up front the rears will lock up first on 1/2 tank of gas or less. (all of this fitting under 14" wheels)

I looked at the Mustang setup and It does not really seem all that advantageous to me. Currently running L26 and it stops great! If I ever need more braking in back (never know what the future holds) it won't be the caliper, it'll be a larger rotor under a larger wheel.

Edited by my1path

Here is my experience. I had a 260z with toyota s12w calipers and 300zx rotors in front. The rear had maxima calipers and 300zx rotors with our custom bracket. Stock proportion valve.  With this setup the front brakes would lock up early. I locked my front brakes before going into a turn and lost my steering and just kept going straight because front wheels were locked. That's when I started looking for the largest caliper ever made with e-brake function. 

I built the mustang rear kit and installed it on the same car. Result was almost perfect bias with slightly more in front. Then I installed a wilwood adjustable prop valve on the front line, turned it down a bit and the bias felt like a factory brake system. Many customers have told me that they did not need the prop valve at all since they drive straight and want the extra front bias. 

Hope that helps. 

• 11 months later...

Does anyone have any information on what's required to fit this listed setup:

Z31 late calipers, and vented 240sx front rotors on the rear of an S30. Only other info I found said that the E-brake cable could be trouble. But otherwise would seem like a quality swap what with the 43mm piston and larger rotor.

Presently, on my 260z I am running stock (dual sided 60mm pistons) up front and Z31(late) rear calipers with 240sx(Early FRONT) vented rotors in the rear. The braking is crisp and if you don't have fresh pads up front the rears will lock up first on 1/2 tank of gas or less. (all of this fitting under 14" wheels)

Edited by mtnickel