HybridZ

1971 240z restoration/build

Brendanm71240z

I picked up my 240 about a year ago and since then have been slowly fixing and modding the far to what I eventually want the car to be.For now I have things done such as head work, headers into 2.5 inch all the way back ,rebuilt carbs, headlight covers, dash cover ,and other small things. I am in college so I don't have a ton of funds to send on the car but enough to make changes and mods frequent enough to keep it interesting. Build plans include a rb25 swap, weld in coil overs, full paint and body work,zg flares, big meaty tires, big brakes,wheels and bucket seats with a cage. It is a street car but I plan to autox it and keep,using it for mountain runs. Pictures will be up soon...just a quick shot of how the car stands right now

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my 1970 back when I was still a poor student.  I managed to do a few interior upgrades, triple mikunis and a header, but not a ton of stuff, though it WAS daily drivable.  Now I completed a full interior resto, have my big meaty tires on real Watanabes (I wasn't sure they would be worth more than double the price of a Rota, IMHO after fitting them, they really are) and flares.  Coilovers, (cause cut away your fenders and leave stock ride height and it looks a bit silly) , urethane bushings.  Swapping to my dream engine then finishing up the body work and perfect paint job.  Once I got a job that made me some $$$ it all fell into place.  I recomend getting that job and doing a big surge to finish your Z during the student loan grace period.  6 months is enough!!

Last week i cracked my radiator and immiadtely went out nd bought a Champion radiator from thezstore" and once i had it installed it made the area in front of it look horrible from dirt, overspray , and a touch of rust so i gave it a good sanding and put on a coat of paint then truck bedliner and that made it look much nicer against the shiny new radiator. However today when driving home i cracked the brand new radiator (small spray coming from near bottom on engine side). Is this just coincidence it happened twice or is there something else happening here? hopefully i will be able to get a replacement and not have to pay for a new one again and would be nice to know if there is somethign else wrong so i dont ruin another good radiator! opinions and tips are appreciated

Aww man, you got a blue one?  That was a rare color from the factory.  I hope you know that you are duty bound to do a twin-turbocharged 3.1 L28 and every night after Midnight race black 911 Turbos at 200MPH on public highways.  Start looking for an HKS Surge tank, an L28 crank a twin turbo exhaust manifold and go from there.  You already have the right air dam.  Is the paint as nice as it looks in the pics? or is there still a bit of rust, then body and then more paint to come?
Sorry to say, I have no idea what might cause two radiator cracks in a row  :unsure: 

If you want to take a first step towards increasing performance, triple carbs and headers are not a bad way to start.

Yes wangan midnight! I pretty much fell in love because of that movie. Horrible English translation and acting but the cars were just awesome and his garage....too cool.it does have some rust but nothing too bad ,definitely a good base for a build.so I want to do body and paint but I'm fairly sure it will stay blue.the guys who had the car before me did the paint and it looks shiny bu they really did a hack job with overspray on the gas tank, muffler, weatherstripping and just about everywhere else.i assume done on the cheap to bump up the price.it was however originally that teal blue then red then blue again.the shot with the rear shows all the colors :). the thought of triples with a turbo is amazing but I'm head over heels for the rb series.

So today i went to do some work on my car and remove the passenger seat, but as these things go while i was in there i tore out a bunch of the crappy 40 year old sound deadening and began sanding some of the crappy paint. If anyone else is planning on taking out their seats in a 240z just know that the fronts are easy but the rear two bolts to get them out area bit tricky.After trying to squeeze a socket wrench into the space between the floor in the bolt for much too long i figured out the best way to do it is to get a regular or ratchet wrench if you have the mangle it up from the floor (12mm). 

So here's a shot right after i took out the seat and suprise, suprise there's rust.With a little sanding on one section i got down to metal fairly quickly and hopefully the rest will be the same.

post-46920-0-78694400-1415052519_thumb.jpg

Also here's some of the crap i tore out...it's everywhere!

post-46920-0-11802300-1415052666_thumb.jpg

The reason for the passenger seat coming out is i am getting a corbeau fx1 seat in a couple weeks and the passenger seat in caved in on the bottom so the driver will be moved to the passenger then the new seat to the driver.But before then i'd like to do a little work on the interior and drive it with just one seat till then, because racecar.post-46920-0-39301800-1415052777_thumb.jpg

and the drivers...post-46920-0-41317400-1415052971_thumb.jpg

Working on the car is always a team effort of course.post-46920-0-46420900-1415053105_thumb.jpg

So how do i get this layer off?(the cracked layer in the photo) What even is this stuff? I want to take it off and put a layer of paint down and possibly dynomat it. Any opinions on the stuff? I had some rattle cans that say they are weatherproof around but would it be worth getting something better to put in here?

post-46920-0-42831100-1415053391_thumb.jpg

Got some work in since the last post on removing the interior (taking far longer than I thought) and Also having some problems with the car. Since I got it I had had problems with something in the rear end making alot of noise, my first guess was the differential going bad but now I am not so sure.

Symptoms-

lots of noise

even more loud noises when i go over bumps

on throttle loss of traction when I go over bumps (more than it should)

not smooth up shifts when banging through gears 

sound from rear end when clutch is engaged

and yesterday- doesn't want to go into gear and clutch looses basically all weight.

The car is off to the shop today and we will see what they have to say, hopefully wont cost me too much.

Anyone have ideas what's goin' on here?

Got a little work done over the past few days on the interior which takes far longer to remove than one would think! (at least the way I am doing it...) Here's a couple progress shots. After this I will probably end up stripping out the whole car and prepping it for a coat of soundproofing.

Also i took some rust off the the seat belt and put some paint on there...

post-46920-0-40677200-1415772934_thumb.jpg

I will be dying the belts black since they are grayish and faded, should give an all around cleaner look.

Should have the car back monday but for the time being here's some shots of the car and some of the little things that I have done with it since I got it.

Here's a couple shots after I had just put in my radiator.Once I saw how nice it looked I couldn't stand the look of the over sprayed/rusty nastiness so I sanded it all down and put a layer of weatherproof paint then truck bed liner. I was too excited to paint it once I had it prepped so no before pics bet rest assured this looks much better. Some of the other pics will show what it used to look like.

post-46920-0-43120200-1416005611_thumb.jpg

This one you can see the terrible engine bay paint someone did on it. not pretty...

post-46920-0-34304200-1416006322_thumb.jpg

And a couple old pics...

post-46920-0-57992500-1416007059_thumb.jpg

post-46920-0-12707300-1416007030_thumb.jpg

post-46920-0-68235000-1416007073_thumb.jpg

post-46920-0-93559800-1416007100_thumb.jpg

Got the car back from the shop today and everything I wanted addressed has been or at least I now know what the problem is.

Clutch Issues-

master cylinder leaking 

slave cylinder leaking 

hose broken/brittle 

those replaced the clutch now engages much lower than before which I like.And it works again ... which is also good!

Differential issues-

most of the problems I had with the diff can be blamed on the worn mounts which were replaced but while they were under there they found that the previous owner had put a couple "L" brackets under the diff...they said it was not interfering with anything so no need to cut it off.Maybe they saw the worn mounts and decided to put it there in case it was to fall out?