HybridZ

My 240Z with supercharged BMW engine

Awesome! Watch out once the boost bug bites you'll always want a little more.

Lets hope that won´t happen. :)

First plywood mockup of that SC bracket. 

Feel free to comment if you find some faults with this. This is my first supercharger build so all help would be appreciated.

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

Well that didn´t work...There is no room for boost pipes. Only way compressor can be rotated is when boost pipe is directly up, and then it hits to hood.

I think I need to relocate alternator so I can mount that charger lower.

_full.jpg

Edited by TeemuM

Here is final design of these brackets. These are going to be laser cutted from 10mm steel.

Also ordered larger pulley to lower boost litte bit. However there seems to be some problems. That new pulley hits to that flange that is in front face of charger. In rotrex techinal drawing that flange height is 5mm and I have 8mm. So maybe this charger is older design, etc. However I think I need to machine 3mm off that flange to get enogh clearance.

_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now that engine work is done I had time to modify fuel tank. I wanted to use in-tank fuel pump, so needed to cut hole and weld that plate in place. Also made that bracket for Walbro 450 E85 fuel pump.

That fuel pump bracket is going to be zink plated and inside of tank is going to be covered with Por15 fuel tank sealer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks!  :)

I quess my calculations were off because this only boosts about 0.5bar. I calculated that with this pulley boost pressure would be about 1 bar. Because pressure is so moderate there is not so big difference compared to NA engine. Well I can always change smaller pulley... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to dyno yesterday. There was 360hp/420nm and that was only with 0.4bar. I am quite happy with results as boost pressure was so low. So there is much improvement available with smaller charger pulley. Also that 2.5" exhaust is too small so I need to do it again.

Small video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEscM_5jVGW/?taken-by=teemume

Edited by TeemuM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I ended driving season this week. Drove little bit over 5000km in this summer and not a single problem. Attended few drag racing events and best time was 12.99@178kmh. Those were at airfield so traction was not so good. 

For next summer there is not going to be much changes. Little bit more boost, better intercooler and larger exhaust. For outside I bought original mirror to replace that plastic one and Euro-style front spoiler.

_full.jpg

27053848430_9d3bbb7104_o.jpg?img=img1280

Few driving videos.

http://teemum.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Datsun+240Z/Sekalaista/kiihdytys.mp4

http://teemum.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Datsun+240Z/Sekalaista/Elokuva.mp4

Edited by TeemuM

• 1 month later...

I got this aluminium radiator to replace original. I also put Spal electric fan so original fan shroud would not fit. I modeled new shroud, machined mold and used carbon fiber to made new one. Still needs few layers of clear coat and it´s ready!

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally found time to finish fan shroud so radiator is ready to be installed. I cured that part in sauna. It made quite a bit difference to part stiffness. After that is was clear coated.

_full.jpg_full.jpg

I modified Nismo-style front spoiler. Now it fits quite well and atleast in my opinion it looks better. Now I need to make mold from it and manufacture new part. 

_full.jpg