HybridZ
TeemuM

My 240Z with supercharged BMW engine

Driving season is soon to be over so needed to figure some new project for winter. So I designed ITB´s for my car. Going to use ready made manifold, RB26 throttles, and rest of the parts needs to be manufactured. Also those RB26 ITB:s are too wide so they need to be modified. 

What air filters have you used with ITB´s? In that design I used largest oval K&N filter element.

_full.jpg_full.jpg_full.jpg

Im afraid I have only 3D model of that mount. I can email that if it helps? I remembered that some of those parts needed to be modified and I added extra support but those parts were good starting point.

_full.jpg

And I also needed to bend that right side sheet.

_full.jpg

And for that new companion flange I dont have drawing. They did it by themselves is machine shop. 

My first idea was to make it by using original companion flange and weld adapter to that. As that seems to be what most people are doing. But they said in machine shop that they can do me a whole new flange so I think that was better.

Here is drawing of that welded adapter that I first was going to use.

_full.jpg

Idea was to make original flange round with lathe so it can easily be centered to that adapter before welding. That white part is original flange after lathe work. 

_full.jpg

Hope those helps.

Edited by TeemuM
  • Like 1

Well I think that dyno is quite optimistic because that torque is maybe too much from 2.8 litre engine. That´s almost 120nm/l, which is at Ferrari territory.

However 1/4 mile final speed was 175kmh which is quite in line with hp and weight.

I have already gathered parts for 3 litre 13:1CR engine so going to build that in next winter. Going to use aluminium block which is about 20kg lighter than that iron block.

Edited by TeemuM

I send you .stp file and also found .dxf files that were used to cut those sheetmetals.

Be aware that this mount puts differential quite high. I needed modify floor panels to make enough room for it.

_full.jpg_full.jpg

Also that beam that is behind diff needed to be modified.

_full.jpg

• Like 1

My new engine is now assembled. It is stroked to 3.0 litres and compression is 10:1. Head is rebuild and slightly ported.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

I changed plans and decided to supercharge it because I found used Rotrex C38-71. That means I need to upgrade also clutch, fuel pump and injectors.

_full.jpg

Edited by TeemuM

Awesome! Watch out once the boost bug bites you'll always want a little more.

Lets hope that won´t happen. :)

First plywood mockup of that SC bracket. 

Feel free to comment if you find some faults with this. This is my first supercharger build so all help would be appreciated.

Well that didn´t work...There is no room for boost pipes. Only way compressor can be rotated is when boost pipe is directly up, and then it hits to hood.

I think I need to relocate alternator so I can mount that charger lower.

_full.jpg

Edited by TeemuM

Here is final design of these brackets. These are going to be laser cutted from 10mm steel.

Also ordered larger pulley to lower boost litte bit. However there seems to be some problems. That new pulley hits to that flange that is in front face of charger. In rotrex techinal drawing that flange height is 5mm and I have 8mm. So maybe this charger is older design, etc. However I think I need to machine 3mm off that flange to get enogh clearance.

_full.jpg

Now that engine work is done I had time to modify fuel tank. I wanted to use in-tank fuel pump, so needed to cut hole and weld that plate in place. Also made that bracket for Walbro 450 E85 fuel pump.

That fuel pump bracket is going to be zink plated and inside of tank is going to be covered with Por15 fuel tank sealer.

I drove about 200km with NA engine and then it was time for oil change and installing supercharger. Still lots of small thing to be done but at least it is now drivable.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

Small video of first start with Rotrex.

http://teemum.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Datsun+240Z/Tekniikka/Moottori/2015-2016/sc_kaynnistys.mp4