HybridZ

Totaled the Z yesterday......

ktm

I took Thursday and Friday off as mental health days and it allowed me to take care of some things for my father-in-law.  On Friday afternoon I went out for lunch and on the way back it happened.  The temperatures had cooled significantly and my tires were wearing thin.  We were accelerating from a stop light and I made a maneuver to pass on the right once we cleared the intersection.   The rest is a blur.

Next thing I know I am slamming into the rear corner of a Suzuki SUV.  She spun sideways and skidded a little distance and went up over the curb.

I do not recall how fast I was going but it was probably around 25 to 30 in a 45.  I gave the car maybe  1/3 to 1/2 throttle and all hell broke loose.  I do not believe that I hit her with a significant amount of differential speed as the engine was not touched.  The radiator and fan are pushed in to right before the water pump.  It looks like I hit a pole.  

Three Sheriff's were there within a minute (odd).  They must have been a number of cars back behind us.  At first one was rather pissed with me asking why was I speeding somewhere.  He said all he heard was a loud exhaust and then boom.  He calmed down significantly after talking with me and the other two Sheriff's after a while.  One of the Sheriff's was rather sympathetic (to a degree) and was talking to me about the car.

At the end, the first Sheriff who was agitated was talking to me reasonably.  Explaining how accidents happen (no, this was avoidable) and that he was not going to lecture me as we both know.  The one eye witness told me I was driving like an ass, but she was probably explaining what she saw as the car broke loose.

To make matters worse, I found out that my wife changed my policy on the Z to liability only.......

So, look for a sale thread in a few days.  I will be trying to sell the entire car with the swap.  The car runs fine right now but the entire front end is destroyed.

There is nothing in the front end of a Z up to the core support. They just fold right up to that point. It might be possible to replace the lower frame rails, straighten the uppers and put a new hood, fenders, and airdam on. The clean shell idea might also be a better bet than trying to recoup your losses by parting out.

"To make matters worse, I found out that my wife changed my policy on the Z to liability only......."

Oh, how those words ring true...turbo makes a squeal at MSA, call AAA for a tow "no sir, you have standard towing"

Wife changed policy in October without consultation "to save money" ($100 a year vs $68 a year???)

Hello, new turbo $795....goodbye simple cartridge swap at $275!

That sucks!

Cut the front off, get it relatively straight and run a modified strut bar near core support... Channel mount your radiator and run a G-Nose up,front.

Back on the road and Stylin'!

"To make matters worse, I found out that my wife changed my policy on the Z to liability only......."

Oh, how those words ring true...turbo makes a squeal at MSA, call AAA for a tow "no sir, you have standard towing"

Wife changed policy in October without consultation "to save money" ($100 a year vs $68 a year???)

Totally agree on keeping the "RV" or higher AAA membership for the towing alone, but unless you have some special "stated value" insurance (which are dubious in their own ways), I doubt that your collision insurance would have done you much good - they likely would have totalled your Z at some ridiculously low value anyway and paid out almost nothing.

I found this out the hard way with my 93 Taurus SHO - which was in really good condition. Some dude hit my rear bumper while I was backing out in the parking lot and scraped up the rear fascia, with no other real damage.  Body shop estimated ~$1000 to repair, but insurance would have totalled the car at $700 (!).  Did I mention that this car was in really good condition? Didn't matter.  Given my $500 deductible they only would have paid out $200.  I sourced a good condition rear fascia and fixed it myself for about $350 (including repainting but not accounting for my labor).  After that I too cancelled my collision coverage and now pay less per year than the $200 they would have covered anyway.

All that said - I'm really sorry to hear about your car.

Swap shells per Tony.  Totaled means different things between you and you dream car.

Fix the front end with new frame rails, pick up a gnose (I recommend Brian at Zcar customs. (zccjdm.com)(yeah Brian I just plugged you :)

Put it back to where it belongs, if not I'd be interested in parts.  Not that I want you to go that route obviously. 

My father always told me "mechanical things can be fixed".  How true.  I should put that in my profile.  (shout out to dad who gets discussed when the lawn mower breaks down....he's 84 and still cuts his own grass with a push mower 1/2 acre and it isn't flat! (Crazy old man ;) wish I lived closer :(

Thanks all.  I need to calm down and think things through a bit.  I try not to go into the garage unless I have to, but I did take a good look at it this morning.  Much like what Jon said, there really isn't much up front.

The passenger door opens fine, the drivers side takes a bit of force due to the left fender.  The cowl looks fine.  Hell, my strut towers may be fine (I have a strut bar) and a nice thick sway bar with reinforced frame rails.

I just need to mull my options over.

Tony, I'll get back to you shortly.

Cheers,

Bo

You said "sell". I don't sell Z parts.

You didn't say "give".

Just found out yesterday that Norm the 12 Second SU Dude REALLY totaled his 240Z back in August. Sheared motor mounts. Looks like Scott Burkhardt's white 240Z I posted in the "improve safety of 240Z" thread.

Norm hit....HARD!

His stock seat belt broke.

Seriously gentlemen and ladies, consider getting your 40-something stock belts re webbed at a competent shop! Breakage of that kind of critical safety device is frightening. I have inertia as a big enemy...

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1

Good news.  I was a bit melodramatic following the accident as the hood and driver's side fender made it look much worse than it really was.  I pulled the fenders, lower valence, and hood off the car to assess the damage.  The core support on the driver's side was mangled, but the rest of the car is in pretty good shape.  It is at the frame shop now.  They quoted $700 to fix it and I should be getting it back in about a week.  This place has been around 40 years and all they really work on is older cars or spill over from production shops.

They will do their best with the core support and I will have to see what it looks like when they are finished.  The vertical part is actually in good condition, it is just the upper corner piece.