HybridZ

5 speed swap underway, how much should I replace?

XplosiveLugnut

So I've gotten an '84 Maxima 5 speed, and this weekend I've managed to pull out everything all the way up to the crank shaft. Need weekend it'll be time to put it all back together but I've gotta go on a little shopping spree first. Gonna need a new starter, shifter bushings, etc...

My questions are, I can't tell if the wear on the flywheel teeth is "too much" or not. I also have conflicting ideas about tampering with the rear main seal. I figure "while I'm down there" I should put a fresh one in. But I also have that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" feeling. Here are some pics of the flywheel teeth and the rear main seal.

2014-11-02_17-14-05_785_zps1c9f3ece.jpg

2014-11-02_17-13-51_397_zps6ab2665e.jpg

2014-11-02_12-39-13_320_zps27908b42.jpg

2014-11-02_12-39-20_9_zpsf76f38be.jpg

So, sometime when attempting to crank the Z, I'd get a sharp startling grinding sound. The starter has never unexpectedly disengaged, but it has sometimes failed to engage initially. I don't know if it's mostly due to how much the starter is worn or the flywheel or both. The flywheel's not missing any teeth, they're all just a bit deformed.

Also, is that oil on the end of the crank a problem? How easy is it to screw up a rear main seal installation?

Thanks!

Also, plenty more pictures where those came from here.

For the flywheel, if you look closely you should be able to see the spots where the starter was grinding on the teeth. If you find any, I would look for a good flywheel, because any grinding may lead to more frequent grinding, not a good sign.

I vote yes on replacing the rear engine seal, whenever i replace a clutch i always replace the rear engine seal.  :)                                                                                                                                    :o

Edited by dexter72

The new rear main seal is on it's way.

I don't know if my judge of flywheel ring teeth wear is worth squat, but looking at the teeth in person, it doesn't look bad. All the teeth are worn uniformly, no big gouged out areas or missing teeth. The starter however does look worn out. I'm getting a new gear reduction starter and wiring in a relay to help out the solenoid.

I figure this will be an improvement. Just my luck though, it'll grind on the first attempt. :rolleyes: