HybridZ

Another DOHC L6 head [pic heavy]

josh817

So... RB must be better because they are sitting around blown up all the time?  Buy an RB30 block and a L28 bored to 3.0 throw em on a scale.  Then tear them down and put the rod bearings, main bearings, rods, oil pump, etc out for comparison.  That will answer the question "What is better about which one?".

Here's a story:

When I was younger I would watch my father buy a heap from the junkyard and spend 2-3 years restoring it until it's perfect. He was so meticulous, did suspension swaps that he enjoyed, sunk a lot of money into the projects.... only to drive it for a month and then sell it.

He had no interest in driving, he just likes to build stuff.

Look at the man hours involved in selecting a head, making a gear drive, a beautiful header, intake, block work, welding, porting, etc.... Do you actually think he selected this method to save time and money and go the shortest route possible? I'm pretty sure he's doing the work for a customer, god forbid he's charging hourly. :P

It's unique, it's fun, what other excuse do you need to do it? If you are looking for an easy build, stuff all your money into an envelope, mail it to someone who does whatever engine you want, and wait.

riger280zx, I didn't even think of it like that but I like it! I've always viewed it as the head complements the block.

Reading this blog in google translate has both enlightened me and confused me as to how Uncle Ryo overcame the oil and coolant issues of the RB head on the L series block. As well, what bellhousing would he have used to get the transmission to line up with the engine angle? A KA bellhousing? So much awesome work here to read about and it's a shame I don't know a lick of Japanese to understand it. 

I least I know that to aim the 400PS he thinks he also likes the little yakubusoku in super single.

Anyone got any flow diagrams for the RB heads coolant and L series oil flow? 

I don't think PMC on here made mention to coolant port alignment. I remember he noted an oil return by drilling and pipping from the back of the head to the oil pan. He was also running a belt drive for the cams so the entire timing chain area of the L block was plated off and dry from coolant and oil.

What do you mean about the transmissions? It doesn't appear to be canted over heavily.