HybridZ

swap a 240sx transmission into a 77 280

walkerbk

I have a 77 280z with a 4 speed transmission that came from the factory. I am trying to replace it with a 5 speed out of a 240sx. The main reason for the swap is my transmission is old, and I will be putting a turbo motor in soon. I know I could go with the T-5, but this from what I have heard is a better transmission and it is easy for me to find (and cheap).

I know that the counter bearing hole and the shift rod hole (I am not sure about the names, but I know which ones) need to be enlarged.

The problem is, I have read that there are two different types of 4 speed transmission bell housings, one of which you have to move the reverse light switch. I am trying to find out when they switched bell housing so I dont find out mid build that I have to drill a new hole in the side of my new transmission.

Since 77 is the last year of Z that came with the 4 speed as the stock setup, and 5 speed as option, you're probably okay.  It's the early 4 speeds that had the reverse switch in a different spot.  And, of the two write-ups out there that describe the front case/bellhousing swap, at least one, maybe both, has pictures of the early and late 4 speed reverse switches.  Find those write-ups and look at the pictures if you want to be positive.  For future searches, the 240SX 5 speed is also known as the 71C transmission.

You could also measure the distance from the parting line (adapter plate) to the switch on both and see if they're the same or not.

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1973-datsun-240z-11118/car-pictures/240sx-transmission-swap-14041/DSC04293JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg-266482

http://home.comcast.net/~zheimsothtn/transmission.htm

Edited by NewZed

You also don't really need to enlarge the coutershaft  bearing hole on the bellhousing. You can just swap the bearings and put the smaller 280Z one on the 71C transmission, This makes the swap easier, but I have read that you will loose how much torque the transmission can take.