#61 Boben

Boben

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

The Alfa fan geometry looks also suitable for both applications so I think it is going to work. Also, a fan can produce a much bigger volumetric air flow in a push configuration compared to a pull configuration.

Now that I look at the picture of the fan I posted assembled in front of the condenser, I realize that the geometry is definitely meant for a pull application and not optimal for a push aplication. Too bad... I guess I'll just need to wait and see when the day comes when I finally get the car running, weather or not I run into heat issues.

#62 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Also, a fan can produce a much bigger volumetric air flow in a push configuration compared to a pull configuration.

You lost me here. I don't think this is correct. If I take a fan, and have it blow one direction, then turn it another direction, it's still blowing the same amount.

#63 74_5.0L_Z

74_5.0L_Z

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • LocationRockledge, FL

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

I have a 1995 Mustang electric fan mounted ahead of my radiator in my front air dam. The fan was originally meant to be mounted behind the radiator as a puller, but I have it mounted as a pusher. The important thing is that I kept the flow direction the same. The inlet side of the fan is facing forward.

#64 tim.d

tim.d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

You lost me here. I don't think this is correct. If I take a fan, and have it blow one direction, then turn it another direction, it's still blowing the same amount.

Depends on the fans initially design orientation. 'push' fans will often be optimized for higher static pressure than a pull setup. That being said, the real world difference isn't probably that big... Adequate shrouds are probably the most important factor.

Edited by tim.d, 10 March 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#65 74_5.0L_Z

74_5.0L_Z

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • LocationRockledge, FL

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

For mine, I made sure that the air that entered the front of the car had nowhere to go except through the radiator. The fan is only necessary when you are not moving. If you give the air an escape route after it goes through the radiator, then the cooling will be more efficient regardless of the fan.

http://forums.hybrid...r-custom-front/

#66 Boben

Boben

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:22 AM

Depends on the fans initially design orientation. 'push' fans will often be optimized for higher static pressure than a pull setup. That being said, the real world difference isn't probably that big... Adequate shrouds are probably the most important factor.

What I've come to understand from work dealing with filtered air cooling systems for electrical cabinets is that a fan has a hard time sucking air through a filter, which is basically the same thing as pulling air through a radiator. Also, while axial fans are capable of producing the same amount of air flow as radial fans without restrictions, the situation changes quite dramatically when a restrictive element such as a filter is introduced in front. In this confuration, the radial fan is the winner in terms of air flow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users