HybridZ

L28 Crank Angle Sensor Mount and Trigger Wheel

240hoke

Hey Guys, 

It's been a while since I have been active on HybridZ.  My car and projects have been on the back burner for a while but I'm excited to say that I have been putting more time in the garage! Tinkering with my VQ240z, building a LS2 240z, and working on other projects (Such as a L28-VQ 6 Speed Transmission Adapter :D )

Another member on the board asked for me to design a crank trigger setup for the L28.  Even though I don't have a L28 in my car any more I still love the engine and hope to build another one in the not too distant future so I decided to take it on.  I am ready to cut material and I wanted to see how much interested there was for a setup like this as I am hoping to produce and sell as an easy to install 'bolt-on' kit.

Details:

- Required Pulley: Euro Single Groove (Available from MSA for 90USD) 

- DIY Autotune Hall Sensor

Kit Contents:

- Trigger Wheel (Laser Cut 1018CR)

- Trigger Wheel Location Tool (3D Printed PLA)

- Trigger Sensor Mount (Black Anodized 6061)

- Distributor Block Off Plate (Black Anodized 6061)

- All hardware required to mount the components (316 Stainless)

The kit is designed to work only with the single groove pulley.  The trigger wheel comes with the center section in place which locates it concentrically on the pulley snout, the plastic tool is used to align it properly using the keyway as a guide.  Once in place (3) 8-32 holes are marked and then tapped into the pulley.  The center web of the crank trigger wheel can then be easily cut away and the outer ring bolted in place.  The crank trigger mount bolts to the 240z timing marker location and has a stainless adjustable timing pointer.  It is designed to line up to TDC when centered but allows you to double check against your engine and adjust to get the marker perfect if desired.  The mount is designed to fit properly without requiring adjustment,  the sensor angle can be adjusted in your software if a slight tweak is needed.  I designed the mount and trigger wheel to package as nice as possible. 

The distributor block off plate uses an o-ring seal to eliminate the paper gasket, and could also be available separately if desired for those with a different crank trigger setup.  

I have made the components from PLA for test fit and everything looks good so far,  next step is to get the pieces cut.  Please let me know if you have any interest or if you have any thoughts or input.  I am certainly open to suggestions for improvement. 

Please see the attached pictures for  CAD images and mock up pictures.   

These should be ready in about 3 weeks, pending any additional changes.  Cost will be around 225 for the kit (without a sensor or pulley) the more interest the cheaper they can be! 

Austin Hoke

post-352-0-10730100-1415935671_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-84491500-1415935678_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-63092700-1415935685_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-53510100-1415935784_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-68940000-1415935806_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-04719200-1415935816_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240hoke
  • Like 1

Wish this had been around before I started collecting and modifying the 81' ZX crank trigger hardware.

I wonder if that sensor mount would work with my trigger wheel... Very similar positioning. If you'll sell just the sensor mount in raw aluminum I might just have to try it out!

Edit: If it did work with my trigger wheel, you'd have an option for 3 pulleys!

Edited by LanceVance

I've been considering switching from SDS to MegaSquirt, but didn't want to put the effort into designing the trigger bracket (I want to minimize down time). A 'bolt-on' solution could push me over the edge. However, I'd only be interested if it would work with the stock dual groove pulley. I'm fed up with roasting alive in my Z, so I'm adding A/C. Any chance you'd do a stock dual groove pulley version?

Also, I'm using a 35mm freeze plug in the distributor hole, so would you sell your kit without the block-off plate?

Nigel

Hey Guys,

Nigel,  I can certainly offer the parts separate if desired.  But surely you would like a nice billet o-ring piece instead of a freeze plug   :D

Regarding fitment of the stock pulley and accommodating A/C I need to do some research on the different options.  The main driver for compatibility is going to be the pulley OD, and I suspect that the S30  2-row crank pulley will be compatible.  If you have one on hand I would love to see some detailed pictures and an OD measurement. Assuming the correct offset can be achieved the other option is to have a pulley made that bolts to the Euro Damper.  I picked the Euro damper initially because it is readily available new and fairly inexpensive. 

That being said I am already down the road of procuring this style mount, the machine shop is already working on programming.  I have the CAD setup to fairly easily draw other options if there is interest in another kit that fits a specific pulley.  I can even do custom setups but on-off parts are just more expensive to have machined.   

If you can provide me with your pulley OD and backface offset from the timing mark boss then I could do a rough check.

Offset will be difficult for me, mainly due to everything being apart and in boxes, but the OD is almost 7" exactly.

The main driver for compatibility is going to be the pulley OD, and I suspect that the S30 2-row crank pulley will be compatible. If you have one on hand I would love to see some detailed pictures and an OD measurement.

OD here is almost 6" exactly, I'll work on photos tonight. Anything particular you need an angle of? This one is mounted to the engine, on the engine stand so this is much easier!

Hi, 

The main picture I would need is of the back face, a side shot would probably work. However from the sound of it the Euro damper is slightly under driven with an OD of 5.12 (130 MM).  This means the stock pulley will crash into the sensor.  As I mentioned previously I'm already having these parts cut and I feel like there will be a good many who are not running a/c and this will provide a clean installation for a reasonable price.  I am having 10 kits made initially, and if anyone is interested in one you can email me and I'll contact you when they are ready if you would like (hokeperformance@gmail.com). 

Looking at the A/C 2 row version it looks like it may be difficult to get the required offset with a bolt on pulley for the Euro damper.  The best option is likely to make a new setup to work with a a selected OEM pulley and go from there.  I'd be happy to develop another setup to do this, what I would need is 5 people committed to purchasing (although I would require no deposit) and then a pulley to borrow. It would be the same style setup but with a larger trigger wheel and the sensor moved outboard to match.  

-Austin

Edited by 240hoke

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, 

All the parts are in for the trigger mount kits!  I will be packaging everything up and will have them ready to ship out no later then December 30th if anybody orders this week.  They are availbile for purchase on my webstore.  I have (8) kits availible in this first batch which I am offering at a discount. After the 8 'beta' sets are gone the price will go up to the normal price.

I am excited about getting these kits out there, and getting some feedback.  Attached are a few pictures of the finished components, for more detailed information please check out the product development page on my website.  I will be posting a video shoing how to instal the trigger wheel next week,  the first setup on my mockup parts took less then 10 mintues to instal total including the wheel mounting.  

http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/l-series-crank-angle-sensor-kit

post-352-0-61644200-1419171365_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-58645800-1419171374_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-92128500-1419171389_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240hoke

• 2 weeks later...