HybridZ

My "Z8" build (lots of pics)

86350zx

Well I've Been hard at work with my first engine swap. I originally wanted to do a SBC but found a

deal on a 351w and a world class T5. The car is an 86 non turbo that had over 260k miles on it.

Stripped the motor and trans and sold for parts money.

Here is the car when I got it

300zx.jpg

Pulling the motor

300zx3.jpg

Stripping down the truck motor for paint and goodies. Engine came out of a junk truck with only 123K

but had a tree smash the cab.

iPhone630.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the first test fit....Not even close to fitting

iPhone651.jpg

I figured I'd try the foxbody swap oil pan and it works perfect!

iPhone708.jpg

Still plenty of room around the bell housing

iPhone714.jpg

Motor mount design. I figure simple is better? and I've since added more bracing to them

iPhone745.jpg

iPhone746.jpg

Trans mount that uses the stock bolt holes in the body. It's ugly but hey it works

iPhone765.jpg

iPhone763.jpg

And lastly with the carb sitting on top and the motor and trans bolted in 

iPhone777.jpg

As you can tell I'm not going for show car on this one. I just want something fun to drive and I can learn new things with.

Next will be running fuel lines, figuring exhaust,  and ignition. Plus I'll need to rebuild the T5 trans.

The swap so far hasn't been near as bad as I thought it would be. Lots of fun actually! 

I think I've only heard of one z31 ford swap until now, I believe a 5.0 ...  looks like you're well on the way, are you keeping it carb?

I'm sure you agree, this one deserves dual exhausts... there will be some cutting involved, but very doable :)

PS. click my sig, I make a ton of suspension goodies for these beasts :)

*edit* hah forgot we don't have those here... http://responsetype.com/shop/

Edited by G-E

as far as hood clearance the stock hood won't work. I could always modify the cross-member more to lower it a few inches but the

hood touches the carb as it is. I only had to trim the front of the cross-member and a little off the steering rack mounts to clear the pan.

Yes I will be keeping it carb I'm actually swapping from EFI to carb. The doner truck was a 95 F250 so i has the roller cam.

My plans are to get it running and driving in stock form then slap some aluminum heads on with a bigger cam. I'm trying to find a

set of foxbody swap headers to see if they will clear the steering shaft.