HybridZ

What would you suggest for a trans in a 280z L28 track car with high HP?

Rosco

Scobuggy's engine numbers are well within reach.  I was the team cyl.hd developer for an IMSA 280ZX GTU team during the 80s and we saw 330BHP

@ 9200 RPM on the team's GO-POWER dyno.  IMSA changed the 2.5 liter limit to 3.0 ( 2 1900 lbs).  So our prepped L28 blocks were just at 3.0 liters

running a Duke Schneider cam of our own grind.  Induction was via FI using Weber 50mm bodies as 'throttle bodies'.  Ferrea titanium valves opened

the entrance and exit doors to the combustion chamber.  John Caldwell did the builds and refreshes for us prior to his moving to Dan Gurney's Eagle

operation.  But with a Rebello 3.2, ITBs on good gas....I'd say Scobuggy is right on the mark.  That has to be a nice piece of machinery.

This winter 240Z race car refresher includes swapping out the R200 3:90 LSD with an R180 4:375 Quaife. Better gears, lighter and less heat (no diff cooler needed).

Just starting to figure out the shift points if I use the current 1980 tranny or the dog leg-dog ring 5-spd direct drive. It can be configured for any gear set on the market (Nissan Comp ratios or custom). Fitting the BSR tranny cooler and pump for 60 & 90 minute races.

L6 will be making 320+ hp on 225/45/15 tires (vintage rules).

Unlike John, my Rebello was not put together very well (excess wall to piston gap, not line bored, bent crank, deck not machine surfaced, bore off by 4 thousand, stock bolts,  and pistons not coated, etc.). The engine had 500 street miles before going into the race car. It did 4 twenty five minute sprint races before the pistons slapped the walls at 6800 rpm. You can pretty much guess what happened next.

We'll build our own this time for less money and in less time.  

Starting back in 2001 I too had a 3.0, 3.1 and now the 3.2 running on 100 for the street and 110 at the track (short lived as it was).

This my last motor from him. That block is now destined for a watery grave doing service as a buoy anchor at the lake.

Scobuggy - I fly in to Raleigh every 2-3 months for work throughout NC PM me if you'd like to meet and discuss race car setups.

post-311-0-19221400-1418185533_thumb.jpg

[John C] Probably not.  IIRC, the 240SX R&P is for the short nose R200.  Your Datsun used the long nose R&P.  There are kits available that will let you install the short nose R200 into your Datsun if you want to go that route.

I'v searched for this "kit" with no luck. Do you know where I can find it? 

Edited by scobuggy

• 4 months later...