HybridZ

What would you suggest for a trans in a 280z L28 track car with high HP?

Rosco

I have a 280Z track car with a built L28 and a 240sx trans, it has a OS Geiken LSD (not sure the gear ratios). Id like a trans with a taller first, closer second and third and a shorter fifth than the sx trans.

can I get gears for the sx trans and build it?

is there a trans out there that fits the bill that will bolt in with little modification? or a lot of mods? 

Any guidance will be much appreciated.  

I'm shifting to fith at about 120mph, hp peaks at 7,300+/- rpms

357hp @ flywheel

300ftlb torque @flywheel

16" wheels with 245/45z R6's 

Stock gear ratio diff with OS Geiken LSD (not sure of ratio, one search says 3.54 another says 3.36)

I have that SX trans in it now and if 2nd and 3rd were closer and 5th was a little shorter it would be great. 

Custom built dog box with straight cut gears is about $7-8k 

Budget is about $4-5k

Edited by scobuggy

Take a look at the gearing that came with the '82 & '83 280ZX.  They were designed to go with a 3.90:1 differential so 1st & 2nd are slightly taller than the early 280Z 4 & 5 spds  with closer ratios through the first 4 gears and roughly a .75:1 5th gear overdrive.

I don't know the 240SX tranny gearing so you'll need to have all the numbers to make a decision as to whether a stock tranny can do it for you or if you'll have something custom built.

Edited by Phantom

SX trans

1st gear: 3.321

2nd gear: 1.902

3rd gear: 1.306

4th gear: 1.00

5th gear: 0.759

81-83 zx trans

1st gear: 3.062

2nd gear: 1.858

3rd gear: 1.308

4th gear: 1.00

5th gear: 0.745

This I'm sure is a dumb question but I don't quite understand the ratios. Which out of these two is a closer gear ration more suitable for a track car? 

Edited by scobuggy

Depends on a lot of things. Tire size, diff ratio, top speed at track, RPM's in important corners at track, power of engine, how hard and fast you want to shift, Availability of parts, and finally, how much you want to spend. For example, that ZX tranny you listed above is a good compromise, but if your gearing and track requires you to shift to 5th at 110+ mph, it sucks.

• Like 1

Too many factors I guess.

I'm shifting to fith at about 120mph, hp peaks at 7,300+/- rpms

357hp @ flywheel

300ftlb torque @flywheel

16" wheels with R6's

Stock gear ratio diff with OS Geiken LSD (not sure of ratio, one search says 3.54 another says 3.36)

I have that SX trans in it now and if 2nd and 3rd were closer and 5th was a little shorter it would be great.

Custom built dog box with straight cut gears is about $7-8k

Budget is about $4-5k

This http://www.rhdjapan....main-shaft.html unit won't work with the SX trans according to OS. But thank you for the link

What makes you say that?

COMPATIBILITY NOTES:

Compatible Engine: SR20DET (FR)

Compatible Transmission: FS5W71C

The 71C is the SX trans, and aside from the bellhousings, they are otherwise identical, from what I've read. Take a look here http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-swapping-sr-bell-housing-to-ka-transmission-t278158.html

A higher numerical rear drive ratio will make the gears feel closer, and shorten the top end.  You could probably get what you want with a different gear set in the back.  You'll have to figure out what you have now first though.

The ZX trans has closer low gears but a taller 5th.  So you'd still need new gears in the back for the last shift.

How do you get 357 HP, 300 ft-lbs torque, out of a non-turbo L28?  That's some kind of "built".

I dont recommend shifting at 120mph. The CD alone will wipe 10-15 mph off combined with a poor 5th ratio will put you in a hole. Your options are to find a better 5th gear box, change gearing where you shift to 5th at lower speed, or change gearing so you can stay in 4th. With a $5k budget you might get into a used Jerico 4sp with convert parts from Taylor. Or convert a WC T5.