HybridZ

herniated L4/L5-S1=pain locker ;-(

280zex

So my dumb ass herniated 2 discs in my lower lumbar at work. That's what I get for moving peoples heavy belongings for a living, it was sure to happen. I have seen it happen to other fellow employees over the years. I thought I would be able to avoid it happening if I was to use the best possible lifting techniques along with keeping in good physical shape. Sadly this was not true.

The damage so far is I am unable to walk, and my right foot is starting to turn purple at times. The worst is the constant and unrelenting pain.

The crappy thing is dealing with L and i in washington state. These bastards are debating wether or not its worth me having an operation to provide a better possible outcome to life style change, or just leave me stuck in a wheel chair. I went to my personal dr and they cant help due to the l and i case. Im like wtf, i cant walk you #########. Got thrown out of dr office.

Being unable to work means no income to pay bills. I sold off my datsun pickups and was able to have enough $$ for rent thru january. Whats better is l and i is not paying for any of my perscribed medication.

Talked to a lawyer, they wont do anything until l and i closes my case. Only then i might be able to sue.

Might have to start striping the blow thru z for parts to sell off. Crap!!!!!!

Im open to suggestions, comments.......

post-1621-0-71366400-1416280542_thumb.jpg

Start checking of Federal and State retraining programs that you might be eligible for that will allow you to use your brain and not your back. 

i understand your frustration but i have a couple observations.

1. No one really cares as much about your situation as you do.  They all have their own load of crap to deal with.  It's up to you to persistently keep yourself in their face so that those who can do something - do.

2. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  Works with people too.  Time to learn how to be political and figure out how to approach people in a way that convinces them that they really want to help you because you're such a wonderful guy and you're so completely screwed that only they can start you on the path to recovery.

When the other guy holds all the cards the hammer will only work against you.  If you have a woman in your life have her call and cry on the phone while begging the person on the other end of the line to be her knight in shining armor and save your relationship.  You have to learn how to work the system - not fight it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actualy i picthed everybody involved as much hell as i could throw at them. 9drs, 3 chiro, 2 phys theripst, L and i too. Nobody listened until a friend hooked me up with the highest ranked neurosurgon in the PNW. He took 1 look at my mri and said congrats you broke your back, you need emergency surgery-now. Im gona scrub up, call who you need to, my people will be in here in 15min to prep ya.

The dr did this for free, he new i was in trouble- big trouble. I will also be getting free legal assistance, gona go after the jerky dr who said i was fine, and the dept of L and i for failure of due process.

My company fired me for failure to show up for work. How can i show up for work if im getting major lower back surgery!!!!

Dont ever trust what 1 dr tells you, get other opinions, and if they dont seem right- keep looking!!!!!!

I walked around for damn near 3 months with a broken back, and had to fight for my own health. I refuse to go down without a fight, ever. The best part is i have been dealing with this with NO pain killers, keeps me motivated.

I just got home from surgery, cant wait until monday to talk with lawyer. This gona be fun!!!!

Firstly...

"My company fired me for failure to show up for work."

You need to rephrase that properly. Your company fired you "due to inability to report to work due to an injury sustained while on the job."

That is a BIG distinction. This is an OSHA Recordable. Call OSHA and your state OSHA and turn their asses in, as likely they didn't log the proper forms...

Then pursue the lawsuit, as arguably this is job-related, and disability inducing.

Sadly your experience mirrors my buddy in Maryland. He had something going on that the back doctors told him was inoperable, everybody was at a loss for his symptoms. He was resided to laying on his back, wishing for death (which I'm sure you COMPLETELY understand...or would if you were in your state for more than a year instead of three months!) I had urged him to get a second opinion... I said by someone who wasn't thinking he was god, and who had some grey hair. Eventually he relented and went to get a checkup by a GP who diagnosed a degraded hip joint...not one, but two! Nerves were grinding on bone. He called me up cheerily "Dude I don't need back surgery, I need a new hip!" He had to wait 6 months to get the operation, he said 'just knowing it would end' made him feel better. The day after he had his hip replaced, without painkillers he got up and walked to the bathroom. The nurses freaked, and Larry said "Believe it or not, I feel great! It hurts LESS now without painkillers than it did laying flat on my back 24 hours ago!"

Made a great recovery. You will too.

Did they fuse the vertebra, or put in artificial discs? My bud has since had his other hip replaced and now gets around like he hasn't been able to do in 10 years!

Look into that retraining. This should all be covered under that disability insurance you paid for...

And the employer? Oh, firing you under those circumstances...I know why that lawyer took the case free up front...they did a colossally stupid thing there! Colossally STOOPID!

Best Wishes on the Recovery!

Edited by Tony D

no fused bone and what not. the dr and I have a plan A/plan B thing. plan A involved removing some disc material, some bone off the vertebra, and repairing part of a broken framen. if plan A doesnt work, then there is the ugly plan B. I dont want to even think about that!!!

I did get a lawyer, and she was like a child in a candy store when I explained what was going on. my whole case was mis-handled and I have all the proof in paper and electronic communication.

I can at least feel my feet again, so thats a good thing.  I'm just going to assume this legal mumbo jumbo is going to take quite some time.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your back.  I have been in your shoes (major back surgery) and can offer you need to be very careful in your recovery.  I have all my lumbar and S1 fused and I can tell you that you need to look at some of the newer options out there.  I think a fusion is a medieval surgery and often leads to needing more of the same in the future.  I wish no one the level of complications and shit I have had to deal with.  I really hope plan A works for you.  And if not be very careful what plan B is.  As you now well know your back isn't something to mess with.

Cary