HybridZ

To restore? or not to restore? (a gas tank)

quickdraw

I've struggled to find a detailed breakdown on when to restore a gas tank and when it's ok to leave as it is. I found this:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/111396-gas-tank-restoration/?hl=%2Btank+%2Bgood ...but it's pretty obvious that this one need work. And the googles has been pretty blank on the topic. 

The tank in question was pulled off ten year ago as part of a rotisserie build...everything stopped after primer...then I bought the whole setup. Fortunately, the owner was pretty meticulous and wrapped up the tank pretty well. Here's what I'm working with:

post-978-0-35570700-1416542470_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-74609000-1416542460_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-44687500-1416542452_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-83246400-1416542445_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-11364700-1416542436_thumb.jpg

I've talked to two shops here about restore and both costs are quoted around 4 hundo...not ideal...then there's always the DIY approach that's much less costly but I'm not even sure if I need it. To the average guy it seems fine in there. The exterior is pretty dirty but the interior looks good. I could use some help on the yay/nay on whether this is fine as is or needs work or any input that's helps solve this. Thanks

I think that looks pretty clean inside. If you do feel the need for ease of mind I recommend gastank renu service. I have had this done to a used 75' tank and it came out great for somewhere around $250 or so, (awhile ago can't remember exact price).

http://www.gastankrenu.com/ 

"Our unique, chemical bonding repair process gives your fuel tank a tough, "double layer" of protection.

Gas Tank Renu - USA coats both the inside and outside of your tank, sealing it from rust and corrosion.

We are so sure of our patented process, that we offer a limited LIFETIME NATIONWIDE WARRANTY on every passenger car or light truck tank repaired and two years on all other tanks.

Our guarantee is honored at any Gas Tank Renu - USA Dealership.

Gas Tank Renu - USA's repair process is completely compatible with gasoline, water (non-drinking), diesel, 
methanol and ethanol".

It looks pretty good to me. Clean the outside and see if it is rusted under the dirt. I had a tank cleaned and repainted at a radiator shop about eight years ago for about $100. No sealer inside, just cleaned to remove rust. I am not a fan of coatings as they can flake off and cause more problems than they are trying to solve.

^^I agree with the do it yourself coatings. The process that I suggested has the tank split at the seem blasted and coated with a plastisol almost like powder coating type process, the put back together and exterior painted. They fixed the two holes that the "pick your parts" junk yard mandates to all gas tanks and did a great job. I elected to have the exterior left in primer and painted with my own color choice. 

That tank is in marvelous shape. I'd be curious as you why you think it needs a resto.

If you clean the outside, carefully inspect the pinch weld all around for any signs of separation or bulging that would show rust growing from the inside out.

Check the brazes around the inlet and outlet tubes and ensure they are tight, with NO movement. Change the O-ring and check the oring seat area around the level sender mounting ring, put gas in it and go!

Edited by z240

That tank is in marvelous shape. I'd be curious as you why you think it needs a resto.

If you clean the outside, carefully inspect the pinch weld all around for any signs of separation or bulging that would show rust growing from the inside out.

Check the brazes around the inlet and outlet tubes and ensure they are tight, with NO movement. Change the O-ring and check the oring seat area around the level sender mounting ring, put gas in it and go!

I've never built a car from the ground up so I'm being overly cautious. It's much easier to research or leverage the community's knowledge to get the "that tank's in marvelous shape" comment than to not know and find out the hard way. 

Thanks for the input. Much, much appreciated.  

That tank is immaculate compared to what I found in my tank:

20140316_1237_zps7fc920e3.jpg

Before I rinsed mine out I was replacing inline fuel filters every week and a half.

I'd say rinse it out and clean up the outside and you should be good for a while.

That tank is immaculate compared to what I found in my tank:

20140316_1237_zps7fc920e3.jpg

Before I rinsed mine out I was replacing inline fuel filters every week and a half.

I'd say rinse it out and clean up the outside and you should be good for a while.

Oh wow. Seeing that puts it into perspective. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I would say cosmetic restoration externally only.

The inside of that tank looks like freshly acid washed! You won't find much better.

Clean the outside with simple green, lots of water and a soft soft-bristled brush.

Once it dries, see if it's shiny enough for your tastes...if not shoot it with some new glossy paint and be happy!

• 3 weeks later...

I would say cosmetic restoration externally only.

The inside of that tank looks like freshly acid washed! You won't find much better.

Clean the outside with simple green, lots of water and a soft soft-bristled brush.

Once it dries, see if it's shiny enough for your tastes...if not shoot it with some new glossy paint and be happy!

Thanks everybody. External cleanup it is.