HybridZ

Snow removal

dsommer

WAY OFF TOPIC!

Currently I am unemployed, I've quit looking until after the holiday season.  So I bought a Polaris 700 4x4 quad with a snow plow (praying for snow now) so I can generate some cash flow. (sold off a bunch of misc. stuff to buy the machine)

My question is (if you have plowed with an ATV before) how much do you charge/how much should I charge for this service?  I understand it's what the market will bear.  I'm looking at driveways that are about 1000 +/- sqft.  and perhaps small business.  Also factored in has to be the amount of snow.  One year it snowed 2 feet (in Arkansas!) so I know I wouldn't be able to clean that off until the melting started. 

Included in the service will be an application of snow/ice melt after the initial cleaning, looking at doing that so I can charge for the "package" and not just push snow and have the property owner salt it themselves. 

Additionally I'm researching a pre snow melter that can be spray applied prior to the actual accumulation which makes it easier to remove (good for me).  The pre application mixture is about $10/gallon buying it in a 30 gallon drum.  One gallon covers 1,000 sqft.

(I'm also looking a any available pickle juice from local restaurant's for a melting agent, wouldn't that make your driveway smell good!)

The pre treatment would be only for residential customers in my surrounding neighborhoods that I can get to them quickly prior to the "storm".

So what does the community think?  Currently I live in a neighborhood that has 200 homes with adjacent neighborhoods numbering the same.  The "upidityup" neighborhood that borders mine (read house hold income greater than $150,000 and homes costing $475K+(remember ARKANSAS, that's a lot of money) have long driveways. 

I have close to NO competition (and experience) unless the larger homes have big plow trucks come in and I've never seen an ATV plow around here in the 15 years I've lived here.

Your help and thoughts are appreciated.