HybridZ

L28 - 350Z 6 Speed Transmission Adapters

240hoke

You can do a search, but if I remember right somewhere in 04 they made the switch. There is a sticker on it with numbers but the one I have the ink on the sticker got rubbed off I think cd009. So 05 and up you are good  

Found this from a post on the 510realm forum this morning on the topic of Z33 trans adapters. Maybe this is a workable solution from another vendor.

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/adapter-plates/rb26dett-rb25det-ka24de-to-350z-350zhr-370zransmission-adapter-plate.html

I don't claim to be familiar with the KA trans bolt pattern but the discussion in the thread from knowledgable 510 folks suggests L fitment would work. Worth a look at least.

I've sold two Collin's kits.  They have an issue with shipping stuff....

Anyway, the adapter works nice, the original adapter required shaving, and the new one doesn't.  The problem with shaving, is not everyone can do it, but if you don't have shave it, it ends up being wayyyyy too long.

So after you trim the shifter down, it still doesn't sit perfect. 

It's a good solution though, but has it's issues.  But then again, we're trying to get a transmission to fit on a motor, AND chassis it's not designed for.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

First off I apologize for posting this project and just being a tease so far...I would have never posted  if I thought it would take me so long to finish these up.  I appreciate everyone's interest,  I get a good many inquiries on this adapter.  Unfortunately there hasn't been any progress since the last time I posted it's actually sitting beside me now collecting dust. I have been busy with some other projects and my Z parts have been on the back burner. 

I can't commit to a date to finish them either, except that I still plan to but it will be sometime next year. I will be sure to post on here and my Facebook page when I do restart work on them. I try to get on here from time to time, but the fastest way to get in contact is through email, hokeperformance@gmail.com.

Thanks!

-Austin

Edited by 240hoke

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Im new to this. I have a question hope someone can help me out. If i have this adapter, what else do i need to have it works? Can i still use my 280z flywheel, clutch and pressure plate? If not, will the 350z clutch bolt right in to my 280z flywheel? Or is it something that i need to modify? Thanks

Kevin,

• 3 weeks later...

Posted 3 days ago

Hey Guys, 

I realize it has been a long time since I originally posted my adapter progress here, I worked on it for a couple months and then put it in the corner as I was working on other projects and only do this on the side...that was like over 2 years ago  :(.  

LS kit are now in production and the CD trans has my full attention.  I am on track to have the complete prototype together in April, I'll be 3D printing the last parts for functional fitment this weekend.  After that I could potentially get a few plates in folks hands for beta testing.  I have a local gentlemen who will be the first tester and allow me to design the transmission crossmember and other bits and pieces to make it a true bolt on, which will take a little time past the April proto.

So to be more specific:

March - Finalize design, 3D printed parts to compliment machined plate. Physical mockup and bench test

April - Machining prototype parts.  Prototype Mockup and bench test.  Pricing Release. 

End of April/May- Potential for first Beta testers plate only

End of May/June - Full Kit availability with transmission mount etc

Again here is a link to my site with pictures of the plate:

https://hokeperforma...6-speed-adapter

And I will be regularly updating this thread now but most up to date will be facebook:

www.facebook.com/hokeperformance

Just wanted to let you guys know this will be an option and I'm still alive  :)

-Austin

Edited by 240hoke

Hey Guys, 

Update for this week.

Flywheel spacing has been confirmed,  the L28 flwheel and clutch is positioned using both a spacer and a new throwout bearing sleeve.  The combination of these two parts aligns the flywheel with the input shaft splines and locates the 350z slave cylinder fork correctly.  Due to the thicker dual mass flywheel (DMF) and clutch used on the 350z the 6spd trans has the correct shaft length but different spline location compared to the stock S30 transmission...thus requiring the spacers.  The great thing about this though is you may use any L series clutch which most folks will have already invested in upgrading. The flywheel spacer will be a turned component which is then ground to ensure the two mating faces are parallel within several ten thousands of an inch....I have a quote out to ARP for custom metric flywheel bolts with the correct grip length for this new setup. I have a SLA printer in house now and used it to mockup these components and check fitment: 

post-352-0-04864700-1490451792_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-27396000-1490451856_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-26277200-1490451863_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-54798500-1490451870_thumb.jpg

With the clutch at home the next step was the starter location.  With the new flywheel spacing the starter has to shift to match the flywheel, this was easy enough to work into the adapter plate.  Unfortunatly the starter pockets in the CD trans line with the L series block and just dont jive with where the starter needs to be.  This will require material removal on the bellhousing, its not precision work through so it can be done by most folks at home.  I'll use basic hand tools to develop a suggested method on my transmission. Here are a few shots from CAD, I will be 3D printing this over the weekend. 

post-352-0-94383800-1490452857_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-83905000-1490452864_thumb.jpg

With everything ready for the trans/engine mating I will be moving to machined prototypes over the coming weeks. 

The next design challenge is making a new shifter to make it line with the factory holes...it will be a bit of a challenge....stay tuned!!

Edited by 240hoke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am currently doing parallel designs for the VQ transmission adapter. One using an OE L-Series flywheel with a spacer and starter relocator. The second being a lightweight steel flywheel with offset clutch spacing. I really like the new flywheel route, I can have them manufactuered for a reasonable price and it eliminates the spacer, custom bolts, and starter relocater. It also elminates the need to remove nearly as much material from the bellhousing. I believe the extra money adds value to the kit.

I plan to offer some early adopter 'DIY Kits' for those just looking for the adapter plate assembly. They would include Plate, Flywheel, Shifter Mount (5" rearward from OE hole), and Hardware. I hope to have some pricing on this by the end of the week. As I continue with develoment I will be offering a transmission mount and a shifter that comes out of the factory hole. If you are interested please DM and email me so I can plan for the flywheel purchases...currently planning on ordering 5 leaving 3-4 for early adopters.

I messaged you on Facebook. Was wanting to try your adapter with the VQ37 6 speeds. I happen to have a couple good ones already. Lots of shifter, hydraulic clutch, and throwout bearing kits and spacers out there for the IS300 and supra conversions. Would love to mix and match on the Z car. The hydraulic clutch spacers makeup for the adapter, just need the starter addressed.

Greg