HybridZ

240Z BMW M62 conversion

Boben

I am planning on installing a BMW M62 V8 engine into my 240Z and thought I would start a separate engine swap topic hear to get some feedback from other similar swaps. I found no reference of anybody doing this swap before, but I would guess there is some similarities to other DOHC headed V8 engines.

My project topic can be found here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/120290-240z-egoboost-by-boben/

I assembled a mock-up engine with a Getrag 6-speed transmission to test fit the engine. The engine is missing the alternator and the AC-compressor, but it is pretty clear from the test fitment that there will be clearance issue to the longitudinal frame rails if the engine is placed as low as it is in my test setup. In the test setup, the engine and trans are set horizontally and the transmission is almost touching the sealing of the transmission tunnel.

The fitment can be seen from the attached pictures along with a drawing of the M62 engine with all the auxiliary equipment.

post-32042-0-04691100-1417021485_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-74015600-1417021510_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-09461300-1417021543_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-78511200-1417021599_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-55329800-1417021705_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-73114400-1417021731_thumb.jpg

I Spend a few hours at the garage today. I found some cheap lazer alignment tools from the hardware store which I used to get the transmission axle and the differential axle to line up. Here the transmission axle is 30mm lower than the differential axle and the lines from the axles are aligned:

13602776.t.jpg 13602768.t.jpg 13602766.t.jpg

This is how it looks from the engine compartment:

13602787.t.jpg 13602788.t.jpg

The transmission is about 20 mm from the top of the transmission tunnel and the front cover of the has to be raised 50 mm in order to prevent the alternator housing from hitting the longitudinal frame rail.

I figured my options are to cut the longitudinal rails just before the cross member and make a tube frame in the front or to raise the transmission tunnel 50 mm and shift the whole power plant 50 mm higher.

I prefer raising the tunnel so I guess the Z is going under the knife once again.

Obviously the HVAC unit (or what ever that is called in these old cars) will not fit to the narrower space after the mod, but it seems as though the unit can be modified to squeeze it into the space. there is approximately 20 mm free space under the unit and the space under the heat ex changer  can be made narrower with still preserving some airflow. I don't know how good the ventilation to the foot well will be after the mod, but alot of the other problems associated to the engine mod will be solved. 

13602792.t.jpg13602800.t.jpg13602794.t.jpg

Neat project, in Scandinavia is that type of mill  popular in sourcing like an LS1 in the US?  . Keep us informed 

The M60 V8 is quite popular with the BMW E30 gang. I am not sure if these engines have been transplanted into other vehicles that much. This is the first attempt on a Z as far as I know.

I have been trying to find information on other V8 swaps of  whether people are able to preserve the transmission tunnel intact and still get the engine and transmission in without generating a huge angle difference in respect to the differential axle.

In my understanding they should be in the same angle and there should be a slight parallel displacement to assure proper joint movement.

Seems like in many cases the alternator is positioned quite high. Is there any other swaps that have been successfully finished, where the auxiliary devices of the engine are close to the longitudinal frame rails?

Found this picture from the web:

13609135.t.jpg

Does anybody confess this being from their swap project and mayby guide me to a write-up on the subject?

Anyways, this guy cut the frame rails and made some more room to assembly the engine lower. I was already pretty convinced that raising the tunnel would be the way to go, but then I saw this and talked to some mechanics design guys at work for initial design of the frame rail mod.

If I were to modify the frame rails, I would cut a piece of the rail at the strut tower and add a similar rail structure bend from sheet metal to the wheel well side. The cutouts on the rails in the engine compartment would allow me to assemble the engine low enough not to require cutting the tunnel. The engine would be positioned close to the firewall so that the AC-compressor and the alternator would slip into the cutouts at the strut towers.

The original x-member would be replaced by two x-members. one of these would be positioned in front of the cutout and the steering rack would attach to this from behind (opposed to the original placement in front of the x-member). The other x-member would be positioned behind the cutout. This one would include the engine mounts. The control arm attachment flanges would be cut out from the original x-member and welded straight to the new rail on the wheel well side. Any thoughts?

I built my mock-up a little bit further. I think cutting the frame rails to make some room is the way to go. I installed the steering rack, steering axle, brake booster, engine with heads and intake manifold. The exhaust is divided in two pieces per side and surprisingly on the driver side, even the front half of the stock exhaust manifold will fit and clear the steering axle. The rear part of the manifold will require some modification. On the passenger side the situation is not that good. The stock exhaust runs much further away from the engine because of the clearance to the starter and is hitting the longitudinal frame rail. On the top side, the valve cover is leaning on the brake booster, which needs to be moved closer to the clutch master cylinder. Luckily there is just enough room for the mod.

13612857.t.jpg 13612854.t.jpg 13612864.t.jpg 13612865.t.jpg 13612873.t.jpg

I started designing the motor mounting structure which will make use of the BMW engine stock aluminum motor mounting arms. I am not a mechanics designer by trade so go easy on me.

post-32042-0-64470100-1417872235_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-42591800-1417872245_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-35073200-1417872253_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile since my last update so here goes...

I ended up modifying the longitudinal frame rails to make room for the alternator and the AC compressor. It seemed like rising the transmission tunnel would not help anyways, because the next problem would be the intake hitting the hood. The original x-member will have to be lowered a bit to make way for the steering arm so my plan is to reinforce the longitudinals while a spacer has to be added anyway.

I acquired some poly bushings for the engine mounts and the transmission mounts and fabricated the mounts. The chassis mounts holding the bushings are sitting on what is left of the longitudinals. The forks connecting to the original engine mounts will probably still undergo so mods, but that remains to be seen.

The original transmission mount location of the 240Z sits too much to the front for the original Getrag fixing points so I made use of the transmission case connection bolts. The case is constructed of separate cases attached to each other and so I made brackets attaching to three case connection bolts on each side of the transmission. The mounts connect to the original 240Z transmission mounting locations.

The oil pan will need some customization but at least the oil pump will clear the x-member. The engine sits quite close to the firewall and the hood lock console prevents the installation of the stock intake manifold of the V8. I may need to make the console removable, but as the engine will be supercharged I will leave it for now. It might even work as is with the custom supercharger intake.

Here are some pictures of the progress:

post-32042-0-51289300-1425674783_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-51014700-1425674814_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-87419400-1425674840_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-23222900-1425674861_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-80067400-1425674886_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-70151500-1425674909_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-79115300-1425674931_thumb.jpg

post-32042-0-33760500-1425674961_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, this build is an awesome idea! That pic that you referenced is not my build, but I am swapping a vh into the same chassis. The person in that picture pretty much completely cut away their frame rails. this leaves very little in the way of structural support up front. If you really need to cut your rails for clearance, I recommend doing them at 45 degree angles like the blue twin turbo vh45 z that started this whole swap idea. http://www.zparts.com/showcase/engines/pages/q45v8z-testfit.html.

Personally, I just turned my engine a bit and am ignoring the fact that I need to build headers sometime in the future. Also, if you have the fabrication skills to do this swap, you might want to consider relocating your accessories. you can even spin them around and mount them backwards if you like.

• 11 months later...

Amazing, I have a S130, which I believe have more room to install the M62B44, how will you tackle the other stuff like the rear differential, suspensions and brake upgrade etc. will the same drivetrain be able to transform into the Z at the same time? Since the E39 is pretty cheap these days, I am very eager to see if a successful build is found here!

Also, are you planning to megasquirt the motor or using BMW original ecu?

Amazing, I have a S130, which I believe have more room to install the M62B44, how will you tackle the other stuff like the rear differential, suspensions and brake upgrade etc. will the same drivetrain be able to transform into the Z at the same time? Since the E39 is pretty cheap these days, I am very eager to see if a successful build is found here!

Also, are you planning to megasquirt the motor or using BMW original ecu?

I kind of climbed ass first to the three with my topics here at hybridZ, didn't I? The information of my build is quite scattered since I first started documenting my body widening project here: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117948-my-widened-240z/

Then I started this engine fitment topic that you are currently reading and only after this I decided I want to start a members build project since I am doing all kinds of other mods to my car as well. The build project where I plan to update my progress from now on can be found here: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/120290-240z-egoboost-by-boben/

Turning now to your question. I propably would have installed the whole drivetrain from the BMW family, but ended up installing a Skyline GT-R32 rear subframe with all the stuff coming with it. Sorry for not documenting that in my project topic. Maybe I should make a post or two of that. It was a big task to fit it and I guess the E39 subframe could be fitted "as easy". In turns of width, I would probably look for something like a Z4 subframe of the like. I am using Megasquirt as the engine management.

If you are wondering how to climb a tree ass first. Here is how it is done... at least they tried: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5YBIKGeNU

• 4 months later...