HybridZ

Building new garage-what do I need?

RebekahsZ

Framing has started on a 30x30 shop for my Z and other future projects. The ceiling is 13' high and I am planning to have a 4-post lift on one side and a 2-post lift on the other. I plan to have the walls plumbed for compressed air, a huge air compressor, work benches and shelving on all available walls with peg board for tools. Retractable air line and extension cords from the ceiling. Two 8x10 from doors on the street side and one 8x10 door on the back for light and ventilation. A ceiling mounted house fan to vent hot summer air into the attic and away. Gas heat. Lots of electrical plugs and several 220 plugs. What am I forgetting to finish up the perfect little shop for hobby level car work?

Edited by RebekahsZ

Floor drain.

look at slatwall products. I have mine woth extruded aluminum to hold all that I need for organizing.

Retractable electrical cords from the ceiling.

Retractable air hose lines.

GOOD LIGHTING. IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE ENOUGH, YOU DON'T.

A solid floor coating. I used a commercial grade product 2 part epoxy, top coating of polyurethane.

Define "Huge Air Compressor"!

post-380-0-43326800-1417439678_thumb.jpg

Seriously, if you want "big" define it, because you may make a big mistake getting a physically huge reciprocating compressor when recently better technology has become available that will really impress you in capacity.

If you want to do layout, chassis, or alignment a section of the floor dedicated to self-leveling epoxy surface plate...

Gas heat is nice...but a radiant floor heating system....mmmmmmm!

A shower stall in the corner using one of those tankless heaters makes the wife happy.

Edited by Tony D

+1 on radiant floor heat. Especially when building from scratch.

I'd like to keep any and all pumps/compressors in a separate room. Utilizing manifolds for pull down air hoses, etc... Reduces noise and cleans things up quite a bit.

If it were me, I'd also look into separating off a particular area for grinding/dust/paint with some sort of draft system.

Have you thought about powder coating? If so, definitely add a sandblasting cabinet, and oven to your list.

My next big project is going to be my new home/garage so this thread is of great interest to me.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Agree on putting the compressor in a room attached to the outside of the garage. No point in having to listen to it run the whole time. Bathroom with shop sink and shower. Order a big ass fan or 2, however many will fit for the summer months. I think those are 8'?

Two 8x10 from doors on the street side and one 8x10 door on the back for light and ventilation.

Do you have a person size door?  My garage didn't and it sucked.  The problem is now fixed... 

I also used to keep my tools at one end of the garage and spent lots of time moving between the project and the tools.  Now I keep everything in the middle in a roll around bench/tool box.  Projects go faster as the tool is always within reach.  Something like this with a nice top on it would be sweet:

2914_700x700.jpg

Might need to plan the outlets and wall studs to accept a side mounted garage door opener (where the lifts are going) and to have extended tracks and door panels that go all the way to the ceiling.  Regular entry door if not planned already.

side mounted opener:

I agree on the in-floor heat if possible, tube heater 2nd choice. In AL the tube heater might be a good compromise, heats objects well, quiet doesn't require a boiler. With sealed combustion  chamber and outside combustion air, relatively safe with combustible vapors. Definitely a floor drain. In my 1300 sq ft garage I have 7 - 4ft 2 tube electronic ballast high color temp tube fixtures plus 4 smaller fixtures for "walk through" vs "working" lighting discourages the wife and kids from leaving the main lighting on if it's switched in an inconvenient location. If the ceiling is bright white I have found the fixtures without a reflector actually bounce light better. That level of lighting has been good, I wouldn't do less. True electronic ballasts (I have Workhorse) don't pulse, are quiet (no hum) and more efficient. The high temp high CRI tubes (T8) are much nicer for working in, not "cool white" mine are above "daylight". I have one of the large industrial bladed ceiling fan for cooling and it moves air well but an actual cooler would be better. Plan ahead for outlets both 110 and 220, too many is not enough. I ran the basic wiring in the walls and the 220 and additional outlets in conduit surface mounted for future expansion. A good 2 stage compressor is a must, quieter is nice mine is 80 gallon 5hp 220v 17 CFM @ 175 psi and has worked well for everything I have needed. Plan your air lines to allow condensation to drain out at low spots. I had a copper cooler built that was extremely effective in a previous install. The water separator after was always dry. Upper cabinets everywhere allows storage on the walls but keeps the space below to store MIG, TIG, Plasma, torch, saws, brake, etc. HTH

Edited by Dave O

My friend in New Hampshire has this setup

k.jpg

Its a wide 3 bay garage, Lift in the middle bay, standard garage doors but a very high ceiling. Some storage is along the far wall in the picture. Theres a sand blaster and wood stove in the back corner, and to the left beyond what the image shows is a workbench, tool storage, and air compressor. Various spare engines, tools, welders, etc. are pretty much rolled around wherever they are not in the way.

The back door in the image leads to this:

_DSC0027.jpg

6 bays (3x2) of car and parts storage.

They would benefit from some organization and better storage systems

20130302_0301_zps9df4e3ec.jpg