HybridZ

CRAracer 76' 280z project

Slow progress but here some pictures of what has been going on. Still lots of grinding to do but I,m trying to stay ositiove and just keep moving forward.

20150428_184929_1.jpg

Major battery box area rot that was patched with fiberglass by the previous owner :(

20150518_183828.jpg

20150524_153212.jpg

Firewall repairs to follow. While is was cut open I coated the inside of frame with Eastwood Rust Converter and then Rust Encapsulater, and now waiting for everything to cure before I seal it back up.

20150524_153232.jpg

Start of of the repairs to the frame bracing area towards the front of the car.

20150518_183733.jpg

Hole patched with new metal.

20150531_014752.jpg

20150531_014802.jpg

New braced burned in and lower cross-member skin removed.  Inside of the radiator support was treated first with Eastwood Rust Converter then Rust Encapsulater.

20150622_184332.jpg

Edited by CRAracer05

• 5 months later...

Wow for your first big jump into body work you are doing some really high quality work. Before listing those flares off your parts car for sale you should consider transferring them to your car. Little like that from ztrix.com and go for 2k with everything. Plus that one already looks awesome it's just too bad the car is in such rough shape.

Wow for your first big jump into body work you are doing some really high quality work. Before listing those flares off your parts car for sale you should consider transferring them to your car. Little like that from ztrix.com and go for 2k with everything. Plus that one already looks awesome it's just too bad the car is in such rough shape.

Thanks, I actually have a bunch of new photos to upload. I just got rid of my part car yesterday, but I kept everything off it besides the seats, and rear interior panels.Hopefully I will get them uploaded sometime this week.

20150705_111750.jpg

Here is the replacement panel I fabricated.

20150705_112655.jpg

This it clamped into place.

20150710_223314.jpg

Here it is welded in place. You can also the replacement reinforcement plate above the frame rail installed here. All of this steel is 20 Gauge aluminumized steel to try and prevent future corrosion.

Edited by CRAracer05

20150717_214556.jpg

20150717_214601.jpg

Passenger side rocker panel cut off.

20150802_170810.jpg

20150802_170817.jpg

Here is the new rocker clamped in place with a bead of seam sealer between the panels. Once the sealer cured, I then cleaned the plug weld holes back out with the spot weld cutter and welded the rocker in. I also primed, painted and applied bed-liner inside the rocker panel before I welded it in place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

your progress looks great.    im getting ready to tackle similar repairs.  i just completed fixing all rot under my cowl. had to fabricate all new sheet metal.     where did you get all your replacement sheet metal i.e.    rockers, front fenders??

• 2 months later...

Picked up an early 280zx 5-speed for build.

IMG_0366.jpg

Also this weekend I built a cart to wheel my uni-body around. In the next week or two I'm going to be Soda-Blasting the shell down to bare metal and I need to roll the shell out into my driveway. I got the wood for free from some steel skids at work and the the castors from harbor freight for $15.00 each. I was surprised at how well the shell actually rolled around.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Edited by CRAracer05

• 3 weeks later...

Started stripping the body down to bare steel last weekend. Progress is slow, but the aircraft stripper is still faster than the soda blaster I bought. My game plan has changed now to strip everything I can with air craft stripper then hit all the tight areas with the soda blaster. Started finding other surprises as I started stripping the paint off too.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Edited by CRAracer05

• 7 months later...