HybridZ
Tank

VQ35DE 73 240 Build

Tank    11

Yeah I'm still on it! Well, sort of, it has taken a back seat to the house which will be done around April/May. But I am very ready to start putting everything back together, can't wait to drive this car again! Nice job on the 350z column, that's awesome. 

onyx_riddle    0

Hey Tank!   Love this build!

Quick question though:

Could you, given the very specific compatibility between my project and yours, tell me what wiring and electrical components i would need in order to make sure i won't buy a big boat anchor?

I've only ever swapped in old carbureted v8 engines back when I was younger and now that i'm on my own.. Im just afraid ill never get the thing to turn over.

If i have the ecu and the engine wiring harness.. what else could i be over looking?  Are vq engines known for having odd security features that require some heavy re-wiring?

I have a 76 and I'm ABOUT to chose my engine and get started.

It has a 350 in it but the install was not done to my satisfaction

I currently have my eye on either a 5.3 chevrolet, a vq with 6mt or an i6 with a 5 speed.

I guess my question is just:  Exactly what goes into making a vq motor start and run outside of the machine it was originally pulled from?

Tank    11

Onyx, when it comes to the vq, there are three options.

1- standalone engine management, not many doing that these days on regular motors because of options 2 and 3.

2- full wiring harness from the donar car, this includes the ecu, bcm, and lots of uneeded wiring. This requires an in depth process of picking through the wiring harnesses deleting what is not needed

3- reflash the ecu to work with no input from the bcm. This is what I have gone with.

What option 3 does, is allows the engine to operate with only what it needs, using the stock engine harness. No other computers or wiring harnesses are needed. However you still need a few other components such as the accelerator pedal assembly and obd II plug. So essentially the suck bang blow process still happens with stock components. The ecu is reprogrammed to delete the NATS (Nissan anti-theft system) which allows it to operate the engine without input from anything else. And the wiring harness is modified to give you 4 wires to hook up to the chassis. Ignition, ground, fuel pump trigger, and power.

That's the basics, but there are details such as grafting gauge sensors in the engine as the ecu will not send signals to gauges. This is easily solved with adapters, additional sensors, etc. For example I am running a splitter on the oil pressure plug to run the stock sensor for the ecu, and one for a gauge.

Now wen it comes to a 5.3, or any LS for that matter, you have the same options and more. But it is still easiest to send the engine harness and ecu off to an expert to reprogram and prewire for a generic installation. Options are widely available and affordable being that it is 'merican.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site covering pretty much everything including detailed write up on all of these options.

• Like 1

ovenfood    10

Hey tank, I've been doing a bit of a man look so I'm sure I'm looking in the wrong places but have you seen much info on VQ swaps with auto Transmissions? My current understanding is I need to buy a whole 350Z and keep the whole loom intact including the cluster but this was more of a suggestion than a 100% knowledge that I have to keep everything.

Tank    11

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. I have not seen much info on auto swaps but from what I understand, the ECU and BCM must be able to communicate with the trans module. So this would lead me to believe that they all need to be from an automatic car and not mix-matched from a manual and auto car. Give the guys at ZFever or RS Enthalpy call, those guys would definitely know the answer.