HybridZ

Good rings for .030 over L24 getting hard to find

madkaw

In the process of getting a refresh on my L24, but having hard time finding a good set of rings that aren't $$$

The machinist is trying to make sure that the set I get has the naiper second ring since the OEM is made like that and it seems to be imperative to the process. Trying to combine that with a good quality steel/moly top ring is where it gets tough.

Many manufacturers have discontinued stuff for the L24 in NON-metric sizes. I would have been better off having 1mm or 1.5mm overbore than the .030

Anyone with ideas on quality rings for my L24 that aren't 200$ for the set?   

Well my ebay rings arrived today in their Dana Corp box. I haven't delivered them to the machinist yet, but our big concern was the second ring being a napier style ring. The rings have no instructions and ,or description of what is what. I can only ASSume that the second ring is the one with the shinier outer surface.

It is the only ring that has any "cut' or resemblance of a napier cut. It looks chamfered with the naked eye, but under a magnifying glass it looks more like a napier cut. The only markings on the rings themselves is a TP and .075 on both rings. I would also like to ASSume that the markings indicate the top of the ring. I think TP is for Teikoku Piston corporation, but I would think the placement of the mark would be to place it topside.

I would appreciate any input from you guys on this. My other option is 200$ units from sealed power. Not trying to be a tight ass here, but I will be going to a L28 and don't want to put much money in this bottom end. The pistons are sealed power units, but they no longer make rings or pistons in this size, so its all special order now.     

post-1083-0-42972600-1418741731_thumb.jpg

post-1083-0-00974100-1418741740_thumb.jpg

post-1083-0-11855900-1418741750_thumb.jpg

I went with the sealed power rings to match my sealed power Pistons . The more I read about piston ring technology the more I was sold on the need for a Napier ring and quality rings in general.

The hasting rings are no longer available in the L24!.030 over.

More options for you L28 guys

Of course you want the highest quality rings for any application. But we are talking OEM cast style rings here, right? Yes, I have built many motors using Deves, and ITM ring/piston combos. Mainly these motors were used for street and track days. One motor was only used for track days and after about 3 years of events a compression check showed little change, and consistency across all cylinders. This engine was built with new ITM pistons and rings. Piston to wall clearance and hone finish is extremely important. The race engines I've built used a moly top ring. I'm rebuilding one now, and have to order custom rings to fit the Cosworth pistions I'm using.

Good idea to just get the sealed power rings. It makes no sense to skimp on engine components, as the machining is what is most expensive.

Pete,

I think the primary issue was more of getting or having a set that uses a Napier style ring regardless of material. I'm pretty sure the sealed power are a moly-style top ring.

Like you said, money well spent on good rings. It's a reality check when you find out prices of the high quality engine components. The machinist had the same conversation with me over valves. I thought SI SS valves was a big step up, but in reality they are near the bottom of the food chain when it comes to race stuff.

How nice would an unlimited budget would be!

C'mon Lotto

• 1 month later...

The piston ring saga continues. So I went with the sealed power set and tried fitting them yesterday. Top ring had a .027 gap and no I didn't touch them. Second ring was a bit worse. So I pulled out the Napa/Dana set and tried them. Still had .024 on the top ring. Recommended gap by Nissan .009-.015!

Called the machinist and he agreed the gap is too large. He said this happens when dealing with oversize and aftermarket.

I know he rehoned the cylinders to remove scratches, but my question is did he go too big? He admitted that he was on the wide side of the tolerance-but was within tolerance. 

He recommended ordering the next size over and and sizing .040 rings to fit. He said if you only went .010 over on the rings you could size them with no ill effects. He said he would eat the cost.

Regardless-I am taking the block and pistons for another opinion at a local machine shop.  

How about rings of proper diameter from another engine brand or design?  Rings, not pistons.  There's been stuff written about using Honda XL500 motorcycle pistons.  Might need to recut the ring grooves in the Datsun pistons but the rings might work.  They must have worked for the guys using the complete piston sets.

Here's one old thread from zcar that I found.  http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/45301-honda-xl500-pistons.html  Tony D mentions GM Vega engines in the post, another ring possibility.

And a parts picture - http://www.japbikespares.com/honda-xl500-oversize-piston-kit-rings-pin-clips-89-5mm