HybridZ

Pikes Peaks 2016

Thats interesting RebekahsZ. I dont really understand the purpose on a car you right foot brake on but Pikes Peak requires it. LSR I get it but otherwise it has to be so far out of the way and even then it wouldn't be intuitive to put your foot back on the gas to go digging for hook to pull it up. By then I think I would have just switched off the ignition but rules so there it is.

CAD (that's cereal box aided design in this case) at boxing in the footwell to connect the rocker wth the subframe. Would fill that little open triangle area in but dobt know still dont really like it.

image_zps21b0773e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fire system install. Bottle and you can see one nozzle to the right of my shoulder. Can also see the cage is painted.

image_zpstkg6v3ms.jpg

Two more nozzles on me

image_zpsamoof3ky.jpg

Three in the engine bay

image_zpsvunqy4qf.jpg

And now the rocker to frame fail / foot protection box (still needs finished but is welded in)

image_zpsdcxzwdru.jpg

Edited by heavy85

• 1 month later...

Just put it back on the ground for the first time in almost 6 months - off season in the North sucks.  Lots of little tedious details that consume time getting it back together.  Fitting the dash which involved much more than it seems like it should, moved the seat then nothing around it worked, moved from 5 to 6 point harness so had to add new mounts, etc.  Added crank scraper and baffled pan insert and took the accusump off the pressure switch to always on.  We'll see how this works out for oil control.  Otherwise just some maintenance like tightening a rear wheel bearing.  A Test and Tune day at the local autocross site next week the shake it our before the first race (NASA TT) at the end of the month.

Been spending more time training (that's what I tell my wife) for next year.  Bought G27 set-up and R-Factor2 to practice the course in a sim.  With 11 miles, 153 turns, and ~11 minute lap times that sucks up time fast.  Between the sim and watching literally dozens of hours of youtube in-car videos I've now memorized the course and am working on fine tuning the details.  Just bought tickets to take my sons to watch this years race.  Really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Thanks for the update! I hope to finish up my fire system this weekend. My bottle is a 10# and looks smaller diameter and longer-I like your bottle better. I got all my installation instructions from the supplier. My nozzles have to be oriented vertically-they aren't to be mounted on their sides. They are a different design than yours (Im not at all suggesting that one is superior to the other-it's just wild how much the products vary). My bottle is in the package tray because my battery is where your bottle is. My safety guy also instructed me to orient my nozzles I to the foot wells facing away from the driver. He says the idea is to activate the fire system while still moving to allow time to get car stopped and let the driver bail out of a stationary car. He was very concerned that I not direct nozzles onto myself because doing do might make it too hard to see to drive the car to a stop. I've seen em installed both ways. I too love your shifter boot (from a camaro)? And I like your prop valve location. What is the yellow knob?

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yellow knob is the dual master brake bias adjuster.  My fire instructions said to put the nozzles in the corner of the windows.  I thought that would be not good at all if you wanted to see and breathe so put them towards the legs/feet as well and the over the shoulder one.

The only guy I know who has been on fire is CobraMatt. My safety steward said that most fires come from the engine/firewall/dash and the flames lick backwards following the wind thru any holes in the firewall. He said that at 150mph, a tiny hole is like a blow torch. I asked if I should do anything back at my gas tank due to my stock rubber filler tube passing thru the interior of the car. He said that statistically that was a low-risk area and not to worry with it. I will be putting a nozzle on each kick panel facing in and forward to firewall. Then later this summer I will put one on each side of the radiator support facing rearward. He says the wind blows the foam backward and that sprinklers on the engine side of the firewall don't do much beneficial. They are super strict against any openings in the firewall, so I will be taking a roll of foil tape. I watched some videos on YouTube of race car fires and they were all under the dash at the driver's feet. But, none of them were crash videos-just fires that started during the course of a race. So, you can adjust brake bias both mechanically and hydraulically?

I've been in two cars that have been on fire on track... As RebekahsZ mentioned, most are due in no small part to fluid igniting on hot motor parts.  Do yourself a favor (as I will be doing) and weld closed ALL openings in the firewall, transtunnel, or anywhere else along the driveline... Think about any fluid that will connect with HOT exhaust pipes from CV Axle grease to differential and brake fluid to trans and motor oil to wheel bearing  grease.  ANY petroleum based fluid will ignite with enough heat and I've seen heat as high as 800 degrees on brake rotors/calipers/wheels.  So keep all that in mind.

• 4 months later...

Still working on it.  Two boys and I flew out to watch the race in June.  Incredible event.  May delay a year or two past 2016 but still definitely on the bucket list for the not too far future.  Been mostly doing maintenance like replaced clutch and hydraulics, etc and continue to play with aero.

Last weekend trekked 1580 mile to Pa and back for the Duryea hillclimb.  That is an intense hill ... 132 mph at the finish.  Still some seconds left in the car but still good for 8th out of 110 cars.  It will take full commitment and no margin for error to get there though.  If I dont do the PP next year likely to go back.

• 1 month later...

King of the Hill at the 'Chasing the Dragon' hill climb a few weeks back.  Didnt get the laptime I was looking for but able to FTD for the weekend and get the sweetest trophy ever - a full size sword.  Company cutbacks and according plummet of stock prices has PP in question for next year.  We'll see over the next couple months.  Regardless plans for update to fuel cell and rebuild the trans w/ faceplated gears over the winter.  Last race of the year next weekend so will get torn down soon.

https://youtu.be/aY9ksFVdifA

• Like 1

Nice run.  What time you were hoping to get? Sorry to hear that PP is looking less likely to happen.  It would be great to see it come together.

Cary

Thanks.  Class record is 117.1, my previous best was 117.3 weekend only got down to 117.5.  Was hoping to beat the class record. Kicker is previously I was on used R6 and upgraded to A6 specifically just to beat the class record but not to be.  On subsequent runs kept slowing down and eventually found both rear tires showing cords so maybe the tires were gone.  Only had about 20ish runs by then.

• 4 months later...

Still kickin. PPIHC is definitely going to have to wait a year or two but still making the best of 2016. Transmission is strapped to pallet ready to ship for a rebuild. T/C rod conversion to rod end is complete. Diffuser is mostly complete. Front end aero redo is almost complete. Singed up for Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR in May.

image_zpsqa7io9jc.jpg

image_zps3qgroqde.jpg

image_zps7gc6rxg9.jpg

• 3 months later...

The new front end for whatever reason makes the engine run much cooler. Its what you see plus the splitter was extended back maybe 8" to right up against the crossmember. Has always been sealed and ducted to the front but now pretty much run at the stat setting instead of the low 200's before. Ran Gateway in St Louis which was more fun than i expected then UTCC and NASA TT at VIR last weekend. VIR was even more challenging than I epexpected and only ended up with a 2:04.5 lap time well off the target 2 flat. The UTCC was really not much of an event with only 35 cars and didnt feel any different than a TT. After the UTCC I found the right rear gland nut to be completely loose alowing the strut to slide up and down in the spindle. Then Saturday the spindle itself snapped and caused wicked loose condition but got luckly and made it onto the trailer with no other damage. The new 3.54 / tuned OS Giken worked really well. Now need to replace upright and figure out rest of season.

Edited by heavy85