HybridZ

very wide 17x14 wheels

These might be too big, but anyone know if 17x14 rear, and 17x10.5 front will work? I understand the amount of sheet metal that needs to be cut out, but my concern is up front with that wide of a tire. These wheels have a -52 offset, and I would need a 1" spacer to change the bolt pattern to a 5x114.3. 335/35/17 wheels are on the rears, dont know the size up front, but probably not too far off on that. I have Marugen Shokai flares coming, that I am adding onto the car, and need to fill them out. They are coming off a wide body Supra with no spacers...

I assume the suspension geometry is also going to change significantly with these kind of tires on? Will adjustable LCA's be needed up front and rear?

I hope these are the flares you are referencing. No way those sizes in those specs will fit under anything in the "ZG flare family" unless fully custom. 

post-11862-0-21090200-1418599227_thumb.jpg

I'm with JMortensen on the IMSA flares. Those sizes should fill out IMSA sized flares nicely. Unless the ones you have are similar in width.

OK, I pulled the trigger on them. Should be interesting once I get them setup.  Vintage HRE 505's. 17x10.5 with 275/40/17 up front and 17x14 with 335/35/17 in the rear on KUMHO's for 1800$ I think I got a pretty good deal especially since they have tires on them about 75% tread left on them.

Now I need to find 4x114.3 to 5x114.3 adapters. Anyone got a good source where I can change the bolt pattern?

I am running Tokico Illumina's. It did drop the ride height about 2" or so when it was put in. Hopefully I wont have to raise it up any. I am still waiting on the flares still come in out of Japan (currently being made). They look very similar to your picture... The only person I know on Hybridz who has these flares is STIVVA

Heres some pictures on his car. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/87272-post-pics-of-your-zs-here/?p=1126558

post-35613-0-03183000-1418599300_thumb.png

post-35613-0-98464700-1418599309_thumb.png

post-35613-0-18706500-1418599320_thumb.png

post-35613-0-35828300-1418599330_thumb.png

Edited by AZGhost623

His car's build thread is actually where that picture I posted is from.  :D

Those wheels look awesome!

But as they are such a deep offset, why not just convert to 5 lug? Save you that offset that the spacers would add.

You'll have to mock them up to be certain you have the space though; you may have enough flare to be able to run them. I had some 4 to 5 lug on the rear of my Z for a while. I got them off Ebay.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought when it comes to these. The 1" versions and the bolt together 2" versions. I bought the 1" versions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X114-3-TO-5X114-3-5-LUG-CONVERSION-WHEEL-ADAPTERS-SPACERS-12x1-25-66-1-CB-/191271759874?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c88af7002&vxp=mtr

After having them arrive I found that the 4x114 holes were so small no sockets I had would fit in them to allow me to tighten the inner lug nut. So I had to drill them out 2 sizes to get a 3/8 drive socket to fit on. You have to use the lug nuts they provide because they are the only lug nuts I've ever found that come with a 17mm head in the 12x1.25 thread pitch. But they worked fine for my on road/mountain driving.

The bolt together ones are at minimum 1.5" but usually 2" but are probably a more straight forward install than the 1" that needs modification (or a custom socket with super narrow walls). So these would only work if you had an extra 2" to spare. My thinking is you'll have at most 1" if any at all.

I'm now running 5 lug drilled stub axles in the rear. I got them with a second shell I bought. Nicely done. Look just like this:

http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-260z/suspension/5-lug-hub-stub-axles-for-240z-260z-280z

Front I'm running Z31 hubs, but that moves the hub face about 30mm out. T3 sells 5 lug hubs with stock offset. But this is assuming you wont have space for added 1" spacers; but you may have enough room under the flare. Have to mock them up and see.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

But as they are such a deep offset, why not just convert to 5 lug? Save you that offset that the spacers would add.

I would need to buy new rotors, which I am currently not looking to do. I spent a pretty penny on some slotted/drilled rotors 2 years ago and dont want to change them out.. Its a means to an end right now with the spacers. Perhaps they could be drilled hmmm? Looks like the stub axles on silverminemotors would run me 720$ to convert where as the spacers would run about 400$

Could take the stubs to a local machine shop to be drilled to 5 lug. All they have to do is be able to find the center and use 1 existing hole as a start point to make the others. I've had a set of wheels drilled from 5x114 to 4x114 by a local shop before. $30 a wheel. As long as they have flat backs they can be drilled to a new pattern. Then just get your drums drilled to match and you're set. Or rotors if you're running rear disc.

My fronts are drilled stock rotors with the Z31 hubs and rotor spacers and rear drilled drums to 5 lug with no issues.

Good ideas I didnt think of. I think I was hooked on spacers because thats what people seem to do from what I have read a majority of the time. If I can get away without running a spacer, thats definately better in my opinion. The backs are flat, so they could be drilled possibly. Ill have to start searching around. Maybe Ill call a tire/wheel house here in town and see if they can recommend someone.

Calling around, drilling the wheels aren't going to work. I found a local business here in town that will make the wheel adapters for me. They need both the wheelbore and centerbore measurements to keep things hubcentric. Based on this setup the adapter is going to have to be 2" which is going to push these things out even more...

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Datsun/280Z%20%281975%20-%201978%29/

says the centerbore is 73.1mm for a 280z. Can anyone confirm?

I am soon to go a touch bigger with mine too. Im currently a 17x12.5 with 295 on zg and will be stepping up with the wider bamf to a 315 on a 13.5 i don't think the 335 will work but i might try it.

Edited by ZT-R

How about these?  http://www.ezaccessory.com/4_Lug_to_5_Lug_Adapter_44505450t_p/4450-5450t.htm

The 1.75" thickness may be thicker than you want....

Have dealt with this vendor many times, and am always pleased with price, quality and customer service.

P.S.  Like the wheels very much -- good luck with it.

Edited by jhm

• 2 weeks later...

14" wide tires will fit nicely under IMSA flares. Never heard of the flares you have coming. 10's up front isn't uncommon on race cars, does take some effort to turn. Power steering might be something to look at next.

Finally got the flares in today. They measured at the top 5.5" wide in rear, and oddly 5.75" wide in front. The front flares have a cutout for the marker light, so I know I was looking at the front flares. The rear flares has a grove to follow the body line at the kickpanel.

http://i.imgur.com/nWsMbBT.jpg

Custom wheel adapters being made here in town to go from 4x114.3 to 5x114.3. They said 1 to 2 days. Had to measure the wheel bore on the new wheels before they could start.

Edited by AZGhost623

I hope that spacing them 2" out doesn't kill the install.  The 14" wide wheels that I have that were on a s30 with 280yz (I think) rear flares and just barely fit.  And they are a touch too wide for my s130 wide body.  Usually it is the finding wheels to fit the widebody that is a pain, I think you may have the opposite problem.  But I hope I'm wrong.