HybridZ

MSD Blaster 2 Coil

MLCurnutte

I have a 1983 280zx n/a that i'm in the process of rebuilding. 

I recently purchaced the MSD Blaster 2 Coil to upgrade my stock coil.  I'm having issues with the car starting, so one step I tried was to replace the ignition coil with the MSD Blaster 2.

My question is:  Is there anything more i would need to do aside from just installing it the same way the stock coil was installed?  IE.  Just hook up the (+) & (-) wires to the (+) & (-) terminals on the coil?

Still having a no start issue,  I think it is a fuel delivery problem.  I know i'm getting spark because i checked at the plugs.  I just want to make sure i didn't need to do any other mod's for the Blaster 2 to run properly with my stock Ignition set up.

Thanks-

MC

It's just a simple hook up for the coil. You have that correct. Only thing that is commonly overlooked is that the msd coil should be mounted vertically as it is oil filled. The instruction sheet recommends it. I think your car has compression, all that's left is fuel. How's the fuel pressure?? Are the injectors firing? Maybe try and squirt a little fuel into the intake and see if it gives a little burp as it tried to run. Gives you a starting point

It's just a simple hook up for the coil. You have that correct. Only thing that is commonly overlooked is that the msd coil should be mounted vertically as it is oil filled. The instruction sheet recommends it. I think your car has compression, all that's left is fuel. How's the fuel pressure?? Are the injectors firing? Maybe try and squirt a little fuel into the intake and see if it gives a little burp as it tried to run. Gives you a starting point

ok,  Thanks for the input.  I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet.  but i will do that next.  I'm currently in the process of replacing all of the injector Wire connectors, Soldering new "pig tail" connectors, as the old ones were corroded and cracking.  I'll check fuel presser as well

What should the pressure be?  and where would i check it at?  should i just make a "T" fitting at the "feed end" off the fuel filter?  and hook the pressure guage up to that?

Thanks,

MC

You're spinning your wheels down a bunch of dead ends.  Get the FSM, and the Fuel Injection Guidebook, and read a few pages.  EFEC chapter in the FSM, and use the 1980 Guidebook.  It's close enough probably for 1983, I don't think the wring changed much.  Check the FSM wiring to be sure.  Don't assume things, and don't jump to conclusions.  Test parts before replacing them  Your coil was probably fine and you wasted money on the MSD Blaster coil.

You'll need a meter to measure resistance, to do the testing correctly.

http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html