HybridZ

PCV setups

2eighTZ4me

I have seen folks go with just the K&N style breathers on the end of the block and valve covers to vent crankcase gases to atmosphere. I have also seen in the past where folks have made elaborate 'draw through' setups that use either the intake vacuum, or exhaust to actively pull the gases out of the crankcase. I am the former - and wish to be the latter. I would prefer using the exhaust to pull the gases out, as putting it back through the intake leads me to believe it would get dirty fairly quickly in there. 

My buddy was telling me of a kit at Summit Racing for like $40 that has the bung you weld on the downpipe, one way valve, etc. Can't seem to find this on their website. Anyone familiar with this - or even better - if you have devised your own system (with or without catch can) - I'd be all about learning from what you did.

I should mention that my car is a boosted L28 application running a Lonewolf intake and no current provision for PCV.

Cheers!

Edited by 2eighTZ4me

I bought the Mr Gasket kit (there is a Moroso version too) intending to use it, ended up switching to a V8 and finding out that exhaust PCV setups aren't allowed in the racing class my car is in. Actually, I don't think they're allowed in any SCCA class. Did discuss it here like 10 years ago and there was some mention that you might get too much vacuum and cause the seals to fail. I was willing to run that risk to play around with it, but just never got there. I had a guy who was a Z mechanic give me some positively outlandish hp numbers for the mod, which I never believed, but I do think it might be worth a few hp. Would like to know if it works after all this time...

Well, my main point is you don't have to worry much about a dirty intake unless you have significant blowby. Especially without EGR which I would assume you don't have either. I think it's safe to assume you're running an intercooler as well with the numbers listed in your signature. There is a company that makes fittings to go into silicone hose- you just cut a hole out and it has a rubber grommet that goes on the inside to seal it and a large threaded nut on the outside to secure it. Inner threads are 1/2 NPT which is easy to find larger barb fittings for the 5/8 PCV hose. That's what I currently have for the valve cover vent since I'm not using the stock 280zx AFM boot. Of course your dilemma seems to be more about the intake. I'm sure you could weld a bung into your exhaust and run a 1-way valve to allow crank pressure to escape through the exhaust but if you do get some blow by I guess there is a chance for concern of oil getting into your exhaust. Not sure if that would have any negative affect.

For simplicity's sake, I think running into the intake somehow would be easier. I can't imagine it would cause your intake to get noticeably dirty for a long time with fresh rings.

FWIW, I've been using a pair of oil traps like the pic below to remove oil from the pcv system for years, now;

oiltrap.jpg

I plumb my pcv system pretty much like the stock setup was, with one of these inline between the crank breather in the block and intake vacuum with a pcv valve inline, and one between the valve cover breather and the turbine inlet.  Here's a pic of one of them installed - it's the one between the block breather and intake vacuum, to the left of the radiator hose.  This one has the pcv valve installed on the vertical outlet port, the other one just has the -10 fitting as in the first pic:

Engine%2B118.jpg

You do need to provide a drain back to the oil pan for this - you can "Y" into the turbo oil drain if you have one, or provide a separate fitting to the pan.

Edited by TimZ