HybridZ
acfitzzzz

The Ultimate Suspension Setup

I need some advice from those of you who know more than me, and yes that would be about 90% of the brain trust on this site (never ceases to amaze me at how in-depth and detailed the engineering is from "backyard" mechanics on this site, Harvard School of engineering should take notes  B) ).

I am looking to start a new Z project. Hopefully will use a 73 240 as the car to start with. Amongst all of the many systems of the car, I am looking to set up the "ultimate" suspension for this car. I plan to rotisserie the car and to stitch weld the body together. Bad Dog SFC's are definitely on the list as well. I am torn as to what suspension system to use. Arizona Z makes some beautiful products, as do quite a few other suppliers out there. This car will see a few auto cross events, but not the big track. It will be a canyon carver for fun spirited driving, but as I plan on using it for long road trips I want a set up that is either adjustable or can easily be modified to be comfortable on long road trips. I am fortunate in that I am not hampered by a restrictive budget for this project, so I am looking for the best, not the best that I have to squeeze into my wallet.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Adrian

Ultimate suspension is pretty broad concept.  The guy who did the inboard rear rocker suspension on this site could be considered ultimate.  For Auto-X and street driving spending really big money would not gain any substantial benefits.  There is only so much you can do with MacPherson struts anyway.  There is much more speed to be gained by paying attention to the details, better driving, and sticky tires.  And for street driving, a rock hard and loud set up is not very comfortable.  I say go conservative. But if you just want some bling anyway, the Arizona stuff is nice and works.

Tool shed time.

Rule 4

4. There is no Best! No best tires. No best engine. No best shock. No best big chrome foot gas pedal. Every car builder and driver is in a different situation. What's good for one might suck for another. The decision on what is "best" for you and your car is completely up to you. As with any decision time, effort, and research is needed by the decision maker - you! Instead of asking what is "best", do some research, explain your situation in excruciating detail, and describe what alternatives you're considering in your decision. Posting a thread with "What's the best..." in the title it is a sure way to get that post tossed into the Tool Shed.