HybridZ

Power brake booster-again

davek

Hi guys

I started this topic with AGAIN because it has been discussed on this forum and others several times but I have not seen pictures to document the interchangability.

I have a 73 and have had no luck finding a replacement so far. I have not contacted Black Dragon to see if the 8.5" is available. I tend to stay away from them but need too.

3 main boosters for the S30 cars and please correct me if I am wrong.

7" for 70-72 cars

8.5" for 73 to ?? 78

10.5" for ???  76 to ???

There is another 10.5" which to my knowledge only difference is longer studs on the firewall side. Again, correct me if I'm incorrect.

all 3 have the same MC side stud pattern  60 x 85mm

7" firewall side stud pattern is 70 x 80 and the other two are 70 x 100.

Using the 7" booster would require drilling new holes. This does appear to a good option as it seem the holes will interfere with peddle mounting bracket on the inside of firewall. I'm not saying it's no possible.

I read you can use the 10.5" and flip it over. See pictures why this won't work on my 6/73

Measuring from clutch MC to throttle bracket I get 9.25". Measuring the 10.5" booster straight across the mounting studs I get 9.5" in standard mounting position. If I would flip the booster over and measure across the studs I get over 10? Impossible to fit. Please show me picture of how others have made this fit.

Flipping the booster will make for a none aligned fit to the brake peddle arm I would think. Mayb ethis is a non issue.

Is it possible 73 model has clutch MC and throttle plate closer than other years?

Tony said he did it in his 2+2. I need a measurement as I have shown please.

FYI the 7" & 10.5" I purchased from O'reillys. 8.5" is my leaking booster. I asked for 76" booster for the 10.5" and a 71" for the 7"

Please guys show me how it's done.

Merry Christmas.

Dave

ps: I can't find spell check:)

post-40993-0-68735300-1419380600_thumb.jpg

post-40993-0-79376500-1419380868_thumb.jpg

post-40993-0-53982100-1419380900_thumb.jpg

post-40993-0-00414900-1419381638_thumb.jpg

I will check tomorrow at Napa but the web parts function reads similar to all the other local and internet sources(rock auto etc etc).

Searching it seems Cardone in the only remanufacturer of all vacuum brake booster no make what make or model. I'll call them soon after the holidays and see if I can find the reason for not servicing the 8.5" booster. I'd guess too small a market.

Napa--NOT

Cardone doesn't offer a phone number. Only email to their service department. I sent an email.

O'Reilly's sent Cardone a "check availablilty meassage and it came back-Part not available.

I did find a place on Cardone web site that does take units sent to them and return rebuilt as Tony pointed out. However they only work thru a business customers of theirs. O'Reilly's said they will work with me.

I'll  continue with this topic but will be week of Jan 5th before I can send the unit to A1-Cardone.

I still would like to see how others managed to FIT a 10.5" booster in there 240Z.

Tony can you take a picture of your 2+2

"Tony can you take a picture of your 2+2"

I'm in Lucena, Quezon Province, Republic of the Philippines 13 56' 22" N 121 37' 47" E

My 2+2 is in the 951...formerly the 909...formerly the 714... 92572! 33 56' 32"N 117 13' 46" W

I think Google Earth can give you an accurate ruler distance between those two points!

If you can wait until middle to last week of January when I pass through, I'll snappy and post for reference.

What I recall from my swap:

74 260Z 2+2, 12/74 Production Date

Donor Booster was from 1979 S130 Coupe, and I used a 15/16" MC from Autozone on the buildup to replace the original MC on the donor booster.

The booster was turned upside down, and the bolts were cut off to remove the distance of the big die-cast spacer that is in place on the S130's.

It seemed to function well, and everything lined up straight.

Edited by Tony D

My plan is to have O'Reilly's be my medium to A1-Cardone next week.

I have not tried MSA.

Tony, a picture with a measuring devise in the photo for reference as I have shown would be appreciated for myself & others to see. Obviously there are differences between the 2 models.

Ps: I don't head back to Shanghai area until Feb. I know from other posts you live in the Philippines. I did 135 days in China/Korea in 2014. Much less time in Asia this year I expect.

Dave

I try to stay out of China, it's not worth my time and aggravation until management decides to listen and act upon suggestions of field personnel. Multiple field personnel.

Technically, I'm based in LA. My company doesn't do shit for me living here in Philippines now. I just figures by saving the $26,000 in airline flights every year (153,000+ commuting miles) that something could be worked out... Instead of that, the MBAs decide to "leverage" my investment in a houseful of furniture and vehicles to "save" more money availing of the flight savings anyway since their bet is I won't pull a George Costanza and start maliciously flying back to LA for a day to get on another flight.

Hey, my 500 hours a year on a plane flying over the Pacific can be spent productively....or flying. Their choice, right?

New Year, new attitude. It's the year of the Sheep. "Baa Baa Motherf-ers!"

Edited by Tony D

When I was searching for a 78 280Z booster for my 240Z I discovered that there was a company in my hometown that rebuilds boosters and master cylinders for a variety of companies. I bought a booster from a local Nissan only wrecking yard and had the booster repair company rebuild it for $125.

Check your surrounding communities for companies that rebuild boosters.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in to O'Rielly's to send my unit off to A1-Cardone today. They highly recommend not sending it. Said Cardone looses more than they ever return. Manager said he would not send his own parts to Cardone.

Searching the old web I found and talked to a rebuilder in Portland Or. I felt comfortable with him and will send him my core for rebuilding. $149 plus $21 return shipping. 4-5 day turn around. Power Brake Booster Exchange.

I'll post again with pictures and review when it returns.

• 3 weeks later...

Received my booster back today UPS.. Looks nice, fresh black paint, new rubber bellow grommet.

Won't know for months how it performs but I say I'm satisfied now. I would attach a picture but I don't see the icon for it. Anyway it's shiny black and looks new.

I did get a call back from Long Motor(VB(Black Dragon) They cannot measure a unit to see if it's 8 1/2" and they are out of stock with no restocking date. They know absolutely nothing about what they sell but tried to be helpful. I used them- VB --on an MG project in the past and had the same results. You probably knew this.

• 1 year later...

What is the name of the company in Sacramento that rebuilds the boosters?

Thanks, GI

As of 9/21/2011

Air Brake Repair Service Inc.

dba Power Brake Sales

1517 McCormick St.

Sacramento, Ca 95811

800-624-8185

916-446-7829

www.powerbrakes.com

They had all of the parts to rebuild the booster in stock. Took less than a week.

Cost to rebuild 280Z booster: $120.63  

I bought the 1977 280Z booster at a wrecking yard for $50.00. 

Nisson Only wreckers

3561 Recycle Road

Rancho Cordova, Ca 95742

916-631-8333

As I recall I used the 1977 280Z booster because  the push rod matched the brake pedal clevis of the  240Z better than other year 280Z boosters. The treads of the 280Z booster push rod matched the 240Z brake pedal clevis.  There is a thread in the brake section on this subject.

Edited by Miles