HybridZ

New to forum, need experienced advice Please

Project1

When ADHD meets darkness. I think a plane was circling waiting for permission to land. :-)

I went through and cleaned/replaced all the grounds. I replaced a good bit of wires. I really can't wait to put in a MS. It probably would have been easier to just rip everything out and put the MS in.

I have just been looking at the efi bible and reading stuff online trying to figure out the vacume, efi and fuel system.

I pulled the fast idle and I think I'm going to take out the cold start. I was also thinking about pulling the air regulator.

I have a pallnet fuel rail on the way just for the stock injectors. I will switch injectors down the road but I'm going to run this for now. I think I am going to rewire the injectors into one new wire harness as well, but all that stuff will probably get pulled out when the MS goes in.

I'm still reading and don't fully understand the whole system yet. Any advice or good reading material is super appreciated.

The vacuum switch valve was a riped out wire and was never hooked up, still trying to understand that?

Well, making small progress things are just moving slow.

Edited by Project1

When ADHD meets darkness. I think a plane was circling waiting for permission to land. :-)

I went through and cleaned/replaced all the grounds. I replaced a good bit of wires. I really can't wait to put in a MS. It probably would have been easier to just rip everything out and put the MS in.

I have just been looking at the efi bible and reading stuff online trying to figure out the vacume, efi and fuel system.

I pulled the fast idle and I think I'm going to take out the cold start. I was also thinking about pulling the air regulator.

I have a planet fuel rail on the way just for the stock injectors. I will switch injectors down the road but I'm going to run this for now. I think I am going to rewire the injectors into one new wire harness as well, but all that stuff will probably get pulled out when the MS goes in.

I'm still reading and don't fully understand the whole system yet. Any advice or good reading material is super appreciated.

The vacuum switch valve was a riped out wire and was never hooked up, still trying to understand that?

Well, making small progress things are just moving slow.

Left out the adhd light :-)

Oh, the anti stall dash pot was not ever hooked up either.... Humm..idk

post-46633-0-58682800-1426558989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Project1

Getting closer.

Still reading about using the 83 distributor on the 75, I also have the msd.

Pallnet fuel rail in the mail, as well as a new radiator, and new pig tails for the stock injectors.

I still need to make sure I have the vac system set up right so the ac and heat work, still trying to understand how everything works.

post-46633-0-17971200-1427069302_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was out of town for a bit for some races, had a super good time.

Made a bit more progress, sorry for the night pics.

It's pretty close. I would say less than 12 hours of work before I give the key a turn and see what happens.

All that's left is the vacume system, plug wires, fuel lines, electric fans and a few switches.

post-46633-0-96736600-1432439734_thumb.jpg

post-46633-0-63861800-1432439764_thumb.jpg

post-46633-0-23225300-1432439784_thumb.jpg

Finished the motor today!!! The pic is from the start of the day not the end, but it's done.

All that's left is the switch panel in the interior and turn the key. So tomorrow ... We'll see what happens.

Well, it's not getting power to the starter? Idk .. Has fuel pressure. Msd seems in order. I think is the pos alarm system that was on the car. Not sure, but I'll keep on it...merrr

post-46633-0-06945800-1433656118_thumb.jpg

post-46633-0-72744000-1434172076_thumb.jpg

post-46633-0-44052400-1434173373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Project1

Well, turns out it was the starter. Replaced the starter and got a crank! ... .. But no spark ...merr. Long story short now I have a good spark. I also am getting fuel, but I'm still not starting .... I'll keep reading but any suggestions are welcomed :-)

Well, as evidence by I am the only person who has posted on this page I'm probably just talking to myself..., which is fine. I think the rule is its ok to talk to yourself, or subvocalize, as long as you don't respond to yourself. Yes that's right :-) .. Wait .. Merr ... Never mind.

Anyways, I figured out the problem and the motor cracked up today. It actually surprised me, it started right up and sounded awesome! :-)

I had a crack in the thermostat housing and it was spraying coolant. I changed that and did some other stuff but didn't crank it again. A few more things left. Hopefully soon I can let it run for a bit and take it for a ride.

If all goes well, I'll dive it for a bit and then get the MS set up and ditch the stock efi.

So that was the problem I was having, the stock efi wasn't getting the pulse to fire the fuel injectors.

It was kinda a tricky issue because the stock set up has the blue wire from the coil pulse the efi to fire the injectors with a single 12v pulse. However the 400v msd puts off multiple pulses to fire the coil and doesn't work with the stock efi. I knew the voltage was an issue so I never hooked up the blue wire to the coil thinking it only was a tach wire, I didn't realize it also went to the ecu.

So what I ended up doing was running a wire from the msd tach hookup to the tach and the ecu and it cranked right up without a single hesitation. So I guess I'll have to see if under load the signal stays strong enough to run the tach and the ecu, if not adding a tach adapter should boost up the signal and get it firing.

Edited by Project1

Merr .. So you thought I was crazy when I said I should put the fire department on stand by ....

Anyways, tach is not working. I probably just need a tach adapter, the 8920 I think.

I'm getting s bunch of smoke from the exhaust. The timing seems good, but maybe it's getting too much fuel and it's incomplete combustion. Or maybe it's just stuff burning off but more likely too much fuel. It seems to be running awesome thought other than looking like its on fire.

The smoke does increase rapidly as I rev it up. Idk ... Merr ...

post-46633-0-33519900-1434210299_thumb.jpg

Edited by Project1

Well, as evidence by I am the only person who has posted on this page I'm probably just talking to myself..., which is fine.

Looks like you are making progress, keep at it.

I think the topic title is limiting your views. Perhaps starting a dedicated build thread would be a better starting point for cataloging your progress and soliciting dialog?

Looks like you are making progress, keep at it.

I think the topic title is limiting your views. Perhaps starting a dedicated build thread would be a better starting point for cataloging your progress and soliciting dialog?

Thanks man :-)

Yea that's probably true. I just thought I would see this tread through with the motor swap. I have been posting too for other people down the road. I have spent a lot of time trying to understand stuff I just couldn't find a clear or definitive answer to from reading online. So if someone else had the same issues maybe this tread would clarify some stuff for them, like useing an 83 dizzy w/75 computer and running it off an msd. But maybe I'll start a build thread, I do like reading other people's builds a lot and I'm looking forward to working on this Z a bunch and making this my DD.

Finally,, this thing is running !!!!

Went for a test drive ... But the clutch wouldn't engage ... Mer...

So I read about the new clutch I got with the motor and from what I read the baring was the same for both clutches. I used my old barring and the new clutch. After bleeding this thing abut 100 times and full clutch adjustment with no signes of improvement, I'm guessing it has to be the barring.... .... c@$& sucker mother f&@$(? ....I guess I'll have to pull this d@$? Thing back out and swap the clutch. I gave my factory clutch to a friend too. ...

Edit a day later:

Got rid of most of the fuseable links today, put the ac on a relay switch so I can control it manually, and jacked this thing up.

Putting the 5 speed in and have a new clutch in the mail. It already has a zx master cylinder and slave. So since I have to take this thing out anyways and the motor is running well I figured I'll just swap the 5 speed in with a new clutch now. I ended up going with a exedy stage 2 clutch because I read good things, it's a very strong and streetable clutch, and the price was right. I think my current problem is I used a barring for a 225mm clutch and used a 240mm clutch, which I didn't think was the case at the time, but it's the most likely problem.

Edited by Project1

• 2 weeks later...

Did some transmission swapping. Put in the 5 speed but it needs a rebuild. The 4 speed I have was just rebuilt so I decided to run that. Got a new exedy clutch.

Finally did the first drive, went ok. My rear Ebrake is locked shut but the motor did ok. If I can figure out how to post a video I'll post one of the motor running, it sounds really good. And it sure feels a ton different than the last motor. It reves through the midrange really nice.

:-) :-) added gps tracking today. Totally worth it. There's an app for that :-). Just click on the app and see where your car is at. So you can tell the police where to find the bodies ... I mean the car .. The body of the car of corpse ..I mean of course.

Edited by Project1