HybridZ

Soldering tool help

HybridHydra

I am going to be picking up a soldering iron soon, (I already know how to solder) but what is the difference between lead and lead free? Is there an advantage to using lead/lead-free? 

If I am going to use lead solder, what is the best kind to use? (60-40, etc)

How should I keep the soldering tip clean?

What other tools should I pick up to work on my 77 280z?

Edited by HybridHydra

Use a damp sponge to wipe the tip on while its hot and that will clean it. Also cover the tip with solder when you're finished with it to keep it from corroding, oxidizing, etc. Lead is supposed to be more flexible and less likely to crack than non lead, but lead is poisonous so ROHS is against it. I mainly use a butane powered soldering iron for the car, and very thin solder.I have a radioshack one and one from home depot or lowes but prefer the radio shack one.

Lead free is more for applications where you might have water going through it like pipes. Stuff that has RoHS on it is lead free so when we chuck it in the trash can, it doesn't pollute. The problem with it is the joints are rather week and it doesn't like to stick. I dont buy the RoHS stuff if I can help it. With lead based solder, just dont eat, drink, or smoke while soldering and wash your hands after and you will be fine.

With lead based solder, just dont eat, drink, or smoke while soldering and wash your hands after and you will be fine.

Or breathe in the fumes!

Don't breathe the fumes from lead-free either. Getting some cross-ventilation works, or hold your breath if you're in a tight space.

Edited by BLOZ UP