HybridZ

Computer location?

Need some advice folks. I'm working on the stock harness from a 2001 LS1 Camaro and have it pretty much figured out, except for where to put the PCM.  

I have the orginal (add on) AC system that came with my '73 240Z, and want to keep it, but it takes up so much room in the passenger side firewall/footwell space that there is no room for the PCM that I can think of. I have run out of length on the cable to mount it anywhere else but in the engine bay. I will do that, but am worried about the heat. I know it was in the engine bay in the Camaro, but it was tucked up pretty far from the exhaust manifolds.

Where did you mount your computer? Any and all advice and especially pics are appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

I have an LS2 harness and computer, which is smaller than the LS1 version and a bit tidier. I worried a lot about needing to insulate my computer from heat and vibration. But, it has been fine just sheetmetal screwed to the inner fender where the battery used to be (my battery is in the rear hatch (trunk). I think it would be similarly fine on the other side where the windshield squirt system used to be, but it's just more crowded over there.

Socorob

How was the Vintage install process? I know the dash has to come out, which I was not going to do unless I had to, but Vintage is an option I have looked at.

Are you happy with the system? 

Thanks

Bill

I guess I'm more worried about the location "looking clean".  It is probably a stupid thing to be obsessing about, but for whatever reason, this is my obsessive/compulsive issue of the day. 

I'll move on to making a mountain out of another mole hill as soon as I figure this one out............. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Phantom

That is exactly where I would like to put mine, but I have the original (dealer add on) AC system and it takes up almost the entire wall on the footwell area. I really want AC for the So Cal summers, so I either have to find another location or rip everything out and go Vintage Air. 

I'm still arguing with myself over which way to go..........

• 3 weeks later...

When I had a factory PCM, it was behind the glove box. 

When I did my Holley system I modified the harness length to go under the passenger's seat.  

If you're looking for a clean location, under the seat is pretty easy.  You will have to spend a couple hours soldering though. What's it worth to YOU?