HybridZ

What racing bucket seats fit into a 280z?

HybridHydra

Which of these bucket seats will fit my 77 280z?

Sparco EVO 2/3

Bride VIOS 3

How should I mount the harness, to a roll cage or a harness bar?

Here is the roll cage I was looking at: http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/942601K/10002/-1?parentProductId=753931

I only plan on racing it once in a while at the local drag strip, which doesn't require me to have safety equipment in the Datsun until I am running 11.49 and below. 

This car is a daily driver and I want to switch the miata seats that is currently in it out.

HybridHydra:

Recommend further research concerning a roll cage.  Looked at the Jegs roll cage.  Once installed cannot be removed easily.  It is the minimal type roll cage.  I fabricated my own for a 240Z and made it removable.  Same for the racing seats.  

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z16/50-4161

Anyone use this harness, and could post a photo showing the area where the original seat belt retractor was on the 280? My Miata seats barely hit the retractor and it's keeping my seat from going all the way back. Also they say not to be used with the stock seats. Does it have to go through harness holes?

Well i will tell you guys theres not much info out there on aftermarket racing buckets for our cars ...and the reason being is so few of them will actually fit !!!

Are cars are too small and without HEAVY MODS you are kinda stuck with the seats that have been covered on this site already ...small brides will work small ...cobras ...and small corbeaus .... i have seen small omps in earlier Zs as well but theres not many choices for after market racing buckets.

I went with the bride vios because theres a couple guys on here that have fit them but anything over 22 inches at the ears and your hitting unless you modify heavily.

I have searched and searched and searched and theres not that many choices.

vios 3 sport does fit, it just clears the door trim. but it does sit high.

i found that by the time you add the sliders its just too high for the factory mounting points, elbows do hit the seat and it becomes quite hard to drive

lowering would also clear the door better by the look of it.

i went back to the stock seat until i modify the floor mounts, random pic to show height against passenger seat. any lower is touching floor mounts.

9k6r8h.jpg

hope it helps.

about same height, made my own bracket with spare parts.

redesigning the bracket could go a little lower without chopping the car.

looking at floor mounting points, the further forward the seat goes the higher it rises.

seems easier to make a low profile flat floor mounting points and use the height adjustment of these side mounted seats.

at least the car can then fit anybody with some simple adjustments.

car is 76 260z

If you don't use sliders, reinforced factory mounts work fine for almost any seat. In almost all cases you have to move the seat toward the center of the car to get the shoulder supports away from the door.

If you cut out and replace the factory seat mounts you can add sliders. If you have purchased a FIA rated seat you have to mount it without sliders or use FIA rated sliders if you to retain the FIA safety rating on the seat.

For what it's worth, I used to have a Recaro Pole Position in my 240Z, and it fit perfectly.  It was mounted on recaro rails, onto the stock seat supports.  I only took it out because it was too much of a hassle to use day to day - difficult to get in and out of, and horrendous to swivel in when going through McD's drive-thru :P  

It was great for spirited driving though, very strong side support.  

post-29570-0-69995400-1421614980_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I want to revive this thread since I am looking to buy the EXAS III from Bride as their website recommends this seat for the S30 however I wanted to know if anyone has had luck with the bride Type FO rails. do they position the seat too high?