HybridZ

Picture of back of tach please

Can anyone post a pic of the back of the tach showing which screw to adjust for the 8 cylinder conversion. Please, I just need to see what I am trying to adjust. I cannot get my tach out because of the overlay, so I am working on this from underneath. What a PITA. Thanks for any help.

Can anyone post a pic of the back of the tach showing which screw to adjust for the 8 cylinder conversion. Please, I just need to see what I am trying to adjust. I cannot get my tach out because of the overlay, so I am working on this from underneath. What a PITA. Thanks for any help.

Stick some thin plastic (like Mylar or transparency sheet [office-speak]) between the dash cap (that's what you mean by "overlay", right?) and the dash,with some lubrication, and you might be able to slip the tach out.

You didn't say which year of tach you're working with.

There are drawings in the FSM's of the tach backs.  Body Electrical 1978, for example.

Chapter 10-1 7th edition of the JTR Datsun V8 conversion manual explains, in detail, how to do the required modifications and calibration to make the stock tach work with a V8.  The manual costs around $30.

Well worth the investment.

Pick a screw.  Mark your starting point.  Turn the screw.  If it doesn't do anything, turn it back.  This is getting sad.

The internet says the hole with the screw might have a piece of black tape over it.

Edited by NewZed

Is it too much to ask for a simple answer? I stated that the tach will not come out. I am working from under the dash. Just because I did not buy the HOLY book do not crucify me. I thought this site was about helping each other out.

I have a couple of spare 280Z tachs in the garage.  I can find out which hole has the tape on it.

The problem here is that you ran out of effort in about Post #8.  Crappy spelling, signs that you haven't even downloaded the free FSM's, no sign that you were aware of the Jags that Run book.  No acknowledgment of the help received.  That's the biggy.  Did one of the screw holes you dinked with have a piece of tape over it?  If it did you can save me some time.

Here's another suggestion - take a picture of the back of the tach that you're working on and post it.  Then someone here can point out the screw.

Edited by NewZed

• 5 weeks later...

It's up at the top in between the two light bulbs.  If you look at the pic in Post #4 it is the hole in the metal casing in between the two bulbs with green and white wires.  You can't see the screw, it is a little slot on the printed circuit board inside that hole.  It is going to be touchy to get to it blind.  Good luck.