HybridZ

L28 4bbl EFI build - help/input wanted!

michael wales

Parts are coming together, EFI kit and return system are here. Now all I need is the manifold AZ car is out of new ones until next week hopefully I can find a good used one incase they take longer.

I read a bit about the msd efi. I see it's value, however for the money you could build a ITB/MS set up that would be awesome. I ran a Howell efi that was TBI like the msd and it was ok, but it really wasn't that awesome. It was better than my carb though because I didn't have to tune it, I got better mpg and better power. But honestly it would not be my first choice at all, however I believe you will be successful and your motor should end up running well.

Looking foward to reading your build :-), keep up the solid work

- Luke

I appreciate it Luke, I really liked the clean setup of the MSD with much of the wiring and EFI unit located inside the actual body. After weighing all my options and the inputs of everyone I decided it gave me someting out of the norm while also giving the most flexibility for whatever I want in the future be it boost, nitrous, hell I could even get a small block and bolt it on there. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing on and seeing how it changes the dynamics of my current motor.

I appreciate it Luke, I really liked the clean setup of the MSD with much of the wiring and EFI unit located inside the actual body. After weighing all my options and the inputs of everyone I decided it gave me someting out of the norm while also giving the most flexibility for whatever I want in the future be it boost, nitrous, hell I could even get a small block and bolt it on there. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing on and seeing how it changes the dynamics of my current motor.

It could be used for so many things, it's very basic. My Howell did work well. For sure the msd won't be bad. It's too bad it's kinda a pain to get custom intake manifolds. The msd could be so much better with a better manifold.

• 2 weeks later...

Well another week went by of Arizona Z car telling me to call back next week. They seem to have a large order coming in, but I wont have to wait thanks to another HybridZ member. I have a Bob Sharp Racing intake coming to me next week as well as picking up an Exhaust manifold, down pipe, and turbo from another member for a possible turbo addition to come. Still not sure if ill even attempt to put boost to my current engine (seemingly stock l26 other then bolt ons) or if i will wait until i have my l28 built specifically for this (boost) purpose. Either way good news and thanks to you guys for help with sourcing my parts to move forward!

• 4 weeks later...

the MSD unit is self tuning but is also able to be set to certain parameters for fine tuning such as AFR, etc. it costs around 1900 - 2300 but you can leverage amazon to get a good deal if try. it is one of the few kits that should work at the l6 flow/power levels and is setup to work with msds other products.

I should start the install either tomorrow or Friday. i will be sure to document and post as i go. i think ill do fuel lines first.

will do, I ran into a little snag today, The Auto hobby shop doesn't want me to do the install (minor maintenance only...) and I was really counting on having the lift... If i cant find any where local to do the install ill do it at home, i'm just very limited in space and equipment here in Norfolk. 

• 2 weeks later...

install is coming along nicely should be able to do my first test start today or tomorrow. I haven't tackled the computer controlled ignition timing yet just want to make sure the kit agrees with my L6 first. As far as install goes it has been something I've been able to do in the driveway of my buddies house with common tools save his welder for the 02 bung and having to get the water inlet machined for another sensor (20 bucks) all in all not bad as long as everything goes well today. updates and pictures to follow!

Weather was terrible today but I got to drive the car for the first time. I was overall very pleased. I could tell in different situations it still needs some tuning and that all the kinks weren't worked out but it was smoother at both cruise and idle. I wasn't able to open it up all the way but power feels very similar to my webers in the midrange. Im going to be cleaning the Z up for an upcoming Zcar show in my area and will post more pictures and try to take some more videos.