HybridZ

Swiss two-become-one 240Z Ground up restauration / JDM mods

Looks like you found a real body guy, that's getting harder. While you are getting all the rust repaired you might want to add two of these little channels that take the run off water from the edge of the hatch and dump it off the car instead of that water dumping onto the back sill. If Datsun had put done this there would be a lot less rust in that area.

post-28202-0-79121400-1477003433_thumb.jpgpost-28202-0-18045000-1477003454_thumb.jpg

Oh the car is tipped on its side on a rotisserie in those pics.

Edited by grannyknot

Looks like you found a real body guy, that's getting harder. While you are getting all the rust repaired you might want to add two of these little channels that take the run off water from the edge of the hatch and dump it off the car instead of that water dumping onto the back sill. If Datsun had put done this there would be a lot less rust in that area.

attachicon.gifDSCN0431.jpgattachicon.gifDSCN0433.jpg

Oh the car is tipped on its side on a rotisserie in those pics.

So it's basically an extension of the existing rails? Looks like a smart idea. but not sure yet since the car will probably not be driven in rain anymore after resto and also the paintjob will be much better than original to protect from rust. but I'll think about it - thanks for the input (y)

• 2 weeks later...

While i'm working on a big, new, exciting project (I'll post about it in a few weeks or months i guess) the bodyshop keeps me updated and has some nice progress on the rear end
1) The top of the rear lower hatch Panel have been remodeled out of sheetmetal and looks absolutely stunning. Raw naked steel. I have the NOS top panel which will be added, once everything is completed.
IMG-20161101-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

a closer look at the craftsmanship:
IMG-20161101-WA0005-Kopie.jpg

The lock mount and upper panel mounts have been removed, sandblasted and welded back into position. the red colour is just temporary rust protection primer:
IMG-20161102-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

On the new rear quarter panel the rear corner piece has been removed (for easier installation):
IMG-20161102-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

And been spotwelded into the correct position:
IMG-20161102-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

My bodyshop told me he h as some spare time at the moment and i guess there will be much progress over the next few weeks :)

Recently i was bidding on some bigger parts on yahoo auctions in Japan and thought, while at it, why not order some smaller parts and get them shipped for free in the same package? unfortunately i didn't win the auctions on the bigger parts so i just ended up with the small bits and pieces. which are still good to have :)
1) R180 Differential oil seals
P1180128-Kopie.jpg

2) R180 differentil cover seal
P1180129-Kopie.jpg

3) Fine auto japan Polyurethane shifter bushings:
P1180127-Kopie.jpg

Finally another part of the body which can be called "completed". My panelbeater sent me another update with the rear upper hatch panel welded back and the whole area coated in some protective primer. Without top hatch panel installed:

IMG-20161114-WA0008-Kopie.jpg

Primered inside as well:
IMG-20161114-WA0009-Kopie.jpg

New Top hatch panel welded back. Well done :)
IMG-20161114-WA0012-Kopie.jpg

Lately i really appreciate the updates from the bodyshop. And If things go right i will visit him and my car again on monday. However here are the latest pictures i got :)
What you see here is the inner rear right quarter panel piecte between the trunk floor and the Fender. it contins the hole where the fuel filler hose goes through. As you can see the original pieces was totally rusted and he created a new one from scratch:
IMG-20161123-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

Here it's installed test-wise:
IMG-20161123-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

View from the outside:
IMG-20161123-WA0004-Kopie.jpg

View from the bottom. As usual: Work of art. May look a bit rough now, but once it has some primer on it it will be like it was from factory ;) 
IMG-20161123-WA0005-Kopie.jpg

My Panelbeater asked for some Budget to continue his work, and since it's really going on nicely lately i happily brought hime some of my savings :) While there i had a look at the latest work, of course. You have to make sure you're money is well invested :)
P1180222-Kopie.jpg

After inspecting the recently completed upper end of the rear he showed me a mock-up of the right side rear inner wheel wells and some problem areas.
The tabco pieces really do not fit very well, but he will make them fit. I've seen worse :)
P1180224-Kopie.jpg

And while there he was preparing the door to fit them back to the car for future fitment testing of his work around the right side. You can see the thin line on the door? he noticed that little line (edge) was gone due to some previous repairs and straightened everything and made sure the thin line is back in t he door. Most people wouldn't even notice.
P1180226-Kopie.jpg

And then he closed the holes of the original door mirrors, because i'll go with fender mirrors :)
P1180227-Kopie.jpg

No big update, but today i got a phone call from the local Nissan dealership that my order had arrived, so i went there and picked up my order: All the refurbishment parts which ar still available at Nissan for the 5-speed FS5C71A 5-speed early type factory transmission.
The order contained some oil seals, snap rings, Balls, springs and so on. still need a lot of parts and will order the rest elsewere. this was just the easy part of the whole thing :)
P1180230-Kopie.jpg

Your build is not my style in the sense you are going so JDM.  However the work you are doing and the attention to detail can not be overlooked.  Great job.  I almost don't want to start my build thread because of the rust I will find.

Thanks for the kind words. I  undesrtand that "JDM" ist not everyones style and i have to admit i changed the plan slightly. and guess i won't install any overfenders and so on so it's basically just bolt-on parts which can be reversed back to original parts easy. But we'll see. And yeah, always have to laugh when someone writes "rust-free Z for sale" or something like that. that just doesn't exist. even in sunny california or so. except it has recently undergone an extensive restauration, of course :)

• 1 month later...

Dear readers, sorry for the lack of updates during the last weeks. I was very busy with some other big things, one of them beeing marrying my wife :)
Yesterday i got back to work in the garage. while it's still freezing cold outside i got some stuff done on the transmission. I found a local glass-bead blasting company and i'm preparing the transmission to be blasted soon. So i had to remove all bits and pieces:
Shifter lever Bracket removed:
P1180404-Kopie.jpg

Removed the shifter bushings from the brackets and had all laid-out:
P1180407-Kopie.jpg

Removed the control arm springs and "plugs"
P1180410-Kopie.jpg

Tried to remove this plug, but after trying hard and not beoing able to get it out, decided to leave it there for blasting :)P1180409-Kopie.jpg

Removed the oil filler plugP1180408-Kopie.jpg

And the speedo sensor (still in place here):  P1180405-Kopie.jpg

Still need to figure out how to remove the speedo sensor complete, the plastic vents and then i'm ready to get it blasted :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, a few weeks ago i was browsing the internet for some usable parts for my transmission restauration when i found this ebay seller from Thailand. Usually i'm not a big fan of Cheap Asian stuff. Only real deal Japanese OEM or Aftermarket. However when i found these parts and they seemed to be either Japanese-made or high-quality but for a good price, i thought i'd give it a go. so here's what i got: Transmission / Clutch fork rubber boot. Made by Thailand company Turtlerubber / SPI-Goodrubber:
P1180415-Kopie.jpg

Firewall grommet. Unknown brand, but i assume the same as above:
P1180418-Kopie.jpg

Niles (Japan) Reverse light switch.  Niles is the original Supplier of nissan so i guess it's an Original part:
P1180419-Kopie.jpg

Unknown brand Speedo cable:
P1180420-Kopie.jpg

Unknown brand Side marker (front) lamps:
P1180424-Kopie.jpg

DENSO (japan) Horn's, 66dB:
P1180413-Kopie.jpg

New-Era (Japan, Aftermarket supplier) Voltage regulator:     P1180422-Kopie.jpg

Not sure how all the parts fit and if they will end up in the car, but they were cheap and looked nice so i thought i buy them in a package deal. Looking good so far :) More parts coming soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go :) Got another parts delivery from the land of the rising sun. All needed transmission parts which were still available in Japan:
Seals:
P1180426-Kopie.jpg

Rear hub:
P1180428-Kopie.jpg

Front seal gasket:
P1180429-Kopie.jpg

Then a friend of mine asked me to help him import some Nagisa Auto motor sports Part for his 240Z: Front adjustable tierod end-links:P1180431-Kopie.jpg

And adjustable Doglegs. Really beautiful parts. seems like they changed their annodizing procedure, sinec the parts i have have a different colour. anyhow. Nice pieces. The Colour is more gunmetal in reality. the white-balance on my cam was a bit off...
P1180433-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of t hose lucky days again where i get several deliveries at the same time :)
One was an Ebay buy, A NOS Transmission breather vent:
SAM_0310-Kopie.jpg

The second one was a New Speedo pinion Gear, which was available through Nissan Japan:
SAM_0311-Kopie.jpg

Then, thanks to some tips of nice people in the community, i was able to purchase these Rear quarter panels.
I promised to not tell the source. It's a Last stock and one of the people that gave me the tip wants to buy the rest of the stock and sell it.
SAM_0312-Kopie.jpg

I have the feeling they are better than the tabco ones. with sharper edges.
SAM_0313-Kopie.jpg

When i have time i will make a direct comparison between tabco and these. Big thanks to the people who supported me with buying these. :)
SAM_0314-Kopie.jpg