HybridZ

Cage Variations for the S30/S130 chasis

texis30O

Can we get a location where we can all post up pictures of our cages?  I am currently attempting to build one and am having issues with the design I want.  This would be a good place to keep all variations of the cages that we have in our cars.

Please state wither it is welded, or bolt in. 

Street or Track

Track Certified?

I will start by adding what photos I have saved.

post-2224-0-32869000-1421418032_thumb.jpg

post-2224-0-42294600-1421418178_thumb.jpg

post-2224-0-89066400-1421418468_thumb.jpg

First and foremost, consult the rule book for the sanctioning body you intent to race with. If you don't know that, the download the SCCA GCR or the 253 section of the FIA rule book. If you build a cage to either of these standards you are good to go with just about any sanctioning body - and you'll be safe.

There was a thread years back where bjhines had posted a chassis schematic and people were drawing out various designs. I'd see if you can find it and then start doodling and getting feedback from people here. 

There are some REALLY BAD cages that show up on car forums, and hybrid z is no exception. Just because there are a lot of tubes in a car or the welding is pretty doesn't mean it's a good design. You can stick to the regs and still miss out on great opportunities to improve the car as well. One thing that I hate to see on a Z is the rear stays from the main hoop going all the way to the back of the car and missing the rear strut towers. It is heavier, eliminates the rear crush zone, and doesn't tie into the strut towers which (along with the control arm mounts) are really how the chassis gets loads. If you're going to add all that weight, you might as well get some stiffness out of it. Tubes should intersect in a "node" if possible. Many times you'll see tubes that could hit the same spot on opposite sides of the landing tube instead intersect 4 inches away from each other.  Another pet peeve is tubes that are bent which don't need to be. A bent tube is significantly less stiff than a straight one. Some tubes like the main hoop and the A pillar or halo bars and door bars have to be bent, but in general if you don't need it bent, don't bend it should be the rule of thumb. Also get the cage as close to the body as possible. You want as much space between you and the car that might T-bone you on the track as you can get. Get the door bars out into the gutted doors. Although the door bars bending out makes the chassis less stiff, in that particular case it's also safer. S bends in door bars should be avoided if possible. Some measure of foot protection is a good idea. 

I have a few of the listed errors on my own car. Once you do it wrong, you're not likely to want to fix it.