HybridZ

2jzgte FCD OR BCC

rosaaen89

What both these modules do is trick the ecu. Ok let's say the boost cut is set @ 14 psi so anything you hit 14psi the ecu cuts the fuel and the power is cut. What these modules do is lie to the ecu. It tells the ecu that it's only 13 psi and then you can boost to the moon. But there is a problem. Now all the ecu sees is 13 psi and never adds any fuel or pulls timing to account to the extra boost. Guess what happens? That one time you pull next to your buddy's honda to run him and hit MAD boost and BOOM! Done.

If i didn't have a restrictor ring installed the car when first boosting up it will cut off because it will overboost which will ruin the turbos. But with a restrictor ring installed it seems to only push like 4pounds or so. Many guys on the supra forums said to install a boost cut controller or fuel cut defencer so it will push 14-17 pounds. I don't know if I swap out the JDM turbos for the USDM ones if i will still need a restrictor ring installed or not. So I have been trying to browse around and find info on that as well since I have some USDM turbos laying around.

So would you rather over-speed the turbos or lean out your engine?  I don't know Supras but it sounds like a better solution is to defeat the boost cut in the ECU, and don't mask the boost signal so the ECU can continue to fuel the engine appropriately.

Edited by SleeperZ

Both are old school bandaids. Fuel cut defender stops the car from cutting fuel at a certain boost level and a boost control solenoid allows you to run more boost. You would need both for it to "work," a boost control solenoid will keep the waste gate closed and allow you to build more boost, the fuel cut defender will allow the stock ECU to keep adding fuel instead of cutting out, but as everyone is saying it really isn't the best idea. These are older work arounds when aftermarket ECU and reflashes/programmable things were much more cost prohibitive, an aftermarket ECU even a megasquirt would be able to read the additional boost and add fuel and timing changes to compensate.

If you were adamant on going the old school route, you might as well upsize the injectors, add a bigger throttle body idle circuit and all the other work arounds people used to run.