HybridZ

Gas smell from sender hole.

GeeZ

I removed the gas gauge sender and sent to it Tristarr for repair. I got it back and installed the sender. I now get gas smell when I fill the tank. There was no "O" ring nor a gasket that I can recall for the locking washer. So, does anyone now if there is suppose

be an o ring or gasket? I did not replace any gasket material or foam on the screw down plate.

Also, what is proper clocking position of the sender. I should have marked the position before completely removing it.

I never sniff my sender hole-Im not that flexible. Nor that curious.

Yes, there should be an o-ring. The sender has a tooth on it that forces you to clock it in the right direction. DON'T clean the o-ring with carb cleaner-the cleaner will ruin it.

Edited by RebekahsZ

texis300-from the way your build is progressing, your sender hole must smell like $money$!

I think I bought my last 0-ring from a vendor on ebay.  Try searching on ebay for something like "Datsun Z fuel sender o-ring," or something similar. It is the same size 0-ring for all S30 models: 240z, 260z, 280z.

• 5 weeks later...

OK - I have the o-ring for the 280Z sending unit.  It is still in the original plastic bag with Part# 17342-18000 that i got from Don Davis Nissan about 15 years ago.  It appears to be in great shape - no cracking and still fexable.

Since it may be the only one left in existence bids will start at $1,000.   :rolleyes:

post-263-0-55503200-1425157291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phantom
  • Like 1