HybridZ

rb fuel sytem options

bestlowrida

Hey everybody. I have picked up a rb20det engine for my 71 240z which currently has the stock l24. I've been researching and planning the swap for years but still unsure about the fuel system for my carb conversion to efi. I know I have to upgrade the lines with 3/8 size return/feed lines and add an inline walbro fuel pump. I understand that i have the following options correct me if I'm wrong:

!. Modify stock 240z fuel tank with a sump.

2. Replace stock tank with a 280z tank.

3. Keep stock tank but add a surge tank in the system.

Which is what you guys are currently running in your setups or recommend? This car will be a weekend street car with a hp goal of 300.

PS. Will I need to modify my driveshaft? I been searching and searching for a while but still unsure thank you in advance!

Cheapest is to keep stock tank and run a surge tank, neatest is a custom tank with in tank pump or a fuel cell. Depends what you are after. Look at some of the build on here to help you decide what you want, lots of different way to go can be seen on each build. Lots of research but I easily put in many hundreds of hours of research on my build. From what I understand 300hp is about the limit for U-joint shafts so you will probably be ok without upgrading to CV's.

I agree with Ian. With a surge tank you shouldn't need a larger return. Use a HVLP pump from the tank to the cell and Your Walbro from the surge tank to the fuel rail. Route the return from the rail to the surge tank and another return from the surge tank to the old return line on your chassis.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know the dimensions of your tank but Aeromotive's Phantom kit dropped right into my 78 tank, only need to slightly modify the trunk and i'm good to go.

Not sure if this link is any good but my photobucket doesn't seem to want to cooperate right now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154746477740621&l=12ff477682

I don't know the dimensions of your tank but Aeromotive's Phantom kit dropped right into my 78 tank, only need to slightly modify the trunk and i'm good to go.

Not sure if this link is any good but my photobucket doesn't seem to want to cooperate right now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154746477740621&l=12ff477682

After going through all the trouble of welding into a stock tank, I can easily say I wish I had gone a similar route to this one listed.

I welded in a baffling system, had to replace the return to drain into the same baffles, and then also had to deal with all the fiddly pre-pump filter, clamps, mounting fuel pump, etc etc. Having a tried and true simple drop in would have saved some headaches.

I've even read threads (maybe not on here) of users just buying a junkyard tank/pump assembly from a nice modern car and bolting it in the same way as above. 

Good luck either way.