HybridZ

Repairing crack under leaded joint?

heavy85

I've had crack in each lower corner of the windshield for years but it 'seemed' to just be the lead and small so never really worried about it. Have windshield out from building the cage and noticed now two cracks in each corner and the newer ones seem to be growing fast. So decided to excavate and found this.

image_zpsh42xds07.jpg

Suck. The lead is really deep there which surprised me but now how does one safely and completely remove the lead so the cracks can be weld repaired?

Cameron

Edited by heavy85

I seem to remember removing it with propane torch and wire brush. Might have been MAPP. Been a while. Used to autox with a guy who snapped the A pillar right off at the cowl there. He reinforced, welded it back on and reinstalled the windshield and never had anymore problems.

Edited by JMortensen

FYI... that crack probably existed before you put the full roll cage in the car.  I don't think it will continue to propagate now that you have the cage. As Jon said, a torch that gets to 800F and a wire brush.  Wear a breather and eye protection.

Lead fumes are hazardous to your health and well-being. Use a suitable respirator (1/2 or full-face) with the right type of cartridge (particulate matter, fumes and lead). If possible do this in a well ventilated area and I'd cover the surrounding area. Don't let small children anywhere near your workspace during and after until you cleaned up the dust.

It was easy to melt out with small propane torch and wire brush. Found two potential root causes. The crack to the left is because of poor panel fit-up - there was from factory ~1/8" gap between the two panels. The crack to the right seemed to be tied to the rust hole. That rust hole was completely hidden by lead so on the surface there was no visible rust.

image_zpsxbwplhp3.jpg

Welded up

image_zpsjvdbm8jx.jpg

Kitty hair filler

image_zpsrsqf54e7.jpg

Now just need to sand/bondo/paint then get back to preciously scheduled programming.

The left side crack is very small in comparison so I think Ill just leave it alone.

Funny how times change, when I was a very little boy in the late '70's I can remember playing around with bars of lead solder that my Dad used on cars. He leaded a LOT of cars and I remember him telling me that it was most dangerous when it was sanded. Using a body file was relatively safe and if you applied it right you didn't have any real fumes. The fumes come from overheating it and it starting to vaporize. He would tell me stories of when he was a child many toys were made of lead. (he was 63 when I was born :D )  The real danger from lead is ingesting it and it's accumulative effect. 

Hope your whole cage is not welded like that dimpled panel is. Yikes.

Wierd the picture does make it look kinda sketchy but it is not. Welding 18 gauge to 0.095 is a challenge. Ended up turning up the heat then lots of little short welds just for the gussets. Having done this before then cutting it up later I have no concerns.