HybridZ

Dash lights, tail lights, reverse lights are out.

Dannyweaver95

Even though the headlights do work?

Look at a schematic, other circuits run through the headlight switch as well.

Note from the schematic that the headlight switch also switches on other circuits such as the tail lights, dash lights, running lights, parking lights etc.

The contacts for those circuits can be dirty or distorted such that no contact is made.  Those contacts can be repaired.

Over the years I learned that whenever the lights mentioned in this thread were out I found the headlight switch to be bad.  So I keep a set of working  turn signal and headlight switches around to use when diagnosing light problems. It takes but a few minutes to swap in a known working headlight switch. If it works you are done.  If it doesn't work then you have just eliminated a variable in diagnosing the light problem and can move on to the next step.

Or you can use a schematic and volt meter to check each contact on the switch.

• 2 months later...

I have a somewhat similar problem on my '81.

When I turn on the headlights, the dash and rear lights will take a few seconds to come on.  Maybe 5-10 seconds, but they still come on.  I know there is an issue, just haven't had time to look into it.    

Can you explain what you mean by headlight switch?  Are you talking about the turning knob on the stalk itself or is it something else? Should I try and get a stalk from another car?

I've had this happen several times.  All the power for the head lights goes through the combination switch (headlight switch).  As soon as you start getting any resistance in the switch, it starts to heat up.  I had one actually get pretty crispy.  I'm surprised I never smelled the thing starting to melt.  Replace the switch, keep it nice and corrosion free, and look into using relays for your headlights.

Edited by award280