HybridZ

Midnight Madness 560z...

So I've been laid up with some back problems the past couple of weeks meaning that garage time has been effectively ZERO!! :twisted::fmad:

I have however had time to browse the internet and actually comply a little more comprehensive listing of what I want and need to do to the chassis, so here we go.

Plans for the car are:
- 450-500HP range NA (working on ITBs while waiting for crankshaft)
- Aftermarket ECU or JWT tuned early Q45 Ecu (~$100+programing-$$$)
- Crankpins turned and widened to accept LS rods (being turned now) (~$350) Torque Machine
- Forged 6.100" rods with a .927" PE (stock is 6.083) (~$400-500)
- LS forged pistons with appropriate valve reliefs if necessary, waiting on a few mfg to return quotes and availability RaceTech Pisons (????)
- JWT valve spring upgrade (~$320) and possibly JWT S7/S2 or JWT ITB cam swap (~$12-1300)
- Possible future upgrade to a TVS2300 or M122 supercharger (~$500-900)
- Full cage and seam weld chassis (????)
- Differential and rear drive train swap, R200 upgrade minimum, possible R230 from Q45 or full S13/14/J30 subframe swap (~$500-800)

- LED Headlights and covers (free lights :))
- Either Ariata Speed Works FG fender flares or similar full metal flares similar to this setup
80-larry_chen_speedhunters_260z_blue_26_
- Front Air Dam and possible splitter similar to this one (not a huge fan of the ricer wing though)
80-riley_z_overhead__44c2b568a9fae6e38ec
- Rear spoiler (undecided on style at this point)
- Nismo Comp style hood vent, still working on exact design concept, thinking of using steel to slightly widen and then raise the existing hood contours with some vents cut like the competition hood vent and then boxing in/sealing the ITBs to the opening for cold air intake
- Hood vents (same style as 260 pictured above)
- Z32 5spd, z33 cd009, or T56 Transmission depending on pricing for matching adapter, clutch and flywheel. (~$1500-2000?)
- Wider rims and tires to hook up good

Should be a fun little street/strip car to work on with my 3 boys and beat up on some of the local rustangs and vetts.

Edited by 1969honda

• 3 weeks later...

Due to some unforseen and unavoidable complications my crank is still at the machine shop and will hopefully be here in couple of days. I managed to stop by a local pick n pull the other day and was quotede $125 for the complete rear suspension from either a q45 or a j30, there are currently (3) Q45s and 1 J30 in their hard.

I also scored this r200 4.08:1 diff for under $30 this past week.

IMG_20150505_172106794_zps6nt2knwi.jpg

*Fixed links

Edited by 1969honda

• 3 weeks later...

So talked with Ryan today and the crank is almost finished with relocating the oil passages and then it should be on its way hopefully today or tomorrow :2thumbs:  I also just sent off one of the original hypereutectic VK56DE pistons to Randy at RaceTec Pistons for a quote on a custom forged set to work with the 6.100" Scat H beam rods (66100927A) that I am planning to run so things are moving along.  Now I need to order up  3 more throttle bodies and get the ITB mounting and linkages figured out.  

I've also been talking with a few people about dimensions for the 06-09 Cadillac STS-V M122, the CTS-V TVS1900/2300 and a friend about the standard GT500 M112/M122 blowers to see what is possible that way, just need to order gaskets to figure out port spacing etc.... :rockon:  Should make for an interesting summer and serious Solidworks time with the ITB linkages, charger adapter, etc....

Edited by 1969honda

Yeah, I don't think I'll need the R230, if it gets to that point I'll pony up for Will's 8.8 kit when the time comes and skip all of the adapters and so on. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by 1969honda

Running a q45 diff in my 240z now. Dyno at 600/600 tq. I was running 3.78 LSD long nose 300zx diff. Held the power just fine.. Ran the heck out of it at Sebring and Daytona. But wanted a 3.54 ratio.. R230 is slightly larger than the ford 9"... Don't need one of those unless your putting down serious power. Your z will be super fun with that kind of power

Edited by redleg

The advantage of the Ford 8.8 is that it has a very good, and affordable gear selection, and it is also a lot lighter than an R230. I believe it's actually just a few pounds heavier than an R180. Personally I'd go for the Ford diff over any of the Nissan diffs.

I didn't know it was that light, maybe I'll have to look into Will's setup a little more when I get to that point. I've been going the direction of throwing an s13/j30 subframe in due to how readily available and cheap they are; but if there is a weight savings and power threshold increase I will have to save my pennies and do some additional research.

Edited by 1969honda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well still no real progress on the body or engine, did fix some picture links that got messed up though from the first page.  I've also started to think about just rebuilding the engine with stock internals and getting it running and together before I commit any further to a forged rotating assembly and the ITB or supercharger.

There's been some interesting ideas brought by VK Nation on facebook using the 06+ fx45 front exit intake manifold that looks really interesting and close enough to stock to use without major changes to the fuel system or anything else.  It's got a designed in dual intake runner profile using a vacuum actuated set of butterflies that opens at higher rpms but closes at low rpms changing the intake tract from long on the low side and short on the higher end.  It's pretty interesting, and I can get a manifold for under 300 with the injectors, actuator and other necessary bolt on bits.

• 1 month later...

Well I got some good news yesterday on the crankshaft and then this showed up in my e-mail today, should be shipping out with bearings as I write this!

Crankshaft_Polishing_zpsqrsi9mlc.jpg

Very excited to get this piece so that I can double check some measurements and make a final decision on rods (most likely Molnar Tech. LS Turbos, possibly Callies) and then decide on the final piston bore.  Need to contact Ray Shake from MA Motorsports and pick his brain on some different parts and the pistons I'm looking at....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've e-mailed Nick at 5523 Motorsports a few times discussing my options on pistons and rods over the past month or so, also spent time double checking my crank journal diameters for peace of mind.  The rod journals are perfect at 2.0999-2.1000 on every journal, the mains appear to be 2.5165 which seems off, need to get a more accurate micrometer/caliper to check these as Nissan is spec'd at .001mm or .0001 in and my current tools only go down to .01mm or .0005in.  

On a good note though I spent a considerable amount of time measuring one bank of the engine (RH side, even cylinders) as I couldn't find my paper with previous measurements and along the depth of the bore my biggest variance is .03mm on two of the cylinders, one of which is the #4 hole that had the spun bearing, no surprises there.  As far as out of round my biggest difference has been .02mm for 98.02 to 98.04 so I think at this point it is getting pretty safe to say that somem standard bore forged pistons should work nicely.  Coincidentally ImportPerformanceParts.net is showing and overstock sale on Wiseco VK56DE standard bore 10:1 pistons right now....

Just have to decide if having a custom piston made is worth the cost or pay for some BCrower forged rods at about the same price as what pistons to fit off the shelf Chevy LS rod lengths will cost.  I'm either about $750 for the wiseco pistons and another 850 for forged BC rods, or I've had a quote for about $800 for custom pistons to suit the CH of using a longer LS off the shelf rod at $400-600 a set depending on rod bolts and length.  Leaning more towards the custom pistons and a Molnar Technologies 6.125 or 6.200 rod for a little higher rod to stroke ratio at the moment. Guess the wallet and time will only tell.

/bore%20measurements_zpshmbv5wbu.jpg

I haven't checked JE yet, Racetec was about the same as Wiseco, CP was $1650.

Car is currently it side under a tarp, but the engine is in the garage. Did some research and cylinder liners are only 2.6mm thick, so I'm going to try to stay standard 98mm. Very tempted to pick up an m122 as they are around $300 now that TVS are becoming more available. There was a stage 2 ported unit on KSL last week for $250....

Whenever you want to come by just let me know, I don't work Fridays and am usually home every night after about 5