HybridZ

Engine isn't starting with the key .. Need some insight

I just got my 78 a few weeks ago ... Slung a good battery in it and turn the key and it just clicked ... I don't hear the fuel pump coming on at all ... If you jump the solenoid it turns over strong but won't start ... Fuse able links look good as well ...what's some things to check ... 78 280z L28 and standard

Edited by ScotyeG

The Engine Fuel chapter of the FSM will explain why you don't hear the fuel pump.  And a whole bunch of other stuff too.  "Looking" at electrical stuff is not a good way to determine quality.

...clue...battery cable connections...multimeter...Engine Electrical...

I've checked and rechecked the grounds and the hot connections ... When I first put the battery in it turned over with the key once ... Hasn't since. .. I didn't mean things to actually "look at" ... With a multimeter how can I test the ignition switch and the relay .. And if those check out what do I need to move into .. It isn't getting fire or gas ..

I've checked and rechecked the grounds and the hot connections ... When I first put the battery in it turned over with the key once ... Hasn't since. .. I didn't mean things to actually "look at" ... With a multimeter how can I test the ignition switch and the relay .. And if those check out what do I need to move into .. It isn't getting fire or gas ..

This is why the FSM is useful.  There's a troubleshooting chart in most of the chapters.  One of your basic problems here though is that you're not giving any specific information.  "Checked" means different things to different people.  You might just be wiggling a wire.  At least check, by measuring, voltage at the coil with the key on.  Find the important relays and listen for action when you turn the key on.  Stuff like that.

One click then nothing is typical of dirty battery cable connections.  And you can jump the solenoid with the key off, so that fact alone doesn't tell much.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/