HybridZ

LS1 240 mounts (facts not opinion???)

Let him learn! I just looked at my build thread: it was 3 months from my first post till I yanked my L24 and got started. I think it was 2 winters before it got done. Everybody thought my initial questions were stupid till somebody adopted me and tucked me under his wing (m1noel). Lots of others just wanted to tell me how stupid I was. Internet "friends!" Try to find somebody who will drop his fork at supper to run out to his car and get you a measurement-that's the guy to talk to.

^^^My comment is not to offend, I take that it is a long journey to do a proper conversion, but how many times we see topics like this that end empty. I was very fortunate to find my Z, yes I did not built it but I do the upkeep since my wrenching knowhow is limited. I do admire the builders on the site but feel less incline to empty converses.

Thanks for the encouragement..... I have started tearing down the Z and will have it prepped out complete with a repaint of the engine bay. Bought a 98 ls1 t56 z28 complete that I will campaign for the autoX season until the z bay is ready for parts and swap. Lots of education prior to the swap........ I used up a lot of cash buying the z28 so I'm selling off z parts along the way to fund a swap kit. While I'm selling and saving I'm researching and deciding which kit to ultimately use. I have a crime scene style white board set up to plan my attack. By the way. The steering wheel you sold me looks great.

the " murder board" is a good idea. Need to have a full plan in place before you start buying parts. I've seen too many projects go south because all the steps weren't thought through and then the project died because of too much rework required.

When I get enough done to make it interesting I plan a complete build log / thread. The original intent of this thread was to dissect the current kits on the market and attempt to "know" what works with what...... Not just information for my sake but for the hybrid community. I'm still undecided as there are pros and cons to each kit..... My decision changes daily. My first love is racing not building and fabricating so I'm trying to keep at least one of the cars used (Z28 & Z) intact to minimize lost time racing. I can pull the motor and trans for the Z28 and part out the rest for quicker and increased cas flow but then the project will stall until the season is over for the swap. I would rather take my time and get the Z done/prepped right as the Z is my first passion and will remain in the stable for years to come. The plan is a very track ready streetable car that goes like hell and eventually looks even better. When all is said and done my primary hope for this thread is to become a sticky of one stop information on all of the LS1 Z kits to date.

Thanks again gentlemen for your insight, participation, and patience in the process.

Jim (Trackzpeed), 1972 240Z LS1 T 56

Continuing to research available mounts and info...... Dingo and cxr mounts will require a high mount alternator. This is appears to be a good and inexpensive option that I scrounged up.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189080

Apparently I was wrong. The dingo mounts will require a high mount alternator however a hybrid member (crapforum) has discovered in his cx build that the low mount alternator will have room to clear.....

Here's a couple pics of the dirty dingo low mount utilizing hawk's mounts. And yes, the high rise intake won't fit to good without slamming the hood a few times. I don't know why my photos are sideways.

Do the hawk mounts sit a lot higher than the JCI mounts? I feel like that intake Is taller than I remember on the Z chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

As the research continues.... The impressive part about the JCI kit is the additional strength of the motor mounts as they tie into the frame rails via support plates...... I need to get in gear and post up my Z stuff for sale to generate some cash and start walking this talk. Given how hard I drive my stuff the JCI kit looks best for personal application as of now. Durability feedback from other kit users would be great for this "LS to Z mount info thread" as the JCI is pretty well documented. Thanks hybrid.

Here are some pics using dirty dingo street rod mounts. Let's you drop the steering rack and k-member without having to do anything with the motor as well.  Using a low mount alternator.

download_20140524_215719_zps49adff92.jpe

Clearance with steering shaft:

IMG_20140503_121623_zpsc7be0e17.jpg

How it sits:

IMG_20150113_005156_zps3u02drti.jpg

IMG_20150113_005140_zpsgqre0pyv.jpg

Edited by Randomcow

Here are some pics using dirty dingo street rod mounts. Let's you drop the steering rack and k-member without having to do anything with the motor as well.  Using a low mount alternator.

download_20140524_215719_zps49adff92.jpe

Clearance with steering shaft:

IMG_20140503_121623_zpsc7be0e17.jpg

How it sits:

IMG_20150113_005156_zps3u02drti.jpg

IMG_20150113_005140_zpsgqre0pyv.jpg

Nice, thanks for the input. What tranny are you using and with what mount?