HybridZ

LS1 240 mounts (facts not opinion???)

Randomcow-glad to know Im not the only guy doing Z work at "0-dark-thirty!" Your car looks GREAT. LOVE that trans mount. Have you put many miles on the swap?

Ha! Sometimes sleep just doesn't happen.  I am about 15k miles into this swap, no structural issues so far.  Only items that are giving me problems so far are the cheapo radiator I got and some electrical demons.  Next step is the read end for sure.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, 

I've been waiting a bit to post on here but thought I would give a quick update since I am close to making the first batch of test kits. I have been working (slowly) on this for the past 6 months.  The test car is a friend /customer of mine, it is a 1972 240z and we are using a LS2/T56 combination from the GTO.  A little quick background on myself,  I am a mechanical engineer with design experience in professional motorsports and now work in the automotive turbo industry.  I have always loved Datsuns and make parts as a hobby through my side business Hoke Performance which I recently started, Its mainly for fun and I have limited time but I hope to provide a few nice solutions for those with similar interests. I started by laser scanning the engine and the crossmember, all design was completed in CAD and then I used 3D printed parts for test fitment before metal was cut.  I did the final engine bolt up last week and it went very smoothly without a hitch.  

Here is a quick scoop on the kit: 

- Designed specifically for the LS2 and accessories but should work with others

- C6 Corvette LS2 oil pan / dipstick / windage tray 

- Energy Suspension Polyurethane Engine and Transmission Mounts

- Designed with maximum header clearance in mind, will work with Hawks Long Tube Headers

- Designed to allow LS2 low mount alternator without clearance issues

- Design to clear stock A/C compressor (but would have to notch frame rail).  I am working on a low mount sanden comrpessor bracket to clear the rails, but I am not finished with it.

- The engine crossmember is modified from a core with new mounts and is designed to bolt into place with no fuss.  Mounts are jig located to fit engine every time.

- Transmission crossmember bolts to the floor with reinforcement plates straddling the frame rails.

-Transmission crossmember is specifically designed to clear a dual 3" mandrel bent exhaust

- Components are laser cut, welded, and powedercoated, test parts are TIG production will liekly be MIG (tbd)

- Engine crossmember is a modified stock unit swapped for a core.

When will they be availbile?

I am targeting 8-10 weeks for the first beta test kits (5) but this may slip due to my availibility,  I expect to offer these kits officially towards the end of the year if things go well. If not this was just a tease ;)

How much will they cost?

TBD, stll need to finalize some things.  I am aiming for a quality 'bolt-in' installation...they will be more expensive then most 'kits' on the market currently.  However I believe there is alot more value in the package I am offering. 

post-352-0-61281900-1435434695_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-00883100-1435434702_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-23004500-1435434710_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple CAD shots:

post-352-0-56546000-1435434832_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-77267300-1435434839_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-13268900-1435434849_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-33990200-1435434856_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, still in the early testing phase but though I would share.  I dont post much because its hard to me to keep up with updates, but I will as time permits.  The best way to stay up to date on the project if you are interested is to follow on facebook www.facebook.com/hokeperformance. I have many more pictures there and will be updating my website soon with even more details. 

Thanks!

-Austin

PS Mods if I should move this to a seperate post just let me know. 

Edited by 240hoke

Looks awesome! If I do another Z, I'd buy your kit.

A couple questions/ideas:

Can we use this kit with a 280z?

Have you considered designing the trans mount in such a way that it tucks completely inside the tunnel, like the original one did. It looks like exhaust clearance is still super tight.

I don't have your skills, but I respect and appreciate guys like you who do. An area that ALL Z guys, regardless of powertrain, need help with is differential mounting. I have worked thru stock diff mount, solid front mount, poly rear mounts to my current RT mount with poly mustache bar mounts. But, the front RT mount poly portion doesn't hold up well in compression and its really a bitchhh to get the diff in and out. I have heard about another mount out there (SW mount?) that I am going to look at. But if you came up with something that would allow the diff to go in and out quickly (even if it required welding to the floorpan) Id be interested in buying it. An added feature to such a part would be independence from the rear LCA mounts, so that a diff could be swapped without involving the rear suspension. I think that is a limitation of the SW mount.

Holy Z mounts Hoke. That is gorgeous, my project is currently sitting pretty. And now I know why. I will definitely be waiting for this. What is your production run plans. Will this be a one time thing or build to order? Great job.hmmmm how's the steering shaft clearance?

Picture I found on LS1Tech researching Dirty Dingo mounts. Looks like it clears steering, but does not allow low mount f body alt bracket? Not 100% sure on the low mount f body bracket as I have not tried it myself.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1737523-another-ls1-swapped-books-76-datsun-280z-3.html link to build thread on LS1tech.

mounts.jpg

Edited by zspeed22

• 2 weeks later...

hey, newer member here, I am in the process of buying my ls and T56 kit as we speak. I am running all the TTT suspension with the 5lug conversion and short nose r200 kit, very very nice IMO. I looked at Hawks 3rd Gen and it seems to me with the pictures Bruce sent, this is some major fab work to only gain long tube headers, CX racing is an option, but I am leaning toward the JCI, due to its simple bolt in option. I know I can gain some HP with long tube headers but with a nicely cammed LS2 or 3 who cares. I have been reading this post, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated if I am missing something. Also for my build I have done the Reaction Research YZ280 widebody kit to run 315 rears and 275 front tires on 17's. Thanks guys for any input.

hey, newer member here, I am in the process of buying my ls and T56 kit as we speak. I am running all the TTT suspension with the 5lug conversion and short nose r200 kit, very very nice IMO. I looked at Hawks 3rd Gen and it seems to me with the pictures Bruce sent, this is some major fab work to only gain long tube headers, CX racing is an option, but I am leaning toward the JCI, due to its simple bolt in option. I know I can gain some HP with long tube headers but with a nicely cammed LS2 or 3 who cares. I have been reading this post, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated if I am missing something. Also for my build I have done the Reaction Research YZ280 widebody kit to run 315 rears and 275 front tires on 17's. Thanks guys for any input.

I would go with JCI, It is proven and no rig ups or fab work involved. Also you can run long tubes with the JCI mounts.

• 4 weeks later...

Trackzspeed, what do you think about the CXracing kit. I talked with someone there, they said I can buy the mounts and headers for 899.00. Just wanted to see what you thought and how the build was going.  I am tossed up between them and Johns. I did not like the single pipe down the middle so was just going to get mounts and headers and run duels if possible.

Trackzspeed, what do you think about the CXracing kit. I talked with someone there, they said I can buy the mounts and headers for 899.00. Just wanted to see what you thought and how the build was going.  I am tossed up between them and Johns. I did not like the single pipe down the middle so was just going to get mounts and headers and run duels if possible.

Just run Johns kit....... Or the one hoke is producing. I did not want to hassle the exhaust fab and I liked the low mount alternator so I chose cxr. Planning to drop my motor and trans in next weekend, then ill give you my opinion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Once the snow flies up here in MN, I am going to be pulling my L28 out of my '78. Just like most I've been collecting information for all portions of my LS2/T56 swap for the last 2 months here and there but life has me busy.

This is the first I've heard of Hoke's kit and I wonder if he has any more prototype mounts I could document for him. I've been contemplating the cxracing kit as well but am not a fan of the small primaries, however they are still longtubes. I see a few cx guinea pigs and I hope to see some updates before too long.

Edited by Stock Car Mafia

• 2 weeks later...

240HOKE - Really nice looking parts  How do you accommodate the steering shaft routing past the headers and the motor mount?  That was an issue JCI faced when developing their kit but John solved it pretty neatly.  I've been running my full JCI equipped car for 12 years and 38,000 miles now with no issues.

Those of you wanting to run AC there is a compact compressor that does the job and does not require notching anything.  That is another thing that had to be worked out on the JCI components.  If someone needs the make/model # of the compressor let me know and I'll send you the info on mine.

I'd go with Austin Hoke's kit.  Two reasons:  He worked with us on the wind tunnel testing at Aerodyn (solid engineering skills) and I've bought other quality stuff from him.

Austin is a Looooong time member of HZ and just look at the parts... That stuff looks factory...

Well done Austin!!