HybridZ
trackzpeed

LS1 240 mounts (facts not opinion???)

Mikelly    115

With the long-tube group purschase headers I still had to notch the mounts to slide them back far enough to clear my drysump pump, and still give room not to hit the headers.  The biggest benefit to them is they are VERY adjustable, atleast the weld on kit was...

Wow those look really clean..... My gut says dirty dingo means stock manifolds.... I'm willing to bet JTR headers will work. I'd be interested to see if cx would sell their headers without the kit.....

JSM    15

Z28 sits in my driveway now... It's way nicer than I expected, so much so I feel bad tearing it down to put in the Z. It sounds really nasty with long tubes and straight pipes into muffler..... Kinda sounds that make small children cry. I can't wait to get this thing in my Z with over 1400+\- less weight.

I know that feeling all to well.  I bought a 99 Firebird w/ 166K miles on it for $4200 mostly stock.  I had so much fun driving that car.  I could only imagine it in my Z.

Ended up selling it needing the money for another house.  One day....

ECUAdam    0

From the pics I have seen posted of the CX trans mount, As rebeckaz said unless your car is close to stock ride height you are going to have trouble running the exhaust. I personally like my exhaust to be tucked up into the floor as much as possible. I also have my z fairly low to the ground. If you run 15 inch wheels you are really going to be in trouble. The ground clearance I gained ftom putting 17's on my car made all the difference in the world. I still stand by the fact that diy mounts are the best. For several reasons.

1. If you do it right you have more clearance to run stuff in the engine bay.

2. You can run a low mount alternator without worrying about hitting the cross member if you shave the stock mountibg places off the cross member.

3. You can buy sanderson headers and bolt them to the engine, then fab your mounts. That way you know the alt, headers, and steering shaft clear before you make the first weld.

Phantom    35

Trackzspeed - The JCI stuff was originally developed on my car which is a '77 280Z.  He then modified it for the 240Z. The goal when we developed all the components was to have an installation where the engine was relatively easily accessible for maintenance and the gearshift came up in the right spot/  This again a little different for the 280 and the 240.

I also had an LS1 out of a '98 Camaro.  FWIW the 97/98 LS1's aren't quite as robust fans the later models and they have a different designed head/valve cover which is harder to find parts for.

Bottom line though, I have every component that JCI offers and I have as yet to have one fail in the 12 years and 37,000 miles I've driven the car.

trackzpeed    5

Trackzspeed - The JCI stuff was originally developed on my car which is a '77 280Z.  He then modified it for the 240Z. The goal when we developed all the components was to have an installation where the engine was relatively easily accessible for maintenance and the gearshift came up in the right spot/  This again a little different for the 280 and the 240.

I also had an LS1 out of a '98 Camaro.  FWIW the 97/98 LS1's aren't quite as robust fans the later models and they have a different designed head/valve cover which is harder to find parts for.

Bottom line though, I have every component that JCI offers and I have as yet to have one fail in the 12 years and 37,000 miles I've driven the car.

Thanks great input. Have you been happy with your 98 swap as a whole?

From the pics I have seen posted of the CX trans mount, As rebeckaz said unless your car is close to stock ride height you are going to have trouble running the exhaust. I personally like my exhaust to be tucked up into the floor as much as possible. I also have my z fairly low to the ground. If you run 15 inch wheels you are really going to be in trouble. The ground clearance I gained ftom putting 17's on my car made all the difference in the world. I still stand by the fact that diy mounts are the best. For several reasons.

1. If you do it right you have more clearance to run stuff in the engine bay.

2. You can run a low mount alternator without worrying about hitting the cross member if you shave the stock mountibg places off the cross member.

3. You can buy sanderson headers and bolt them to the engine, then fab your mounts. That way you know the alt, headers, and steering shaft clear before you make the first weld.

Agreed, that's why I'm doing as much research as possible and hopefully limit headaches for future swappers. Thanks.

I ran the camaro today at my local autoX and won my class. Had a blast all in all. Current plan is to campaign the camaro for this season while I tear down and prep the Z..... Goal is to prep car and collect parts necessary for the swap in the off season and never miss a race. CX has been great with info and claim to sell all or part of their kit depending on what I want.... My car will not sit lower than it does now and for racing applications my fairly low hanging Z exhaust has not been a problem, not sure is the cx exhaust hangs lower or not. Sure wish i knew if the sandersons worked with dirty dingo bolt ins.... time will tell. Thanks a bunch for the input..... Jim

mistafosta    10

Yup, I run JCI stuff on my car. 950rwhp, fastest 1/4 mile times to date for an ls powered Z, and zero problems with the mounts. I did put a poly mount on the drtiver side of the car, but thats the only change I made.

The three things you listed as the pros of your custom kit Trackzspeed, are why I like the JCI stuff so much. I have enough clearance for a massive turbo, two wastegates, and two downpipes (One out the back, one dumps up front with a cover) I run a low mount (Camaro stock mounts) alternator without any issues, and I used to have Sanderson headers which fit perfectly, no mod was needed to steering or anything else to fit them. The only downside I see is that I wish they made a solid mount setup for people like me with stupid levels of HP.

trackzpeed    5

Yup, I run JCI stuff on my car. 950rwhp, fastest 1/4 mile times to date for an ls powered Z, and zero problems with the mounts. I did put a poly mount on the drtiver side of the car, but thats the only change I made.

The three things you listed as the pros of your custom kit Trackzspeed, are why I like the JCI stuff so much. I have enough clearance for a massive turbo, two wastegates, and two downpipes (One out the back, one dumps up front with a cover) I run a low mount (Camaro stock mounts) alternator without any issues, and I used to have Sanderson headers which fit perfectly, no mod was needed to steering or anything else to fit them. The only downside I see is that I wish they made a solid mount setup for people like me with stupid levels of HP.

Great information. Thanks.

ktm    17

Unless 240z's changed transmission mounts, the mount shown in the CX Racing Youtube video is for a 280z unless it is universal.  A 240z tunnel is narrower than a 280z, which is why JCI has two different transmission mount styles.  Below are the two different mounts between a 240z and a 280z.

post-1734-0-23287300-1424754075_thumb.jpeg

post-1734-0-51207500-1424754076_thumb.png

trackzpeed    5

Hi,i have a 71 240 with an ls3/t56 Dirty dingo bolt ins cx trans mount and JTR 13/4 headers,steering shaft clears by 1/8 inch. I"m using Speedway motors LS Hi mount alt bracket and LS brackets A/C bracket. Hope that helps.          Brent

Thanks Brent that awesome information. Great mix and match of kits to make it all work. Can you load up some pictures of your install and your exhaust routing.

Unless 240z's changed transmission mounts, the mount shown in the CX Racing Youtube video is for a 280z unless it is universal.  A 240z tunnel is narrower than a 280z, which is why JCI has two different transmission mount styles.  Below are the two different mounts between a 240z and a 280z.

Looks like the kit has provisions for mounting it in the stock location. I will confirm one I get there.

Sent them an email. They said the trans mout will work with both. They even mention it in the video.There looks to be a hole to bolt stright up. Just waiting on tolerable weather to start.

trackzpeed    5

I've been looking into options for moving the alternator up to clear mounts and they are not cheap..... The more I investigate The JCI kit may be the best bang for the buck unless of course you go off reservation and build your own mounts. Can't wait to see how the cx kit plays out for you Ryan

Need to start tearing into the Z soon and get my party started

Nigel    5

'73 240Z's have the later style trans mount.

Nigel

trackzpeed    5

Time for an update of the "facts" ....

JCI- Way more positive feedback than not.... Difficult fitment seems to related more to a tired Z-car than kit quality.  Works with JTR headers and low mount alternator location.  Very complete kit with a build manual and most of the goodies to get your LS1 Z on the road.  A proven kit all in all.

Dingo- Does work with JTR headers and no change to steering rod.... Trans mount is a pick of everyone else.  Uses stock Z mount locations for good support but needs a high mount alternator bracket to work from what I can tell.... Dingo, speedway, and others sell the bracket for less that $200... Easy motor mount install but after that your on your own to figure out the rest.  With the Hybrid community, it is very doable. 

CXR- No completed builds that I can find to date.... Hybrid member is waiting for nasty weather to clear to start his build so it will be a great benefit to us all when he is able to dive in.  CX keeps adding to their kit for completeness.... Currently with all mounts and full exhaust with LT headers (looks nice IMO), I suspect it will require the high mount alternator as well.  Rumor has it that CX is working on a driveline as well for their kit.  Based on pics, I believe you could use the Dingo mounts with CXR headers & exhaust with any pick of trans mount (FWIW)

Hawks-  Only works with their LT headers from what I can tell....... They offer a trans mount that welds in versus all the other bolt ins... I love to have some feedback from a completed and running build.

DIY- Cheap and easy but you need to dial in placement.  I'm leery of Z frame unibody strength not tied to a crossbar.  Quite a few have been done with success so I would love to hear some feedback from hard driver / track guys. 

Thanks to all for the input.  Jim (trackzpeed)  

crapforum    0

I was going to go the build my own mounts route cause I have a truck motor and wanted to keep the accessories, but that CXR kit is looking promising. Motor, Tranny, Headers, Y pipe combined for less than hawks headers . Fricking overpriced as shit at hawks...

Edited by crapforum

trackzpeed    5

I was going to go the build my own mounts route cause I have a truck motor and wanted to keep the accessories, but that CXR kit is looking promising. Motor, Tranny, Headers, Y pipe combined for less than hawks headers . Fricking overpriced as shit at hawks...

Hawks has been around awhile and is known for high quality parts... You may get what you pay for. I'm holding judgment on the cx stuff until someone actually installs and uses it.

crapforum    0

Hawks headers do look a little nicer, but they don't have any flanges on them where CX's stuff has vbands on everything which is very nice. Dirty Dingo really rubbed me wrong with how they sell their stuff, they charge premium then ask me to pay extra just to get the things coated in something other than raw steel. I'm trying to get my hands on a CX kit to do the review, the full stainless exhaust system peaked my interest.